The wait begins...

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
IMSA/WEC BoP leaves shit majorly corked at times. One year at the Mexico City race, between BoP and the altitude/heat, GT was making under 400 hp.

bullitt2735

Established Member
I saw the Super Stallion at the Mustang Roundup back in the early 2000s. It was super cool. Remember the FR500 as well?
oh man that's so cool! I do remember the fr500 well, back when I had my cobra I dreamed of getting that fancy fr500 intake with one turbo feeding each side of it.
IMSA/WEC BoP leaves shit majorly corked at times. One year at the Mexico City race, between BoP and the altitude/heat, GT was making under 400 hp.
I remember at Le Mans 2018 when I went I think they added 25 pounds or so, lowered max boost, and made them decrease their fuel capacity. I get the point of BoP but agreed it is incredibly hard to get right.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
BOP sadly works as intended. How was the turd of an M8 or the Aston Martin competitive with the NFGT??? They were not. So here we go again in GT3, but who knows where the mustang lands with respect to the others in "uncorked" conditions (remember mustang has become a big vehicle)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The GT3 Mustang deserves a favorable BOP adjustment.

imsa-detroit-2024-05-results-by-class-race-unoffic_240601_232123.jpg

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
BOP sadly works as intended. How was the turd of an M8 or the Aston Martin competitive with the NFGT??? They were not. So here we go again in GT3, but who knows where the mustang lands with respect to the others in "uncorked" conditions (remember mustang has become a big vehicle)
I suppose it‘s sort of flipped around now, with the only way the mustang being competitive (at least against the more proper sports cars in GTD Pro) is with a favorable BOP. It certainly seems like most of the other “large” cars in the class have favorable BOP’s. Obviously that hasn’t happened yet to the stang. I feel bad for the Mac 720S and it’s ~800HP choked down to 500 in race trim. Theoretically, it should dominate GTD Pro.

Any chance there is some sort of retribution left over from the early years of the NFGT racing, where some felt they seriously sandbagged (Ferrari as well) heading into lemans?

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
^^^ Who knows.....

It really is so "homer" based. Anyone that roots for any one of the brands, feels like the BOP is biased against THEM (unless they win). We are going to France for the 24, so sure do hope they are able to be competitive (yes, of course, I feel the BOP is not fair to the Mustang)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Any chance there is some sort of retribution left over from the early years of the NFGT racing, where some felt they seriously sandbagged (Ferrari as well) heading into lemans?
Holy cow, talk about complexity. With respect to BOP it is rather murky when it comes to the "why" before each race. Just trying to find the BOP tables in the WEC is a pain in the ass and then you have to educate yourself as to exactly what they are measuring. I don't see how you can sandbag given all the research and data that is ongoing with every car in the series.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I doubt there’s much to it right now, it’s just a new car. And a lot of the cars are fat tanks at this point. I would expect the Mustang to perform pretty well over the next couple of years.

The thing is, Larry is a big sandbagger with his cars but at least as far as the ACO giving a shit about sandbagging for Le Mans, they love Larry a lot more than they dislike sandbagging (which everyone does). The dude’s organization has a hand in at least half the cars in the field. Chassis design, suspension, actually running the team, etc. Historically a lot of these teams have run unbranded Multimatic components, but all six 963s racing this year have the logo on the car. I doubt they punish a bunch of customer Mustangs this year, especially with a long term German team like Proton, but I have moderate expectations.

BoP internationally is heavily dependent on commitment in my eyes. The ****ed Ford in 2019 because they knew they were leaving, but gifted AM an easy win with a decade old brick as a thank you for prior and future service. And there was a meeting with Ford and the ACO right before the race that really did not go well. I knew they were toast right then but I definitely did not foresee them screwing Keating out of a victory as a side effect. Then Keating asked late if he could privateer a GT full season and they said no, but said yes when he asked if he could run a 911 so they definitely hold the grudge. Ha. IMSA seems a lot less politically motivated.

Users who are viewing this thread