Well, that was humbling. BMW M4 competition.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I’m not positive how much the gears will help with a roll… it probably depends on mph you start and finish vs when you have a shift. The 3.73s will be noticeable though and easier on your clutch. I’m not familiar with your car, but have you pulley’d and tuned it yet? Since it’s with Lidio already, I would talk to him about options and have him knock it out when it’s already there. I know Lidio gets very busy in the summer so this may be your only chance this year. I recommend injectors, BAP, long tubes, non-catted x, cat back, pulley and tune. Perhaps another tune for “race gas” or 93 + additive. That would really wake up your car IMO. You may have to to also upgrade rear tires :)
This is what I have done so far.

Whipple CAI, Whipple Twin 68MMTB, Metco 2.4" upper, Metco Auxiliary Idler Kit, ARS Belt Tensioner, NGK Plugs, MGW Shifter, Nitto NT555 R2s 295/35ZR20s out back

and of course now the 3.73s instead of the stock 3.31

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
2nd, I learned my lesson last year when I ran a C7Z06 and started in 3rd and got fried.
So, put over 100 miles on the new 3.73 and decided to try it out a bit. I still didn't want to drop the hammer 100% yet, but let's just say the pull from 50 in 2nd was insane! Maybe I'm imagining it but I think I would've at least given that BMW a better race with the new gears!

68gtscode

Established Member
^ Sounds great! I put 4.10s in my GT500 to help wake it up, and they were effective. I probably would have preferred 3.73s or 3.89s for a lot of freeway driving. Regardless, if you want to really learn how to maximize your car's roll (and your shifting!) performance in the real world, buy a Dragy. They are cheap, easy to use, very accurate, and extremely insightful. You can see exactly how your car does from different roles in both MPH and time, assess your shifting, etc. From this, you could determine how to maximize your car's potential to give you the best chance against the next guy...

Other than that, it sounds like you've done a lot of the basic mods. Getting more power at this point will be a cost / benefit decision. You could probably spin the blower faster (not sure though) and set it up for better gas. Full exhaust would help. You could also switch out the blower for a Whipple or VMP to get more. I think your car's block will be your limiting factor at around 800-850ish RWHP.

I know you will not like to hear this, but if freeway pulls are your main thing, you would do better selling the car and buying a Gen 2 or 3 Coyote with either the 6R80 or 10R80... One of those cars with a good power adder (Whipple, TVS, or turbo), full exhaust, a return style fuel system on E85 or better, a converter, etc. is pretty hard to beat on the freeway. Even with similar power as your GT500, the auto Coyote will be faster.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
^ Sounds great! I put 4.10s in my GT500 to help wake it up, and they were effective. I probably would have preferred 3.73s or 3.89s for a lot of freeway driving. Regardless, if you want to really learn how to maximize your car's roll (and your shifting!) performance in the real world, buy a Dragy. They are cheap, easy to use, very accurate, and extremely insightful. You can see exactly how your car does from different roles in both MPH and time, assess your shifting, etc. From this, you could determine how to maximize your car's potential to give you the best chance against the next guy...

Other than that, it sounds like you've done a lot of the basic mods. Getting more power at this point will be a cost / benefit decision. You could probably spin the blower faster (not sure though) and set it up for better gas. Full exhaust would help. You could also switch out the blower for a Whipple or VMP to get more. I think your car's block will be your limiting factor at around 800-850ish RWHP.

I know you will not like to hear this, but if freeway pulls are your main thing, you would do better selling the car and buying a Gen 2 or 3 Coyote with either the 6R80 or 10R80... One of those cars with a good power adder (Whipple, TVS, or turbo), full exhaust, a return style fuel system on E85 or better, a converter, etc. is pretty hard to beat on the freeway. Even with similar power as your GT500, the auto Coyote will be faster.
Yes, I'm going to look into getting a dragy. I see one on Amazon for $159.

On the mods, I've discussed next steps with my tuner, Lidio. He advised full exhaust, whipple and possibly E85, though I'd prefer to stick with 93 if possible.

He advised not going over ~730RWHP with the stock block. I've heard/read different things and really, really don't want to blow up the motor, LOL!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

On the mods, I've discussed next steps with my tuner, Lidio. He advised full exhaust, whipple and possibly E85, though I'd prefer to stick with 93 if possible.

He advised not going over ~730RWHP with the stock block. I've heard/read different things and really, really don't want to blow up the motor, LOL!

Get you a draggy.... they are addictive and fun... and humbling lol.

68gtscode

Established Member

I don’t know exactly what they cost these days, but believe my Draggy was $150 a few years ago. They are great tools though.

I don’t know why Lidio would advise you to buy a Whipple and go to E85 if you’re only looking at making 730. I think you could do that with the OEM blower on 93 and minimal fuel mods. Do your homework here. It is my understanding the aluminum blocks are limited to a similar extent as the coyote block (at least Gen 1-2). I made 840rw on a Gen 2 coyote on e85, but was out of blower and advised that I was at the block’s limit. The tuners I have worked with much prefer to tune on e85… even at much higher power levels they have told me they feel much more comfortable. All that said, I have never used Lidio but he has a fantastic reputation. I have watched him race at Norwalk and he certainly seemed to know what he was doing with his own car :)

Users who are viewing this thread