Are you coming to the SVTP-sponsored drag race for real street Coyotes this weekend?
By Steve Turner
Photos by Stacy Stangz and Steve Turner
While people in the rest of the country are making snowmen, there will be some great modern 5.0 drag racing taking place at Orlando Speed World on Saturday, November 29. With classes for streetable Mustangs—both Coyote and EcoBoost versions—and Coyote-powered F-150s the event, assembled by Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning, promises to be a fun day of quarter-mile passes.
So far, there are a host of significant Mustangs slated to attend. From BMR Suspension’s Kelly Aiken and his VMP TVS-supercharged GT and Revolution Automotive’s Adam Browne and his naturally aspirated GT on the S550 team to players like Christian Morillo’s nitrous-injected 2011 GT and Sai Li’s turbocharged 2012 GT on the S197 side, the variety of cars looks really interesting.
If you want to attend, you can participate in the Roll Call thread here and see what other cars are planning to race. The event will be run in a heads-up fashion and there are no restrictions on tire size. For more on the rules, the classes are as follows:
- Street Coyote Power Adder: Mustangs running a blower or turbo must weigh at least 3,500 pounds. If your Mustang runs nitrous only, it must weight at least 3,400 pounds. Finally, Coyotes running either a supercharger or turbocharger and nitrous must weigh 3,700 pounds.
- Street Coyote Naturally Aspirated: Naturally aspirated Coyotes must weight at least 3,300 pounds.
- Street EcoBoost Mustang: EcoBoost Mustangs must weigh at least 3,300 pounds.
- Street Coyote Truck: Coyote-powered F-150s must weigh at least 4,700 pounds. (Sponsored by More Power Tuning)
Gates open at 9 a.m. and time trials/qualifying will run from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., with eliminations jumping off at 1 p.m. Racing is slated to wrap up around 4 p.m. There might even be an informal dinner get-together after the event.
To reward the participants, a variety of aftermarket companies are pitching in prizes for various categories, including class winners and specialty awards, such as Farthest Traveled, Fastest Stick, Fastest Auto, and Top Qualifier. So far those companies include:
• BMR Suspension (TBD)
• Gulf Racing Fuels (5 gallons of Mach 116 fuel)
• HP Tuners (Ford Pro HPT cable)
• JMS Chip & Performance (PedalMax or BoostMax)
• Piedmont Custom Motorsports ($500 off Coyote engine build with reinforced block)
• Power by the Hour ($400 gift certificate)
• Revolution Auto (MT82 build-up)
• SCT Performance (Two X4 PowerFlash handheld tuners)
• VMP Tuning (Cash prizes)
At the end of the event, the quickest S197 and S550 5.0 Mustangs—Naturally Aspirated and Power Adder—will square off to see which chassis reigns supreme.
We are really looking forward to it, and we’ll bring you complete coverage of the event right here. If you want to participate, there is a $50 entry fee, but spectators may attend for free. If you have any other questions or are interested in sponsoring a prize, email [email protected]