Synthetic Oils

R1CH_P

Established Member
what is the factory fill? Says 5w20 but is that full synthetic?

I think the Motorcraft oil that comes in our cars is a synthetic blend.

OP, everyone has their own opinion about what's THE best oil... if you are going to change over to a full synthetic oil, you should be OK if you go with one of the following; Royal Purple (probably what I'll change to after I get 1000 miles), Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Redline. There are other good oils, but these 4 are the most popular that people change out to.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
For the 5.0, are you staying 5W/20 or switching to a robust 5W/30 Full Synthetic???? Somebody give a shout out to the Unleashed Beast as he is the Oil Guru...Lots of good choices....

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
If owned one I would use 5W/20 Mobile1 or Valvoline Full Synthetic...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Don't be afraid to put in 10/30 weight. The 5 wt is simply for gas mileage believe it or not. If you plan to run your car, go with the heavier weight. Most of us don't start our cars in -100, so the 20 isn't needed.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
Don't be afraid to put in 10/30 weight. The 5 wt is simply for gas mileage believe it or not. If you plan to run your car, go with the heavier weight. Most of us don't start our cars in -100, so the 20 isn't needed.

Huh? The 20 value is the hot weight of the oil. The 5 value is the cold start weight. Your logic is backward. 10w30 will be heavier at normal operating temp, so it's going to drag on the engine more.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Huh? The 20 value is the hot weight of the oil. The 5 value is the cold start weight. Your logic is backward. 10w30 will be heavier at normal operating temp, so it's going to drag on the engine more.

Oops, bass ackward lol. It's been a long day

5/20 is primarily for mileage though. It was the main reason they switched to it ~2001 . They were able to eek out a few extra tenths of a mile/gal, which all contribute to their CAFE numbers. It's fairly well documented why they did it.

The factory fill is perfectly fine though, but if you plan on pushing your motor, you should at least consider a heavier weight oil.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
20W/50 in a Ford GT or Gt 500 Maybe, not in a 5.0. Try using a robust 5W/30 Full Synthetic...RP, Redline, Amsoil etc., lots of good choices...

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Does motorcraft make a full synthetic 5w20?

Does switching oils void your powertrain warranty, well for the motor that is?

NavStar

Established Member
The 20/50 was not on any of my Fords... I had an older car and I ran that...

My bigest question is; can I run a Full Synthetic with only 600 miles or do I need to wait for 1K or more miles?

grnenvy

Established Member
I could be wrong but I don't think u want to run to thick of an oil in this motor or any newer engine. They have oil fed tensioners and oil squirters that could get clogged just run what Ford tells u to and if your worried about it breaking down just change the oil ever 3k miles. This isn't Rocket science!
Oh and the thinner the oil is the more pwr the engine will make.
Yeah thick oil is harder to turn.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Since when is it a good idea to run 10/30 on a ford modular engine? This isn't an OHV 5.0 where you could easily slide a marble through the oil passages...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Since when is it a good idea to run 10/30 on a ford modular engine? This isn't an OHV 5.0 where you could easily slide a marble through the oil passages...

They run 50wt on the GT500 and ran 30wt on the earlier mods:shrug:

Oh, I forgot to add that the BOSS 302 factory fill is 5w50. Ford knew these cars would lead a hard life, so they went with a higher temp oil.

If you are planning on running your car hard, don't be afraid of going to a heavier weight oil.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
how many quarts exactly do these motors hold? ie- what is recommend?

Im going to change the oil soon as I am nearing 1k miles

ViciousJay

Established Member
how many quarts exactly do these motors hold? ie- what is recommend?

Im going to change the oil soon as I am nearing 1k miles

1. it holds 8 qts :eek: haha yea, start with 7.5 and go from there

2. DO NOT CHANGE IT YET, honestly i drive mine till it said it needed it which was 5k and i have yet to hear any piston slap or noisy valves like others complain about

Users who are viewing this thread