Watch with one eye open as Ford crash tests the Focus RS
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company
Ford definitely knows how to build excitement about a vehicle, especially one that’s as eagerly anticipated as the 2016 Focus RS. To keep that anticipation revved up, the company is releasing a series of documentary videos, which started last week. Offering a behind-the-scenes look at the car’s development, Rebirth of an Icon continues this week with its second installment.
In part two, we get some insight into the process of designing the Focus RS and then lets us see the car undergo crash testing. As we with any vehicle we love, it can be tough to watch them destroyed, so you might want to avert your eyes during certain parts of Episode 3. If you are brave enough, you can watch it right here…
The series will continue with an episode each week and they will play out as follows:
- Episode 3: Hitting the road—A 1,600-kilometre (1,000-mile) drive through epic terrain takes prototypes from high in the Rocky Mountains to the Arizona desert
- Episode 4: Test-track trials—Ken Block heads for Ford’s top-secret test facility, and indulges in some “hooning”
- Episode 5: Arctic extremes—Winter testing in Sweden, and the team is under pressure to improve performance
- Episode 6: Power struggle—It’s all about performance, as the Ford manufacturing plant in Saarlouis, Germany, gears up for production
- Episode 7: Close scrutiny—The day of the critical sign-off drive follows Block’s headline appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Episode 8: Final chapter—It’s time for the nail-biting management review
And, don’t worry. As each episode is released we’ll share them with you here so you don’t miss out.