Accufab TB impressions......

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I installed an Accufab TB today, courtesy of my friend and SVT member Brandon (CajunCreeper). I have to say, I was not expecting anything from it. I figured since he was not using it and he was willing to let me borrow it...I might as well. Install took 5 minutes. Very nice looking unit as well in polished billet.

I have no empirical evidence, but here are my impressions:

1. Throttle response and part throttle driving has been improved and sharpened. The car feels like it has more midrange;

2. It revs more freely. I wound it up and I have never had the car wind to 7k quicker. I have been driving this car daily for a year, and I know exactly how quickly it winds up. There was a noticeable difference.

I am satisfied with this. I don't know how much these cost, but the car feels better for sure with this installed.

Track times soon.

Mike

try03venom

Established Member
I had one just sold it in favor of a BBK 85mm reason being Accufab takes a 4" dia coupler. Accufab 84.5mm uses the same blank as their 90mm. BBK uses a 3.5" same size as most CAI's.

drewzx3

Established Member
It was free for me to try. So, I really cannot say. I will say that there is a noticeable difference in feel. But that may not translate to a difference in ET or MPH.

Mike

We should track test it mike. If not on your car my car. My car is very consistent so if there is something to be picked up at the track we will know.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I cant see how swapping out a TB, not tuning it when its a drive by wire system and gaining if any power :shrug: or ETs

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Shaun said no tune required.

Mike

I'd like to hear more on this. If it is not requiring a tune change, then that would lead me to believe there is not a significant difference seen from changing to this component.:??:

86merc

Established Member
The additional air flow it may offer can be compensated by the ECU. I am sure it is not going to offer huge gains anywhere in the rpm that the ECU couldn't adjust to. Ford optimized the throttle body before the engine went into production. It isn't like the old pushrod throttle body that was 58mm, or what ever it was. The 80mm factory unit works very well. And the Accufab unit uses Ford electronics so no changes in the tune for throttle input.

The factory throttle body I read flows just over 900cfm. That is more than the coyote needs in stock form. So not sure if the Accufab will be able to get more air into the motor anywhere in the rpm range. I really want to test one out. I have access to a dyno but don't know if I want to spend the money on one to find out it isn't worth the cost. haha If they were a good buy i would think many would be posting about it by now. Or I would think at least.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
The additional air flow it may offer can be compensated by the ECU. I am sure it is not going to offer huge gains anywhere in the rpm that the ECU couldn't adjust to. Ford optimized the throttle body before the engine went into production. It isn't like the old pushrod throttle body that was 58mm, or what ever it was. The 80mm factory unit works very well. And the Accufab unit uses Ford electronics so no changes in the tune for throttle input.

The factory throttle body I read flows just over 900cfm. That is more than the coyote needs in stock form. So not sure if the Accufab will be able to get more air into the motor anywhere in the rpm range. I really want to test one out. I have access to a dyno but don't know if I want to spend the money on one to find out it isn't worth the cost. haha If they were a good buy i would think many would be posting about it by now. Or I would think at least.

That's a good, informative post. Thanks.
I'll probably use those $500 on a DS then...

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I will say this. I noticed more of a difference in the way the car drives than I did with the aluminum driveshaft. More power? If there is, the difference is too small to detect. However, the car is sharper, revs more easily and feels fatter in the midrange. I am going to dyno the car soon, and it is very easy to swap this around to see if there is any gain.

Mike

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
i had read several weeks ago on a few posts where a throttle body was installed and they reported the drivability was improved way more than expected , i too have to say there will probably be minimal gains but my car seems to need a little better throttle response. dont know if it would be worth $550 but we will see

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
i had read several weeks ago on a few posts where a throttle body was installed and they reported the drivability was improved way more than expected , i too have to say there will probably be minimal gains but my car seems to need a little better throttle response. dont know if it would be worth $550 but we will see

Precisely. I expected nothing but issues. I figured I would have to do a KAM reset and idle relearn. However, I bolted it on and went...and there was a noticeable difference in the feel of the car.

Am I advocating people run out and spend $550 on this? Not really. It was free to try, so I am giving some impressions of it. However, it does work.

Mike

ford20

Established Member

Here is a dyno test that Matt D did when he installed the Accufab unit onto his car. IMO it will be well worth it once you break into the engine and start going in with heads and cams as the extra airflow can be utilized. I know the results might not seem what other people expect or might occur but it is my opinion that Matt is a standup guy and wouldn't fool around with the results. It is something that I plan on doing when I do my swap soon, for those committed to staying N/A it seems like it would be a worthwhile mod in my book ..... But then again I am told that I am crazy so who knows :shrug:

Put the car on the roller today to prepare the car for florida. Made a few pulls and then swapped to the new 85mm T body from Accufab. I was expecting 5hp at most and would of been happy with that.

IMG-20120228-01218.jpg

IMG-20120228-01221.jpg

So withen 10 mins I made the pull with the T body (no changes made to the tune). Red line is the after results. The mid range pick up is insane and the torque shot up even with the boss intake I was shocked.

IMG-20120228-01222.jpg

Very happy with the results, this is a major game changer for the boss intake users worried about what they lost in the low / mid range. We are talking 20hp mid range and just over 20 flbs of trq!

Users who are viewing this thread