The Final Countdown
Ford Racing announces new Cobra Jet bonus contingency program
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Racing
Hot on the heels of a successful Cobra Jet run at the NHRA’s US Nationals at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis, Indiana, Ford Racing has announced a new bonus contingency program for Cobra Jet racers. Any CJ racer that earns qualifying or higher points toward the 2014 NHRA Manufacturers’ Cup at races from September 2 through November 16 is eligible for a contingency bonus.
“When it comes to heads-up racing in Stock and Super Stock, winning class at the U.S. Nationals is the highest honor,” Ford Racing Drag Racing Competition Manager Jesse Kershaw said. “Our teams continue to push the envelope and put Ford in the winner’s circle with their Cobra Jets.”
In the Stock and Super Stock classes at the U.S. Nationals 128 cars qualified. Of those cars, a whopping 37 were Cobra Jets and eight of them took home class trophies, including:
• Drew Skillman, 2012 Cobra Jet, AA/SA, Ray Skillman Ford, Axalta, Valvoline Max Life
• Joe Shipp, 2012 Cobra Jet, AAA/SA, Ray Skillman Ford, Axalta, Valvoline Max Life
• Charles Downing, 2010 Cobra Jet, G/S, Downing Farms
• Brad Zaskowski, 2014 Cobra Jet, D/S, Downing Farms
• Anthony Bongiovanni, 2008 Cobra Jet, SS/BA, Micro Strategies
• Gary Richards, 2010 Cobra Jet, SS/EA, PC Richards and Sons Electronics
• Randy Hopkins, 2014 Cobra Jet, SSA/A, Varsity Ford
• Brett Candies, 2012 Cobra Jet, SS/BA, Candies Family Racing
With such a strong showing in Indy, Ford racing decided to reward its supporters and give them a little extra incentive as the end of the season approaches.
“As an auto manufacturer, we are in this sport to win championships like the Manufacturers’ Cup. We are committed to supporting Ford teams to win and to achieve that goal,” Jamie Allison, director, Ford Racing, said.
If Ford does win the cup, the participating racers will not only take home bonus contingencies, but they will be presented with a commemorative Manufacturers’ Cup jacket.
“We have won the NHRA Manufacturers’ Cup three years in a row thanks to extraordinary team efforts and Ford is dedicated to supporting our teams as they try to keep that streak alive for a fourth consecutive year,” Jesse added.
Of course, in order to earn any contingencies from Ford Racing, you’ll have to register here. Once registered, you will receive decals specific to their class and series. Drivers will also receive an exclusive Ford Racing drivers’ suit patch.