Cause of the #8:

#8 Cylinder:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaun@AED

The cause of the #8 failures.

Put simply, it is NOT a Factory Ford problem.
Detonation is causing the failures.
The short of it:
Tunes with as much as 5 degrees of 'Global' spark added, knock sensor activity in some cases decreased (exagerating the issue).

The long of it:
These motors are octane limited. From the factory they run low ignition timing due to the following factors:
1. 11:1 compression
2. Variable cam timing which increases dynamic compression
3. Low *motor* octane pump gas fuel

Below is a short list of just a few Factory settings in a GTU6 calibration.
Stoich :14.079
WOT base Lambda: .85 to 5K richening to .82 by 6250 (that's .82 x 14.079)
Individual cylinder timing modifier: -2 degrees from 4-7K RPM on the #8 (but not the only cylinder with reduced timing)
Octane Spark modifier: -3 degrees @ high load
Knock sensor retard max: -6 to 4K dropping to -4 by 6K
Knock sensor retard rate: 1 to 1.5 (that's seconds per degree removed), so it would take 6 seconds to remove 4 degrees at 6K RPM (at a rate of 1.5).

On top of that there are 16 Boarderline knock tables, 16 MTB spark tables with all the conditional modifiers you can think of, including individual cylinder multipliers. (Obviously Ford knows some cylinders run hotter than others)

This is still a good'ol Mod motor and suffers from the same heat issues in the rear of the driver side head as all the others. As evidence the Factory stock tune removes 2 degrees of timing from the #8.

Now for the real 'cause' of the problem....

1. The aftermarket was rushed to produce support for the 2011 Fords. With an all new ECU on top of a new drivetrain, this would normally take a good year of testing to get proper software onto the market, yet tuning support was released just weeks after the 5.0 hit the dealer lots.

2. Due to the design and complexity of the new ECU, the tuning strategy is NOT the same as any previous Ford ECU. This was not realized at first. Torque calculation (for one) plays a much larger role. Widebands, frequency based maff, and variable cam timing have been added just to name a few obvious changes.

3. No tuner/shop in the country was prepared to properly tune these vehicles the way Ford does it....how could they. Ford does not offer tune training classes.

4. Popular datalog software used on previous Fords doesn't work correctly on the 2011's. Go WOT while datalogging and the software drops data, including Knock sensor activity and total timing. To add insult to injury those tuners with Dynojets have ended up with Blown stacks when running the 2011's on their dyno. Now they have no dyno and no data! What's a tuner to do?

5. The old way of tuning an all-motor Ford was employed.... (Ford MUST have tuned these motors just as conservative as previous years right???) Add timing and lean it out. Low and behold it made more power on the dyno, but running in mild detonation does make more power on the dyno.

Those of us with Dataloggers that DO work on the 5.0 immediately saw that adding timing resulted in higher knock sensor activity on pump gas, and we therefore did NOT increase ignition timing.

Now for the 'Fix'....

1. Run STOCK IGNITION TIMING if you are running pump gas!

2. A *Good* custom tuner can make just as much (if not more) with stock ignition timing *if* they tune the variable camshafts correctly. This typically requires a few extra hours of dyno time. And motors with the same mods don't respond the same to TiVCT changes, this means TiVCT tables customized for each vehicle. No mail order plug & play if you want Maximum power out of this new system!

3. Convert over to E85 and run all the timing you want. Kinsler racing has a fuel filter that fits in the stock location yet flows far more than the stock filter. I'd advise a 50-100 micron element when running E85. Again, a Good custom tuner can tune these cars on E85 without issues. If they know where to look Ford even provided 5.0L Ethanol tables to make it fairly easy.

FWIW, I've heard rumors that Ford's solution is to reduce the compression ratio. That will also 'fix' the problem, but at reduced fuel economy and performance.

CPRsm

The "fix" is get tuners to learn how to read plugs. Data logging will not tell you what is happening IN the cyl. AFR's read in the exh is an AVERAGE of all 8 cyl. You check plugs to make sure to tune to your worst cyl.

Knock sensor retard rate: 1 to 1.5 (that's seconds per degree removed), so it would take 6 seconds to remove 4 degrees at 6K RPM (at a rate of 1.5).
I would do this as fast as the computer would let you. If you hear detonation, your F'd. There is detonation long before you can hear it. Taking 6 secs to pull timing to ward off detonation in an engine making good power will be toast before the timing is pulled.

Shaun@AED

The "fix" is get tuners to learn how to read plugs. Data logging will not tell you what is happening IN the cyl. AFR's read in the exh is an AVERAGE of all 8 cyl. You check plugs to make sure to tune to your worst cyl.

I would do this as fast as the computer would let you. If you hear detonation, your F'd. There is detonation long before you can hear it. Taking 6 secs to pull timing to ward off detonation in an engine making good power will be toast before the timing is pulled.

Not a viable solution to pull plugs after every run on the dyno.
Knock sensors work at detecting piston slap, if they didn't no manufacture would waste their time using them.
To make it even better the OEM has narrowed down the frequency at which each motor detonates and dialed in the sensors accordingly.

