what kind of oil?

TXSVT1

Established Member
About to do my first oil change and I am wondering what kind of oil to use? I have a 2013 gt premium. Also what kind of plugs are you guys running with tunes NA.? Also any tricks to changing the oil or plugs? Thanks

CorDog009

Established Member
I just run Mobil 1, I swapped to Royal Purple throughout my truck last year and no noticeable difference in anything. I don't do oil samples though.

Rct851

Established Member
Just did the first oil change and went with amsoil SS 10-30. The motor may be a hair quieter at idle, maybe. Car runs good though, or atleast runs lol

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
About to do my first oil change and I am wondering what kind of oil to use? I have a 2013 gt premium. Also what kind of plugs are you guys running with tunes NA.? Also any tricks to changing the oil or plugs? Thanks

I used SS 10w30 Amsoil when I was on gasoline, now I run 10w30 Dominator Amsoil on E85.

For plugs while you are N/A stick to the stock motorcraft.

-Thomas

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
What's the real difference between 5-20 and 10-30 other then the viscosity? People say 10-30 is better but where's the evidence?

toomnymods

Established Member
using 5W-20 Amsoil Signature Series.. I love this oil.. But I'm also wondering if the 10W-30 SS oil from Amsoil would offer better protection?

burke985

Established Member
Using Amsoil 5w 20 and I called about every person there was to call to ask about what oil to run with the TVS. Everyone of them said stay with the 5w20 even with the blower , I called Ford Racing, the Ford dealership I bought my car at, Amsoil, Roush, The Shop That Put My Blower on...etc etc you get the point but they all said stay with 5w20 and use either Amsoil, Motorcraft, or Mobil 1. I'll be changing every 3 thousand miles anyhow with the blower.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. Amsoil RD30 excluded.

8 quart fill (Coyote GT)
8.5 quart fill (Track Pack GT & Boss 302)

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short tripped, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures, is lightly to moderately modded, and street or drag raced frequently....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car for extended sessions....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is heavily modded, producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this. This lubricant must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market. The Royal Purple 20-500 is the same oil filter.

If you have the Getrag MT82 6 speed manual

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this even if you road race your car, are experiencing grinding, or simply want the smoothest shifting possible on the street.

If you have the 6R80 automatic 6 speed, this lubricant will help it survive the worst torture, lower internal friction, and reduce heat.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill *With a torque converter swap, you will not need more than 10 quarts if you do not flush the external transmission cooler.*

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 – buy 3 quarts to insure you always have enough no matter what differential cover is installed

Don't forget the friction modifier *Ford XL-3 is another great option here*

Amsoil Slip Lock - pour in 2 ounces (half bottle). If the differential still chatters, use the remaining two ounces.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Why the difference?

Dominator is a racing formulation that has enough TBN (detergent additives) for continued street use. It's high in ZDDP and the most aggressive anti-wear package that Amsoil offers for high HP engines that are well outside their intended design.

You can see from my list above, it's recommended for cars that are tuned to the edge and high in HP. The down side is more frequent oil changes, but in my opinion, it's more than worth it.

*more frequent when compared to other Amsoil formulations that only require once a year oil changes*

Last edited:

Chuckieduck

Established Member
What about Royal Purple? That's what I'm running. But this is my "keeper" Mustang that I have no intensions on getting rid of I want to make sure I can get as much longevity out of it possible. Is my current oil good enough or are you saying Amsoil is that much better I should switch? My engine is stock for now but I run her kinda hard sometimes.

numbnutz

Established Member
Dominator is a racing formulation that has enough TBN (detergent additives) for continued street use. It's high in ZDDP and the most aggressive anti-wear package that Amsoil offers for high HP engines that are well outside their intended design.

You can see from my list above, it's recommended for cars that are tuned to the edge and high in HP. The down side is more frequent oil changes, but in my opinion, it's more than worth it.

*more frequent when compared to other Amsoil formulations that only require once a year oil changes*

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread