Wow and wow

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
So with the wife out of town for a few days, I decided to catch up on a couple wish-list items. First, I swapped out the transmission fluid for the Royal Purple Max Gear. All I can say is wow, the difference is huge; it's soooo smooth now.
The second item was the replacement of the door speakers. I had ordered some Polk audio 6 X 8's earlier in the week, but had to pick up the harness from best Buy. While there, I decided to look for a decent pair of speakers for the rear. I was amazed at the sound from a pair of Kicker 6 X 8's and opted to put them in the doors instead. Wow again, it is amazing how much better the quality of sound is compared to stock. I am not much of a stereo guy, but I do like my music clean. Can’t wait to get the Polk's in, I bet it will sound even better with the rears replaces.
Anyway, if anyone is hesitant on swapping out the transmission fluid, don't be. I know there will be people who will say I chose the wrong fluid, but I am going by what the transmission is telling me; it is so smooth. As for the speakers, this was a really easy job that takes about 40 minutes. The harnesses are great and allow for plug and play installation.
Lastly, after reading everything on the forums, I sometime forget to enjoy the car due to the fear associated with all the concerns out there. Today, I feel amazing, and remembered why I always buy Mustangs. Today I enjoyed shifting through the gears and blasting my favorite tunes.
:rockon:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Nice, thanks for the update...did u use the MAX ATF, synchromax or 75w-90?!
Do you have to hook up an amp to those kickers to get them o sound right? You running the GT Premium Shaker 500 head unit!?

Last edited:

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
75w 90, and no amps. I simply swapped the stock speakers with some Kickers. I have a premium GT with the Shaker 500. Overall, I am happy with the stock setup. The speakers just cleaned the sound up. After replacing the rears, I will add a small sub.

acrbill

Established Member
Swapping my front speakers was my 2nd favorite mod on my car. I am not much of an audio guy myself either.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
The speakers were so easy, and I have never touched audio before. So true about this being a great mod. If I were to advise a person on necessary mods, i would advise swapping the speakers, fluid in the trans, and install a short throw.

Funny5.0

Established Member
The speakers were so easy, and I have never touched audio before. So true about this being a great mod. If I were to advise a person on necessary mods, i would advise swapping the speakers, fluid in the trans, and install a short throw.

Premium or base model stereo?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

do you have any links to the speakers and harness you used?

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
For the harnesses, I just went to Best Buy and asked for them. They were not in the store with the audio stuff, the guy went to their installation bay and got them for me. They cost $10, and that will wire-up two speakers. The speakers were Kicker KS 68's, and cost $99. I would bet that you could find the speakers for less at Amazon, but I just had to do something today.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Harness is made by Metra, 72-5600

NEW METRA 72-5600 FORD SPEKAERS ADAPTORS(PAIR) on eBay!

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/drivinglesson/1-1.jpg

scott_0

Established Member
I really need to replace my speakers, the sound quality is horrible smh

99mstng

Established Member
I replaced my fronts with the Polk DXI570s and it is amazing the difference vs. stock. I used the same harness and they are very easy as well - just make sure the pins lined up correct, I tried to force one for a couple seconds and then realized one of the pins was slightly bent and didn't line up properly. First door took me 45 mins being very careful/not knowing what to remove or how to remove it. Second door took 10 minutes. Take your time to not break anything, but very easy and anyone can handle.

Polk Audio DXi570 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
The reviews speak for themselves . . .

Once you see the stock speakers and hold them in your hand you will shake your head and go WTF Ford. Junk

As for what to get if you aren't going to run a different amp I'd look for a lower RMS output. I think the Polks are about 50 which is what the factory claims. If you go anything >75 you will not get the same volume and that speaker will likely not sound as good as a 50 watt RMS speaker. Don't fall for the thinking that more watts = more sound and better quality.

twistedneck

Established Member
the subject is awesome, but to clarify you may need to add a third 'wow' to make the subject easier to understand.

polks are nice but they are tanks if you are trying to make a car light weight that magnent is too huge. i have a set in my daily driver and they do sound nice.

kingnut

Established Member
i would run the same speakers front and rear. good update on info. glad you like it.

99mstng

Established Member
the subject is awesome, but to clarify you may need to add a third 'wow' to make the subject easier to understand.

polks are nice but they are tanks if you are trying to make a car light weight that magnent is too huge. i have a set in my daily driver and they do sound nice.

Really, weight? FWIW a pair of the polks weigh 1.2 lbs more than a pair of the factory speakers.

Please go to the track and get your time and then remove your belt and run your car again. Post up your results . . . it would be more conclusive than the JLT vs. factory air box thread ;-)

GTtoSVT

Established Member
I put kicker 6x8 door speakers in and was amazed at the difference. BEST cheap mod period! I have the premimum shaker 500 system.

Erich

Established Member
What about it sounds better? I have the shaker 1000 in my car (which I would assume is the 500 plus more subs) and feel like it could be more clear sounding. More crisp on the top end and less muddy on the bottom. Did those doorspeakers do that?
Erich

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, Shaker 1000 is just the trunk sub/amp. Door speakers will help with the crispness up top but the sub is lacking and muddy as you described. I upgraded the sub amp and speakers and it helped considerably. Or just change the amp and sub box altogether with something like a Stealthbox.

Users who are viewing this thread