Ready to lift the front wheels as the NMRA racing season kicks off next month?
By Steve Turner
If you live outside of the Sunshine State, we would venture to guess that you are about ready to thaw out your race car and head south for some Spring Break action. Well, the bad news is that 2015 is flying by, but the good news is that we are just inside of a month to go before the NMRA drag racing season kicks off in Bradenton, Florida, from March 5-8, 2015.
“This exciting four-day event features the original turbocharged 200-plus-mph Street Outlaws plus a whole lot more! Ford fans will be treated to wild, wheels up all-Ford drag racing on the quarter-mile and total Blue Oval Ford madness on the manufacturer’s midway plus an all-Ford car show on Saturday and Sunday,” says the NMRA. “It’s the best Spring Break party of the year for Ford fans of all ages and the first race of the year for the NMRA Keystone Automotive Ford Nationals drag racing season!”
You can almost hear the engines and smell the tire smoke! Of course, we will be on hand to cover the whole event, but what makes this year’s season opener even more exciting is the wealth of the specialty classes that the NMRA is hosting. Included in these bonus festivities are the following events:
• Spring Break Shootout Class presented by Blow-By Racing: Any racer with a street-legal vehicle can compete and have a crack at cash and prizes. The winner will drive home in their street car with $1,300!
• VMP Superchargers Terminator/GT500 Shootout Class: This battle of SVT brethren pits the storied 2003-2004 Cobras versus the 2007-2014 Shelby GT500s. These aren’t stockers, though. The class will see some of the quickest SVT Mustangs in the world squaring off to settle this rivalry. This class is also a nice preview of the action happening in May at the SVT Shootout at Maryland International Speedway, which is sponsored by your favorite site, SVTPerformance.com!
• Ford Racing Cobra Jet Showdown presented by Watson Racing: If you don’t get out to the NHRA drag races, you been missing out on some of the quickest factory-built Mustangs running as quick as 8-second quarter-mile e.t.’s. In Bradenton, they will battle for $1,000.
• Tremec Stick-Shift Shootout: Nothing is more exciting than watching stick-shift drag racing. It requires a combination of speed and finesse that is the driver mod. For the third year, the manual masters will square off to see who is the sultan of shifting.
• Fluid Turbo Concepts Turbo Coyote Class: After its introduction last season, this unique class narrows its focus down to just race cars running turbochargers and Coyote 5.0 engines. This is a potent powertrain combo, and the e.t.’s should be ridiculous.
Of course, all these classes are simply additions to the already robust list of regularly schedule classes, including Street Outlaw, Renegade, Coyote Modified, Pure Street, Coyote Stock, Factory Stock, Modular Muscle, Super ’Stang, Truck & Lightning, Open Comp, and True Street.
Officially kicking off the weekend of fun will be the annual Hooters party on Friday March 6. This gathering brings out many of the street and show cars from the event, as well as a who’s who of racers and members of the performance industry.
If you love Ford performance, drag racing, and Florida sunshine, this event is not to be missed. Of course, the opener also sets the stage for the full season of NMRA Ford Drag Racing, and the schedule looks like this:
2015 NMRA Schedule
March 5-8, 2015
21st Annual Nitto Tire NMRA Spring Break Shootout
Bradenton Motorsports Park in Bradenton, Florida
April 9-12, 2015
7th Annual NMRA/NMCA All-Star Nationals presented by Miller Welders
Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia
May 1-3, 2015
15th Annual NMRA Ford Nationals featuring the 3rd Annual SVT Shootout presented by SVTPerformance.com
Maryland International Raceway in Budds Creek, Maryland
June 11-14, 2015
12th Annual McLeod Racing NMRA Ford SUPER Nationals featuring the All-Female Shootout
Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio
July 30-Aug. 2, 2015
10th Annual Nitto Tire NMRA/NMCA Super Bowl of Street Legal Drag Racing
Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, Illinois
October 1-4, 2015
17th Annual Nitto Tire NMRA All-Ford World Finals
Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green, Kentucky
So, mark your calendars, put in for time off, and finish your race car because racing season is upon us. It should be an exciting season, and we can hardly wait to get out there and start covering all the fast Fords.