JLT Oil Separator Repair :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
This past weekend on the dyno, while removing the coil pack cover, I guess the oil separator got bumped a little too hard and the plastic fitting that screws into the separator housing snapped like a twig.

I watched it happen and it was a bare minimum amount of pressure I saw which is pretty disappointing. You'd think that for $120, they could use a couple of $2.50 brass fittings :??:

Oh well. Used a pick to pull the broken plastic tip out of the hose, cleaned and re-applied a little silicone sealant to the threads and tightened the new fitting in.

It looks like it's not in all the way but if you look into the top of the housing, you notice that if it goes in all the way, it would block off the oil's path to get out of the separator. It looks as though they screw the plastic fitting all the way in and then just drill a hole up into it to make a way for the oil to get out like that but with the metal fitting, it just didn't need to go in all the way so that it would block it off. It's really stinking tight so it's not leaking or going anywhere and also won't be breaking any time soon. I bought a 2nd one (angle piece) in case that one snaps in the future.

So yeah... I know a lot of you guys are running these things so if you're doing any work around it, be careful. Like I mentioned, it didn't take hardly ANY effort to break the plastic fitting.

tn_P1070184.jpg

tn_P1070183.jpg

tn_P1070187.jpg

tn_P1070186.jpg

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Happened to me about 2 months ago, emailed JLT and they mailed me some new plastic fittings because for the life of me i couldnt find 3/8ths to 3/8ths in a brass fitting. Hit up ace hardware, Hope Depot, and Lowes all had everything but that. I also did some beefier c clamps like you did as well. Mine broke due to having the system connected and holding the top and unscrewing the bottom can. I was told these systems cant take that kind of side load and removal of the entire system is necessary to empty the canister. IMHO this thing needs a mount with the materials that were used and price.

-JLTs response after i asked about a mounting situation.
The fact that it hangs has nothing to do with it breaking. You can not grab the tank and twist it off. You must remove the unit from the vehicle and hold the top when twisting the bottom. The fittings are not meant to take that kind of side load.
Send me your address and I can send you new fittings if you like or you can get some at a local hardware store.

Overall great customer service from JLT i just think some better material could be used.
Funny how mine broke on the right fitting that goes to the intake the same way as yours.

6262682856_7e8a6c50bc_z.jpg

6262157085_be8abb1024_z.jpg

Unscrewing the fitting was a PITA it didnt want to budge and the fitting took a beating as you can see
6262157109_48b1a94104_z.jpg

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
-JLTs response after i asked about a mounting situation.

The fact that it hangs has nothing to do with it breaking. You can not grab the tank and twist it off. You must remove the unit from the vehicle and hold the top when twisting the bottom. The fittings are not meant to take that kind of side load.

That bit that I bolded to me is a load of horse crap. 5 bucks worth of higher quality fittings would make this unit damn near indestructible.

I don't want to have to remove the strut tower brace, the engine cover and then the whole oil separator assembly JUST to unscrew that bottom bit to dump it out.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
JLT now has new aluminum straight fittings to replace the plastic ones that are breaking. You should be able to contact them to get replacements now.

sloppymax

Established Member
I received the same great customer service after discovering mine were broken on both sides yesterday. Mine actually broke off flush next to the casing and I could not remove the broken pieces inside the threads with needle nose pliers or a metal pick. As mentioned before, the newer aluminum fittings will keep that from occurring again. Thumbs up to JLT.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
That bit that I bolded to me is a load of horse crap. 5 bucks worth of higher quality fittings would make this unit damn near indestructible.

I don't want to have to remove the strut tower brace, the engine cover and then the whole oil separator assembly JUST to unscrew that bottom bit to dump it out.

I agree completely.
At least put something like this in the tiny instructions piece of paper they give out with your order
"due to plastic fittings, dont try to use this product as it is intended. With the ease of install already on this product an uninstallation will be nessacary in order to dump the canister of any unwanted oil build up in 1,000 mile intervals.

Erick

Established Member
Same here. When removing my fitting, it seemed as if the oil had eroded the plastic and it was almost crumbling into pieces as I tried to remove it from the hose. Jay had a new aluminum fitting shipped to me immediately. He also told me that the entire assembly should be removed when emptying the oil.

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Looks like this is becoming a regular issue with the JLT catch can. It happened to me too and I decided to go with the Moroso oil separator instead...

You can see more details of the product and my install at this post on AFM

done3.jpg

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Do these Oil Separators really work!? I see them mentioned a lot but think they are really just a "TB Spacer/Tornado" type of thing. Something to spend money on
How much oil do you get in them and how often/miles do you have to empty the JLT can?

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Do these Oil Separators really work!? I see them mentioned a lot but think they are really just a "TB Spacer/Tornado" type of thing. Something to spend money on
How much oil do you get in them and how often/miles do you have to empty the JLT can?

They definitely do. I was getting about a tablespoon of oil in the JLT can after about 500 miles and if you search the forums you'll see plenty of pictures from other guys showing the oil in theirs. The Moroso can is much bigger so you don't have to worry about checking it as often plus it has a drain port, which makes draining it much easier.

