Camaro 1LE vs Boss 302

svt1111

Established Member
Is anyone else anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 1LE to give our Bosses some food to eat?

I mean, GM did their fare share of crap talking about the ZL1 before it came out and made some stupid comments about how it would kill a Shelby. I was on C5 a little while ago where one of their members was talking about it in a similar fashion as to how they talked up the ZL1 before Ford let 662 horses urinate on their parade.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks about this topic. Personally, I hope it comes out soon.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
The 1LE isn't what a Boss is. The 1LE sounds more like an SS track package, whereas the Boss is it's own car, with it's own motor, suspension pieces, etc.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Everything i have heard on it says its all minor suspension (springs and dampers) and no motor work. if that is the case, it will be easy pickings.

Nickelpayday

Established Member
I'm curious as well. Hey anyone know if the new transmission it's getting the TR6060 MM6 will have revised gear ratios? The current ratios it's listing now are taller than in the current SS, so the 3.91 won't help much. What I do think is that it will give the ZL1 hell on a track at least with some boltons! LOL!

svt1111

Established Member
So no MRC at the 1LE price point then? That would be about only thing I can guess would make a huge difference on that car.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Keep in mind guys the reason why the 2013 gt 500 was upgraded was not because of the zl1 but because the 2012 boss can post the same #'s or better then the 2012 gt-500. The performance gap between the 2013 gt-500 and 2013 boss is now correct. Ford is not concerned about what Gm is doing with the Camaro, but Gm is concerned about what Ford is doing with the mustang!!!!!

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I'm looking forward to it. This is a great time to be a car guy things have NEVER been better. I'm also a camaro fan probably for the wrong reasons but that's a different story. From what I understand the 1LE is pretty much an SS with the ZL1 magnetic ride suspension stuff or a ZL1 with no blower.

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Mag ride? Really? I thought they were just sorting out the current IRS on the SS as it is. New stabalizer bars, monotubes out back and im sure some different spring rates. ZL1 wheels and tires.

svt1111

Established Member
Funny thing is even if they stripped some weigh from it, it will still be heavier than an S197 IMO.

Without MRC, I can't see it being a huge success.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
It looks to just be a tweaked SS. Seems more like a mid life cycle update than anything else.

We won't see anything significant until the new Alpha platform drops in a few years. That will be 'maro nations next opportunity to get back in the game.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Boss owners having nothing to worry about...its a tweaked SS like GTS said with zl1 wheels and whatever little parts bin stuff

300AGT

Established Member
I would not be so fast to put the 1LE under the buss just yet. The 1LE is the car that GM going road racing with this coming year not the ZL1 . There no MCR because it not legal to use in most racing association and why put the money into thouse on a car that going to be use as a race car. There just going to throw then in the trash can and change the car over to coil over for real racing. The 1LE has a SQ tire set-up the only camaro to do so i bet the car will have zero understeer. Unlike the GT500 the Boss 302 is a FIX target the car is done there not going to be any changes to it . It makes it way easyer for Gm to match the performance of the Boss 302 than the GT500 was.

Now is going to be faster than a Boss 302 we dont know yet . But i do think its going to give the Boss a run for its money . I thing it will be a better all around car than the ZL1 was just my 2C .

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
While it'd be awesome to dominate the new <insert car name here>, I've always been hesitant to plan on winning in street races. At the track / strip, things are artificially evened out, but on the street, potholes / easy tire upgrades / etc. can upend a paper race very quickly. And anyone with enough money can make almost any car outrun any other (a great example is the VW Golf that has a V12).

S197OnSpray

Established Member
Thought you guys might want to check this out. They claim it is 4.46 seconds faster than the boss 302 Laguna Seca around VIR. I smell bullshit, ringer driver and obviously not ran on the same day. Seems a little far fetch for just minor suspension and brake upgrades over the SS. I mean the Camaro SS ran a 3:09.5 and the Boss 302 Laguna Seca ran a 3:02.8. So you mean to tell me the 1LE gained 11+ seconds with those upgrades? Hmmm....really looking forward to some same day same driver runs with these two.

Watch Chevy's Camaro 1LE lap VIR in 2:58:34

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Thought you guys might want to check this out. They claim it is 4.46 seconds faster than the boss 302 Laguna Seca around VIR. I smell bullshit, ringer driver and obviously not ran on the same day. Seems a little far fetch for just minor suspension and brake upgrades over the SS. I mean the Camaro SS ran a 3:09.5 and the Boss 302 Laguna Seca ran a 3:02.8. So you mean to tell me the 1LE gained 11+ seconds with those upgrades? Hmmm....really looking forward to some same day same driver runs with these two.

Watch Chevy's Camaro 1LE lap VIR in 2:58:34

Obviously factory testing will always yield the best possible times and should be taken with a grain of salt, but suspension/tire changes in many cases, will completely transform a cars performance.

Users who are viewing this thread