Ford offers the chance to drive EcoBoost vehicles—and maybe even win one
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company
If you haven’t put yourself behind the wheel of an EcoBoost-equipped Ford, you owe it to yourself to give one a try. Sure, they clock some great mileage when you keep the gas pedal off the floorboard, but when it is planted there, these cars will put a smile on your face.
Those who happen to live near one of the 17 cities serving as stops on this year’s EcoBoost Challenge can get the opportunity to smile big by driving Gas Turbo Direct Injection-equipped F-150s, Fiesta STs, Focus STs, Mustangs, and other models.
“With EcoBoost engines now available across 100 percent of our U.S. light-duty lineup, the EcoBoost Challenge lets consumers experience this innovative technology that helps Ford deliver better fuel economy with a more engaging driving experience than the competition,” Michele Bartlett, Ford group marketing manager for large cars and SUVs, said. “Not only is the EcoBoost Challenge a lot of fun, but getting people in the driver’s seat is the best way for them to experience the craftsmanship, innovation and performance of the Ford lineup.”
Get an idea of what the event is about here…
This year, EcoBoost Challenge participants can see how their driving reflexes stack up against other drivers in the ST Reaction Time Challenge. For Mustang fans, there is a dedicated course to push the pony car’s handling. There is even a street drive available in the new Fusion Hybrid to let you try out some of its high-tech features.
If you have always wanted to drive a manual-transmission car, but never learned how, there is even a bonus event at the EcoBoost Challenge called ShiftPhobia. It offers on-course instruction, from a professional driver, on driving a stick-shift Ford.
If all this sounds like a good time, make sure you sign up in advance right here. That’s the only way to participate in the events, which run on Saturdays in March, April, May, and June in cities across America. The first event is this Saturday in Miami, Florida, but here’s the full schedule so you can find an event near you:
- Miami: Sun Life Stadium, March 7
- Los Angeles: Santa Anita Park, March 14
- Dallas: AT&T Stadium, March 21
- Washington, D.C.: FedEx Field, March 28
- Houston: NRG Park, April 18
- Louisville, Kentucky: Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium, April 25
- Phoenix: WestWorld, May 2
- Concord, North Carolina: Charlotte Motor Speedway, May 2
- Seattle: Emerald Downs, May 9
- Chicago: Arlington Park, May 9
- Cincinnati: Forest Fair Village Mall, May 30
- Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh International Race Complex, May 30
- Orlando, Florida: Orange County Convention Center, June 6
- Philadelphia: Wells Fargo Center, June 6
- San Francisco: Oakland Alameda Coliseum, June 13
- Rochester, New York: Monroe Community College, June 13
- Minneapolis: Mall of America, June 20
The events are first come, first served, so head over to the site and sign up if you live near one of these EcoBoost Challenge stops.