Shaun@AED

Had to do the same mod on a customer's GT500. He had drivability issues that were due to broken plastic fittings. The Brass units are just so....ugly! LOL

On my 5.0 instead of using an oil separator, I modified and installed a GT500 PCV
(far more restrictive). Haven't burned any noticeable amount of oil since. And I've road-coursed the car (compression braking from 7K).

Tucker

Yes, we do have aluminum straight fittings for anyone who needs them. Just shoot me a pic of your separator and I'll get you them.

BTW, we do put in the included directions to remove the unit to empty.
Also, I have had mine on my car for over 1 full year with several hard abusive road course weekends and several drap strip trips with no issue. This is also the first test unit that has been checked hundreds of times during testing.

I checked with the fitting manufacture and they are rated for these temps and to be used in a oil condition, but many have failed so we jumped and had custom aluminum fitting made.

They cost a ton more then the plastic and the brass, but are black and worth it IMO.
We did not raise the price either.

We do apologise for any breakage, but rest assured we are here to stand behind the product and you are welcome to send in the unit for us to rebuild or we can send you the fitting free of charge.

All Separators that have shipped in the last month or so have aluminum fittings.

Thank you for your understanding.
Jay

Last edited:

Erick

Established Member
Looks like this is becoming a regular issue with the JLT catch can. It happened to me too and I decided to go with the Moroso oil separator instead...

done3.jpg

The separator itself looks nice but those brass fittings, bracket and hose look like arse. I like the fact that the JLT almost looks stock with the factory tubing.

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Even if the fittings were still intact on my old JLT separator I would be concerned with the difference between the thread length of the original plastic fittings and the new alloy replacement... but you wouldn't know this unless you broke one ;-)

IMG_4430.jpg

Here is a different angle for the moroso separator

moroso.jpg

Tucker

The difference is plastic fittings can thread in further then metal on any NPT style thread due to the give on the plastic. Airflow was never blocked with the plastic fitting, we spot tested them before they went out.
When we custom made the new fittings we could do what ever we wanted, meaning design the perfect fitting. We wanted the nut to bottom out on the separator for a better look, so after a few designs we have the best fitting for our separator.

I'm sorry yours broke and replacing the fitting didn't make you a happy customer. Please know we tried and are here to help.

Having factory lines is a huge draw to the product and it just look factory and it works great.

BTW, OP, if you haven't contacted me, please do and we can send you a the fitting no problem [email protected]
Thanks
Jay

Last edited:

yellowrubiu

Established Member
... replacing the fitting didn't make you a happy customer. Please know we tried and are here to help.

Not at all, I was very thankful that a replacement fitting was sent for the broken one and thank you very much for the great customer service.

However, when the fitting broke I looked at alternatives and found that the Moroso separator offered a couple of practical advantages that were important to me:

1) A drain valve - I didn't want to deal with lifting the engine cover in order to get to the plastic tang by the intake and unplugging that side of the JLT separator before I could disconnect the whole thing to unscrew the canister. With the Moroso separator I simply slip a small can under it and open the valve.

valve.jpg

2) Capacity - Probably not a big deal to most but personally, I like the fact that I don't have to be as diligent about remembering to empty it too often and when I do, well, see 1.

sidebyside1.jpg

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
I'm sorry yours broke and replacing the fitting didn't make you a happy customer. Please know we tried and are here to help.

Having factory lines is a huge draw to the product and it just look factory and it works great.

BTW, OP, if you haven't contacted me, please do and we can send you a the fitting no problem [email protected]
Thanks
Jay

Just to clear the waters here,

Outstanding product, and even better customer service from JLT.
For those looking on and observing this thread on these small issues...From a customer standpoint, the JLT oil seperator IMHO is a must have for those with an 11/12 mustang or any mustang for that matter. From experience this product does its job and does it well and is fairly priced. It seems JLT noticed their issue with the plastic fittings and has since fixed it.
Nothings perfect, but
Whats better than a product that works?
A product that is backed by its producer that is willing to go above and beyond to make any situation right. With that being said i will continue to use my JLT oil seperator and hopefully pick up some brass/alum fittings for security purposes only.

@Jay, i know you have already sent me some new plastic fittings due to me not being able to find 3/8th into 3/8ths around my area. Would it be possible to send me some black brass/alum fittings? I dont want to be a PITA, but from those pictures posted above i d like to replace my plastic ones for added security.
Let me know and ill e-mail my addy

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member

done3.jpg

Great choice, I painted the bracket, fittings and drian all in black looks awsome ! Im sorry the Jlt just sitting on the cover didnt do it for me plus it started to rub . The Moroso really looks like it belongs there when you paint the fittings black . Im running a blower so the Jlt can filled up quick, now I dont have to check it all the time with the larger Moroso can .

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i had two clamps that kept coming loose on my other GT. JLT sent me new clamps no charge. Jay seems likre a really good guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread