Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Official Mustang Boss 302 UOA thread

We have been doing this in the GT500 section for quite a while now, and I'm seeking interest in the Coyote/Roadrunner areas of the forum. For those who do not know, it's a Used Oil Analysis thread to show trends in wear patterns to help owners determine what is normal, and what isn't. This is a great way to monitor your engine's wear patterns over time, and to show you how well the oil you choose is performing in your engine.

Here is the Excel spreadsheet I have created which is Roadrunner exclusive.

GTBossUOA_zpsf638966c.jpg

If anyone needs to know where to get oil testing, visit one of the website links below. Please, if you have your oil tested with Blackstone....opt for the extra $10.00 to have TBN tested. OAI provides TBN testing included with the price. OAI also tests for oxidation (Blackstone does not). Both labs will yield very close consistent results.

Blackstone - will cost $25.00 for basic test, $35.00 with TBN, plus the cost of shipping ($1.90 USPS)

OAI testing kits UPS prepaid - will cost $32.20 - Amsoil preferred customers get this test for $25.95

Latest Amsoil recommendations as of July 2015

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is the oil only has to be changed once a year or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. Amsoil AZF 0W-40 (Challenger Hellcat and Nissan GTR) and AMR 5W-50 (Ford Mustang) are two new formulations created for powerful street cars.

8 quart fill – GT
8.5 quart fill – Boss 302 and Track Pack GT

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your engine is 100% internally stock in Naturally Aspirated form, regardless of external simple bolt on mods, driven daily in all climates, use this. *Mustang GT only* previously, the old list recommended formulations in the 0W-30 to 10W-30 range for this engine. However, after testing in my personal 2014 Mustang GT with a stock engine, 5W-20 Signature Series is a contender. Using previous recommendations is OK, but will now use AZF 0W-40 as the blanket for most application requirements beyond 5W-20 for simplicity.

Amsoil AZF 0W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT and you do not attend HPDE events, use this. Some people ask me if it’s OK to use this at the HPDE. If you plan to attend one event a year and are not driving the car to the edge of cooling limits, it’s acceptable. Schedule the annual oil change to happen right before the event to insure the lubricant is fresh. However, if you are an experienced HPDE track person, 5W-50 may be better suited for you. See the recommendation for 5W-50.

Amsoil AMR 5W-50 - If your street car has a single/twin turbo or supercharger making a lot of power on pump gas or with advanced timing using E85 (or) If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you HPDE or race your car in competition for extended sessions….use this. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting, daily driven street duties. If you have a turbo or supercharged car that is driven daily, isn’t raced frequently, used on the streets for occasional wide open throttle bursts, Amsoil AZF 0W-40 is a better choice.*

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market for the Coyote/Roadrunner. Royal Purple is the same filter, part # 20-500.

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing poor shifting.

If you have the Auto 6 speed, this stuff will survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer - Use 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of gasoline when storing your car in the winter.

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
All UOA reports posted will receive a detailed breakdown examination by myself and I will put the results in easy to understand terms. If you do not know how to post a report, contact me in a PM, and I will get this done for you.

ok, Speak!

:)

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
ok, Speak!

The wear metals of your dad's car would be considered normal since this is break in engine wear.

Silicon levels are MUCH lower than any Shelby 5.4L engine on the factory fill. Our cars have 300+ ppm from the factory fill. Looks like this engine should have very low silicon numbers after engine break in is complete and good air filtration is used.

Manganese is kind of odd to me, as I've never seen this high of concentration unless a fuel octane booster additive was used. Although, since the fuel dilution is ~1%, that could account for it.

Viscosity is where you will see me hate on Motorcraft 5W-50. So many owners believe they MUST use a 50 weight lubricant in their engine, yet the oil Ford recommends easily shears to a light 40 grade/heavy 30 grade during use. This sample sheared to a light 40 grade (14.2 cSt - virgin was 19.9 - a 28% viscosity decrease). This is why true synthetic 10W-40 lubricants are outperforming Motorcraft 5W-50. They shear very little and provide far less friction. This improves engine efficiency, throttle response, mpg, and power. Why choose a lubricant that will shear giving you less performance when you can use a lubricant that will shear very little (less than 5%), reduce wear, and provide greater efficiency?

TBN: Total Base Number - Detergent additives that prevent the lubricant from becoming acidic and eating the internals of an engine. Motorcraft 5W-50 with 3900 miles of use shows a TBN of 3.17. Using your and other Shelby reports with MC 5W-50, I've concluded that this is a 7,500 mile use oil at best. I honestly don't recommend using it beyond that point. Sure, the extra 2 quarts of oil in the Boss versus the Shelby will give it a longer use, but I don't trust it. It's too cheap of insurance just to change it to be SURE your oil is protecting the engine.

Ignore oxidation testing...as I have yet to see it be a reliable testing method unless the same oil in a virgin state was used to set up the testing machine first.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I haven't and I'm not sure I will. I'm having the dealer do the oil changes. I'll order up a kit and see if I can get one.

You can do it the way Shady and I take samples, and still have your dealer perform your oil changes. Drive your car for about 15 minutes, get the oil hot, and take the sample directly from your dip stick tube.

Amsoil sampling pump

UOA testing kit

f1648149.jpg

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
if you notice Beast, that's a clear sample container (borrowed from work),
that pump seems to fit all the kits ,no matter who makes it. :)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
if you notice Beast, that's a clear sample container (borrowed from work),
that pump seems to fit all the kits ,no matter who makes it. :)

I was going to ask you about the clear container, and I do know that the pump works with both Blackstone and Polaris labs sample bottles.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Another sample has been received, and the results are on par with what is expected from Motorcraft 5W-50.

8cf51308.jpg

The owner had some concerns, so I will address them here as well.

najay said:
I just got back the UOA for my boss 302. I drive this car very hard.

The oxidation was flagged extremely high. I will do a little research and see what that means. I replaced it with Amsoil 10W-40.

and here was my reply.

UnleashedBeast said:
Thank you for the UOA, and please....when the sample is ready for 10W-40, I hope to see that one as well. I will be adding this to the UOA Boss tracking chart to show trends.

Ignore Oxidation. Polaris Labs hasn't been showing consistency on this test in the GT500 samples.

Oxidation is talking about the base stock fluid "rusting". Yes, fluids can rust too. It's the degrading of the base stock. To get an accurate test, the machine must first be calibrated with a virgin sample of the same lubricant.

Viscosity is right on par for how MC 5W-50 shears, no shock there. That's normal.

Silicon is also normal for the first sample. It's just left over residuals from the assembly process. The next sample, you will see a decrease here. GT500 engines have 250-300 ppm in the OEM fill. That tells me the assemble process is cleaner for the Roadrunner, or the materials used as sealants in the GT500 engine are more silicone plentiful, or more cast parts somewhere.

Thanks again for the sample.

Troy

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I should send in my Castrol Edge 5-50. It's all I could find in that weight in my area. 2K miles, one track day, and tons of hard driving...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Let's not allow this thread to die here.

I have updated the chart in post #1. GT Coyote owners are starting to submit UOAs from their engines.

86Fbody

Established Member
I have been thinking about doing this for a while since I switched to 5-50 Mobil 1. I have heard both good things and bad things about Mobil 1. In your professional opinion is Mobil 1 a "true" fully synthetic oil, and if so would you think the numbers for 5-50 Mobil 1 fully synthetic would be much better then the 5-50 MC numbers?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In your professional opinion is Mobil 1 a "true" fully synthetic oil

No, Mobil 1 uses a percentage of Visom in the mixture. Visom is Exxon Mobil's proprietary hydrocracked petroleum base stock.

"highly refined petroleum"

would you think the numbers for 5-50 Mobil 1 fully synthetic would be much better then the 5-50 MC numbers?

It shears less than Motorcraft 5W-50 and has a more robust anti-wear additive package. "ZDDP"

In my book, it ranks higher than Motorcraft, however.....still too viscous for this engine.

86Fbody

Established Member
So other then Amsoil, would 10-40 Mobil 1 be a good bet for oil? Who else makes actual fully synthetic oil?

86Fbody

Established Member
And your saying the reason you suggest 10-40 is because that is what the MC shears to anyway? What do the high grade fully synthetic oils shear to at 3k miles?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
And your saying the reason you suggest 10-40 is because that is what the MC shears to anyway?

Correct, why not simply choose a lubricant that will retain a 40 grade viscosity instead of a lubricant that takes time to shear to a 40 grade.

True syn 10W-40 lubricants have yielded better wear metal results.

Use this chart to see how each lubricant sheared (percentage)

UOAchart_zps13d72271.jpg

UOAchart2_zpsc7e3ba3a.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is the lastest sample of Amsoil AMO 10W-40 from a 2012 Boss 302 Roadrunner.

302Boss2537miles_zps51c7f949.jpg

First and foremost, this is yet another STUPID lab technician. How can you mark oxidation of a true synthetic lubricant as severe (@ 60) when the lubricant in virgin condition starts at 50-55 because the machine is calibrated to measure petroleum. DEE DEE DEE!!!!

Red Line, due to high ester content, will show over 100 with only 5,000 miles on it. Is it because it's a poor lubricant, not in the least. It's because the lab techs do not have a virgin sample of the oil being tested to calibrate the machine before testing. They leave it adjusted to "petroleum" calibration. :rolleyes:

Anyway, your wear metals look very nice considering this engine is still wearing in. TBN is still super strong, as this oil is more than suitable for continued use. Do not listen to the idiot telling you to change it due to poor TBN testing methods.

For the record, here is a sample of Red Line at only 1400 miles. Oxidation is 105! Scary isn't it, however...not accurate. Red Line's high ester content confuses the machine and makes it believe it is seeing molecular break down because it wasn't calibrated with a virgin sample. The high lead ppm is due to a lubricant too viscous for the engine. Do you see why I said NO 5W-50 in a Ford modular engine?

c2a1786a.jpg

Bottom line, IGNORE TBN testing on all true synthetics. This is a petroleum ruled world.

Thank you for the sample, it looks amazing for such low miles. Don't waste the oil, run it for the year. I will add this to the list very soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread