Amsoil Signature series 10w30

Napoleon85

Established Member
I think you're going to get a variety of responses here, but the biggest issue is going to be the climate you run the car in. If you look up threads by unleashedbeast, there is a healthy amount of discussion on this topic here and elsewhere.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I run it in my 12 as well. Just make sure to let the car run a little longer when its cold before driving it.

Same here. Can't imagine in Texas you'd have much cold weather to worry about.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I run 5w-20 sig series , and its cold this morining. I let my car warm up for 10minutes runs great ....I went 4000 miles on original oil that came with the car then put sig series 5w-20 in, now at 9900 miles, I will change it at 15k miles. Love this oil. I will add gear oil to rear end come spring already have it in my mt-82.

AnthonyNoz

Established Member
i run it too in nyc....just start getting that infamous ticking noise as soon as i start the car up lol.....love the oil though.....make sure to only use the amsoil oil filter though part # EA017

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Why are you guys using 10w-30 in the first place? It's not a race motor, even in hot Texas you shouldn't be using an oil that's that thick when it's cold. I would strongly recommend 5w-30. 10w-30 is a very dated weight and save for a few cars, it really has no purpose.

At 80*f(cold start in TX) 10w-30 is not protecting you any more than 5w-30.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Why are you guys using 10w-30 in the first place? It's not a race motor, even in hot Texas you shouldn't be using an oil that's that thick when it's cold. I would strongly recommend 5w-30. 10w-30 is a very dated weight and save for a few cars, it really has no purpose.

Please explain your logic

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member

It was explained to me this way: Amsoil 10W30 is lighter than most conventional oils at 5W30. A traditional oil at 10W30 would be heavier thus helping us in hotter climates upon startup. So add the fact that Amsoil is lighter and we almost essentially run a weight equal to 5W30.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

It's simple. Read this thread, and all of your comments will be answered. No offense, but you don't know much about lubricants. You are shooting from the hip with "what you have heard" not what you truly know.

Why 10W-30?

Users who are viewing this thread