Track app afr readings?

DIB5.0

Established Member
Anyone compare their dyno wot afr with their track app afr? I read when tuned the track app will read a point lower? True?

kevinp

Established Member
Most dyno widebands are set for 100% gasoline, 14.7:1 or so stoic.

These cars are set for E10, 14.079:1 stoic.

So if the dyno wideband shows 12:1 the dash will show 11.55 or so (.82 lambda)

D.T.R

Established Member
In addition, a wideband placed on your muffler's tip, will most likely read leaner than the one at the cats. With that being said, your stock AFR reading isn't necessarily richer, it might actually be spot on based on the location of the sensor on the exhaust system. That's why when i throw my car on the dyno, I jack it up and have the dyno's wideband hooked up on the stock secondary's bung in the cat or midpipe.... that way i can compare what my 02 sensor is reading vs the dyno's 02 sensor... and both placed in the same area of the exhaust.

Last edited:

Ratchet

Established Member
My AFR on the dyno was 12.5 right thru the whole RPM band pretty much with the sniffer in the tailpipe, while my track apps gauge reads 11.7ish at WOT on the street.:beer:

D.T.R

Established Member
track apps i swear is the best feature they could put on these new mustangs...
I'm going to use the $hit out of that, especially while being boosted...

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Mine was spot on until I switched to E85, wish I could recal the instrument cluster for E85 stoich.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
track apps i swear is the best feature they could put on these new mustangs...
I'm going to use the $hit out of that, especially while being boosted...

Ditto, awesome app. I'm gettin' giddy! In my previous stang, I had to add the Aeroforce gauge with wideband to have this luxury.

Torchy

Established Member
Ditto, awesome app. I'm gettin' giddy! In my previous stang, I had to add the Aeroforce gauge with wideband to have this luxury.
Mos def!

Mine reads 10.6 at WOT on track apps and dyno sniffer at Shelby's dyno here in Vegas read 11.5-11.3 at the tail pipe.

Seems like a combo of both, placement and different math calculations as Kevinp mentioned.

13BremboGT

Established Member
it even tells you the cyl head temp, oil press, and trans temp. It's so baus.

Man, and all this time I was thinking I had to buy another Aeroforce. Good job Ford!

I just want to know how to get it to show boost, like the GT500 does. That still seems to be a complete mystery. Sorry...not trying to hijack the thread.

Shaun@AED

As KevinP pointed out, the major difference between dyno Air Fuel readings and Track Apps is the difference in Stoich values.

For reference:
Measured Air Fuel = Stoich * Lambda

Since *most* dyno widebands are calibrated for Pure gas the Air fuel on the dyno sheet will be leaner than the *actual* air fuel given 10% Ethanol.

This is why we tune with Lambda. Lambda never changes, 1.0 = Stoich, regardless of fuel used. O2 sensors always *find* true stoich, regardless of fuel.

I have an ECM 1500 Wide Band that prints the Air Fuel graph on the dyno sheet (calibrated for 14.64 stoich) and an ECM 1600 Lambda meter for tuning (only reads Lambda). Same goes for logging the 2011+ Fords, I only care about Lambda. Air fuel is simply a calculation based on Lambda and *programmed* Stoich.

SCT93COBRA

Established Member
As KevinP pointed out, the major difference between dyno Air Fuel readings and Track Apps is the difference in Stoich values.

For reference:

Since *most* dyno widebands are calibrated for Pure gas the Air fuel on the dyno sheet will be leaner than the *actual* air fuel given 10% Ethanol.

This is why we tune with Lambda. Lambda never changes, 1.0 = Stoich, regardless of fuel used. O2 sensors always *find* true stoich, regardless of fuel.

I have an ECM 1500 Wide Band that prints the Air Fuel graph on the dyno sheet (calibrated for 14.64 stoich) and an ECM 1600 Lambda meter for tuning (only reads Lambda). Same goes for logging the 2011+ Fords, I only care about Lambda. Air fuel is simply a calculation based on Lambda and *programmed* Stoich.

Well said! No matter what you get at the pump, with Lambda it takes any error out of the equation.

forcefedcobra

Established Member

For reference:

Shaun is it correct that the factory tune goes to lambda after 10 seconds of wot? Been seeing lots of boss motors pop rods while on the road track with the track key program.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
it even tells you the cyl head temp, oil press, and trans temp. It's so baus.

I have an ODBII plug that syncs via bluetooth to my cellphone that gets mounted next to my stereo that does the same and more :D.

I can do the 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile etc. onward along with read all kinds of things on the car I have no use for.

While the idea of having it OEM is neat, my $20 adapter vs trading my 2011 in for a 2013-2014 works for me anyday!

D.T.R

Established Member
I just want to know how to get it to show boost, like the GT500 does. That still seems to be a complete mystery. Sorry...not trying to hijack the thread.

I doubt we'll be able to see that via track apps unless it's already there (which is not the case) :(

Users who are viewing this thread