2013 GT now takes 5w50??

SicShelby09

Banned
2013 Mustang 5.0 now takes 5w50. - Ford Mustang Forums

KGrHqZHJEIE88cr5F8BPPjKF1mg_4.gif

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Possible, or it could just be a Boss oil cap. In any event I wouldn't use Ford's recommendation, be it 5w20 or 5w50.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The theory now is that since no oil squirters, no need for the thinner oil. The boss and shelby take it. That 5w50 shit aint cheap either. $100 oil change for the shelby at ford. I know, I had one.

The GT500 has squirters now and uses the some oil.

SicShelby09

Banned
Possible, or it could just be a Boss oil cap. In any event I wouldn't use Ford's recommendation, be it 5w20 or 5w50.

Yeah I know its not a hoax. There are others that have posted up in that thread that just got 13's and they say they have the 50 cap. They also say they have the track pak.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
This has been discussed much on other forums. To summarize what we know so far:

1. In addition to the GT500s and Boss Mustangs, the 2013 Track Pack came with an oil cap stating 5w-50 was required. However, the manual still said 5w-20. In response, Ford has issued a supplement to the owner's manual stating the Track Pack GT needs 5w-50.

2. According to a Ford rep on ALLMUSTANGFORUMS, there is no mechanical difference between the 2013 GT and the 2013 GT Track Pack. The difference is only the "expected use" of the motor, i.e. for track use.

3. This would imply that 5w-50 could be used in the regular 2013 despite what the owner's manual said. When asked whether that was true, the Ford rep did not directly answer. Further, even if the regular 2013 GT could use 5w-50, she did not comment on whether this logic could be applied to the 2011-2012 GTs or whether the oil squirters precluded it.

Bottom line, at least for the 2013s, it would seem the 5w-20 might be "required" only for CAFE, as many have suspected. However, it could still be argued there is a mechanical reason for the 5w-20 on the 2011 and 2012 models.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Oil viscosity selection depends on more than just the engine, but how the engine will be used. For grocery getting, and obviously CAFE law standards, a 5W-20 grade could be used. For extended session road racing, obviously the lubricant is going to achieve a much higher heat threshold. This would require a more viscous lubricant.

5W-50 Motorcraft and Castrol Castrol rapidly shear to a lighter grade, so the option to use a superior true synthetic 10W-40 for road racing application is a far wiser selection.

5W-20 Motorcraft (and other brands) are less viscous that what I prefer when aggressive street driving and drag racing events occur. This is where 30 grade lubricants are the choice for me. A true synthetic 10W-30 has the cold flow performance of a lesser base stock 5W-30, yet far superior shear resistance. This means that it will be superior for use in street cars used above 32*F all year long (southern cars). For northern cars driven in harsh winter climates, started multiple times a day, I recommend a robust true synthetic 0W-30.

For the record, Mobil 1, Castrol and Pennzoil have been using highly refined petroleum in their mixtures for years. When I say "true synthetic", the main brand big oil bottles on the shelf are NOT what I'm referring to.

For you computer programmers out there. . .

int Mobile 1, Castrol, Pennzoil != 100% true synthetic *obviously this would create an error, but you get the point*

Last edited:

lukem80

Established Member
I don't post often.. but when I do I trololoolololol!!!

I'm going to put in the ford juice that ford tells me to use and in 10 years when this thing is on its 4th owner and half beat to death I won't care

cababah

Established Member
...and there you have it. Straight from Ford.

Use 5w-20 if you care about mpg
Use 5w-50 if you care about your engine.

$100 says 90% of 5.0 owners now switch to 5w-50.

Thanks a lot, Ford...2 years after the engine's release and we now finally know what the proper oil is for the engine if we want longevity. Guess the owners manual is garbage. :rollseyes

SicShelby09

Banned
...and there you have it. Straight from Ford.

Use 5w-20 if you care about mpg
Use 5w-50 if you care about your engine.

$100 says 90% of 5.0 owners now switch to 5w-50.

Thanks a lot, Ford...2 years after the engine's release and we now finally know what the proper oil is for the engine if we want longevity. Guess the owners manual is garbage. :rollseyes

I disagree. The oil squirter debate sounds more relevant. The cars that have it may need thinner oil as not to raise the oil pressure too high trying to get that heavy oil through there. That sounds right, but who knows.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Sometimes I wonder whether folks bother reading the current posts before popping in with a new post.

There seems to be info that would suggest 5w-50 is okay for the 2013 GT, as least from a warranty standpoint, since the 2013 GT and the 2013 GT Track Pack are mechanically identical. However, Ford has said/done nothing that would indicate it is okay for the 2011 or 2012 GTs. Since there are minor changes to the engine for 2013 (like the oil squirters, as SicShelby09 said), we will probably never really get a definitive answer from Ford.

This says nothing about the validity of UNLEASHBEAST's argument; however, it's more about what Ford can claim in the event of an engine failure and less about what's actually best for the engine.

Last edited:

cababah

Established Member
Sometimes I wonder whether folks bother reading the current posts before popping in with a new post.

There seems to be info that would suggest 5w-50 is okay for the 2013 GT, as least from a warranty standpoint, since the 2013 GT and the 2013 GT Track Pack are mechanically identical. However, Ford has said/done nothing that would indicate it is okay for the 2011 or 2012 GTs. Since there are minor changes to the engine for 2013 (like the oil squirters, as SicShelby09 said), we will probably never really get a definitive answer from Ford.

This says nothing about the validity of UNLEASHBEAST's argument; however, it's more about what Ford can claim in the event of an engine failure and less about what's actually best for the engine.

Except the 13' GT500 also has piston cooling jets and calls for 5W-50...your move. ;)

Edit. Didn't realize it was you, Cid! This is ongoing on AFM too

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You guys are assuming that a 50 grade lubricant is required because there are no piston squirters, assuming that a 50 grade is too viscous to pump through a squirter.

The truth is, the lack of squirters means the piston is going to be much hotter without a constant flow of oil cooling it down. Hotter oil around the piston means a lubricant with a higher high temp/high shear HT/HS is required. This is the viscosity of a lubricant at 300*F (150*C)

20 grade lubricants are in the 2.8 range (too light for road racing heat)

50 grade lubricants are in the 4.5-5.0 range - good for road racing (robust true synthetic 40 grades are as well)

Users who are viewing this thread