You can most definately increase the rate at which the knock sensors both remove and add timing. In fact, you could use them to map out an entire MBT timing curve. Of course you shouldn't leave it this way in the final tune.

ubeenbit

Established Member
Not that it matters much, but I can verify all of his table information

Second, E85 is great and will let you get max power

Third, i would say you can run advanced timing on 93 but not much more than stock

Datalog and verify

Finally, the old way of copying mbt to bkt, command .87 lambda, reduce knock retard and increase advance is what is blowing these engines.

I saw a dyno from a well known shop it knocked 11 times during the run. Knock is detected then timing retarded so 11 timesduring the run his pistons were hammered.

My guess is #8 is the first to knock. The ecu detects it and retards so most of the other cylinders ate protected

Also a leaner afr really does not pick up pwr. Torque does improve slightly.

Sent from my iPhone on an overpriced data plan

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
well if this is really the case why only a couple of 5 liters have damaged pistons while thousands of others are running perfect on mail order tunes? i do think that this is tuning related but i also think that fuel has more to do with it. e85 really is great.

ubeenbit

Established Member
It is fuel related, but it is more a case of too much timing. It will be more prevalent as time goes by. It is a chronic problem on NA cars. The pistons are taking a beating over time and eventually fatigue and fail.

At least that is my .02

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
It is fuel related, but it is more a case of too much timing. It will be more prevalent as time goes by. It is a chronic problem on NA cars. The pistons are taking a beating over time and eventually fatigue and fail.

At least that is my .02

i agree with you but i hope that we are wrong. i would really hate to see more people with this problem. after i have been runing e85 for over a month now i dont think that i will go back to 93 octane unless e85 goes away some odd reason. I think that more people should also consider e85 as their fuel alternative just for some peace of mind if they have e85 in their area ofcourse.

SVTStampede

Established Member

At least that is my .02

That's what I've been wondeing. It makes sense that this high HP NA engine can slowly fatigue itself(pistons) over time with an on the edge tune and luck of the draw fuel stations.

Shaun@AED

Driving style also plays a large role.

All tunes are not the same...mail order or not. Some may increase the Knock rate, other may modify ACT/ECT timing modifiers, individual cylinder modifiers, etc. Still others may run a super fat mixture as time at WOT increases (cat/ego inrichment). Etc, etc.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Not being a smartass here,but how are the supercharged cars living with much more power? Is it the bigger injectors?

How about my idea of running GOOD 93 gas in it during the week(i don't give it hell 24/7),then when you take it to the track add a splash of VP 110 in the mix?

Sorry for sounding dumb,but that is what i have done in the past with good results,but these bastards are different anamals!:shrug:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Not being a smartass here,but how are the supercharged cars living with much more power? Is it the bigger injectors?

How about my idea of running GOOD 93 gas in it during the week(i don't give it hell 24/7),then when you take it to the track add a splash of VP 110 in the mix?

Sorry for sounding dumb,but that is what i have done in the past with good results,but these bastards are different anamals!:shrug:

supercharged cars are running very consivative timing because they dont need to run near detonation all the time to get power like n/a guys do.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
From the factory ford is claiming 400hp with 87 octane and 412 with 91 octane.

To me that means that timing is being adjusted on the fly (i think this is obvious) by the ecu to take advantage of 91 and than remain safe if 87 is used at the next fill up.

If the factory tune can account for 12hp worth of power adjustment based on fuel I don't see why an aftermarket tune (done properly and not screwing with knock sensors) can't do the same thing with 93 octane.

CPRsm

Not a viable solution to pull plugs after every run on the dyno.
Knock sensors work at detecting piston slap, if they didn't no manufacture would waste their time using them.
To make it even better the OEM has narrowed down the frequency at which each motor detonates and dialed in the sensors accordingly.

You can most definately increase the rate at which the knock sensors both remove and add timing. In fact, you could use them to map out an entire MBT timing curve. Of course you shouldn't leave it this way in the final tune.
Knock sensors are if "oh shit" happens. Pulling plugs is a more viable solution than relying on knock sensors. They aren't a tuning tool, they are a safety net. You don't have to pull every plug after every pull. Your graph will tell you when your timing is getting close. And after you have found the weakest cyl, you can just pay most attention to that one. A knock sensor cannot tell you how much more timing to run in a cyl to equal cyl temp of the surrounding cyl's. Knock sensors are for the most part to me a technological crutch.

Shaun@AED

From the factory ford is claiming 400hp with 87 octane and 412 with 91 octane.

To me that means that timing is being adjusted on the fly (i think this is obvious) by the ecu to take advantage of 91 and than remain safe if 87 is used at the next fill up.

If the factory tune can account for 12hp worth of power adjustment based on fuel I don't see why an aftermarket tune (done properly and not screwing with knock sensors) can't do the same thing with 93 octane.

Factory 'Octane Modifier' in the spark tables removes 3 degrees at high load for low octane fuel.
If the Factory is removing 3 for 87 vs 91 it would logically make sence that the factory would add 1.5 degrees for 93 if Ford was programming the cars for 93.

Don't get me started on injector programming and what 'tuners' have been doing to get large injectors to work in the new 4 Bar system.....

phack

Established Member
This is what the plug from my #8 cylinder looks like:

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

AFR is 12.5 ish at WOT as read by my Aeroforce Interceptor. Looks good to me?

Users who are viewing this thread