New TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications

SVTStampede

Established Member
Why do I have a feeling that this is a dark day for the 5.0.

They are even looking for cars that had batteries disconnected/dead.

In the hands of the average tech, I see this TSB causing many warranty law violations.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I love the forums but Ford is all over them looking for dirty info and tricks that we have found to screw them over on the warranty. To be completely honest this looks like a scare tactic. This is nothing that wasn't put out before.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I love the forums but Ford is all over them looking for dirty info and tricks that we have found to screw them over on the warranty. To be completely honest this looks like a scare tactic. This is nothing that wasn't put out before.

Right. It's just ford covering their own ass. They may have been more lenient in the past with this type of thing, but in this day of a poor economy, anemic car sales etc. No manufacturer is going to spend money they don't need to.

In the mean time until this tuning issue gets resolved (it will, there's just a learning curve), I'll focus on things like exhaust and possibly some suspension goodies. Okay, maybe I'll do a K&N drop in filter! HAH!

KenB

Established Member

Sure it is! This is an official TSB. That means every dealer all over the country is getting this bulletin. This is the result of them being all over these forums. So instead of them having to try and identify these issues by combing through the forums, this is how they get the word out to the dealer in an official way.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Ford has had this warranty policy for years, they just were not able to detect it like they can now. Just think of how much this cost them with the 6.0L when people put programmers on them. Keep in mind most of the problems came from either the knock sensor being turned down and or some defective pistons/rings if it has happened to any stock cars. So the moral of the story is its your car and you can do anything you want to it but it may cost you some money out of your pocket to fix it if it breaks. Ford does make a tuner/folter/muffler pack for these cars and you can still keep a 3/36 powertrain if installed when new or a 12/12 if its after the delivery of the car and if you have a stick car you can get a supercharger and still have a powertrain warranty as well. The lesson to be learned with the new 5.0 is if you want to find the limit of the powertrain you may have to pay to fix it just like you payed to mod it. Maybe the aftermarket part manufactures should have to pay for the repair if it can be proven that there part caused the damage. That would be fair right if the part was used as designed? Just my .02

BOD89LX

Established Member
The problem there is try taking in one with mods and they will void your warranty as well.

This is real BS...Those (problem Free) 3400 Lb. LS3's are starting to look REAL
GOOD right about now!!!

andymarkv

Established Member
I noticed that this TSB includes the 2011 F150.....
I wonder just how much boost can you dial in with a tune on the 3.5 ecoboost......?

KenB

Established Member
I noticed that this TSB includes the 2011 F150.....
I wonder just how much boost can you dial in with a tune on the 3.5 ecoboost......?

Zero currently. Ford encrypted the ecoboost computers to make it much more difficult for us to tune them. No one has a tuning solution for them yet.

Obviously people have tuned the SHO (I tuned the first 12 second one :beer:) but that computer was unencrypted. All new ecoboost cars are not so lucky.

andymarkv

Established Member
Zero currently. Ford encrypted the ecoboost computers to make it much more difficult for us to tune them. No one has a tuning solution for them yet.

Obviously people have tuned the SHO (I tuned the first 12 second one :beer:) but that computer was unencrypted. All new ecoboost cars are not so lucky.

I totally forgot that the F150's also have the 5 liter and that this TSB is specific to them.

My brain just went to the huge gains that the ecoboost SHO is seeing and figured the trucks would be right there.

I can totally understand why they are making it harder for the trucks....adding power to something that might get worked could cause a lot of different kinds of failures.
I'm sure it wouldn't be long before we'd see the YouTube video of a guy pulling a D9 Caterpillar with his F150....

But man a tuned up ecoboost F150 should be pretty stout!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
YES a Vette is ~3400#'s....and with Just a tune are turning mid 11's in the Cooler weather...And MOST IMPORTANTLY NO Glass Motor!!!

But dude that's a 50,000 dollar car. Have some comon sense. And the coyote is not a glass motor. There are alot of stock coyotes well over 500whp and runing low 10 second et without failing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BOD89LX

Established Member
I would like to see a C6 non ZO6 run mid 11's with just a "tune", that aside how is the 5.0 a glass motor when you can safely add 100+ hp and not have to worry about it? Ford will even warranty it if you buy the pars they engineered.

YES a Vette is ~3400#'s....and with Just a tune are turning mid 11's in the Cooler weather...And MOST IMPORTANTLY NO Glass Motor!!!

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
This is real BS...Those (problem Free) 3400 Lb. LS3's are starting to look REAL
GOOD right about now!!!
LMFAO at problem free..you do realize what company makes the corvette right?! Ever heard of "Service Column Lock" lol.

A 3100lb LS6 sounds even better to me though ;)

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
sky-is-falling.thumbnail.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread