buddy grenaded his motor

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Buddy of mine just wrote a local dealership a $26k check to get him a new motor...stupid i know. He blew the #7 rod right out the side of the block during a spirited pull in 4th gear on the highway. He told the dealership he had modded the car , bad mistake #1, then told them he would pay for a new motor if he got denied the warranty, bad mistake #2. Truth be told he added 3* of timing to his base tune, not naming tuner because its not their fault his stupidity blew the engine. Has anyone else ragged a motor besides evolution and my buddy with more cash than brains?

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would think your buddy would be better off having a custom motor built rather than buy a stock engine from Ford and it would probably be cheaper.

jbs$

Established Member
Snoopt49, this is the first story that I have heard about a "13" motor blowing up. Blowing during a road pull in fourth, I think that I need to see photo on this one.

Myfast70

Established Member
Sounds fishy. I can't see just 3° of timing blowing an engine that bad. What else was was done to the car?

Aero7

Established Member
Buddy of mine just wrote a local dealership a $26k check to get him a new motor...stupid i know. He blew the #7 rod right out the side of the block during a spirited pull in 4th gear on the highway. He told the dealership he had modded the car , bad mistake #1, then told them he would pay for a new motor if he got denied the warranty, bad mistake #2. Truth be told he added 3* of timing to his base tune, not naming tuner because its not their fault his stupidity blew the engine. Has anyone else ragged a motor besides evolution and my buddy with more cash than brains?

What mods did he have?

drmustang

Banned
The GT500 has a forged crankshaft, forged pistons and the "pseudo forged rods also known as powder forged. These rods are unquestionably the weak link in the GT500 motor. They are not the 4340 forged rods that the terminators came with.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
need more info to give an opinion honestly

OP please tell your buddy to cancel the check and get a built motor

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
More info please, how many miles? what mods? does he know how to drive a stick? Dont buy another FORD motor call someone and get them to build something better!!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
1300 miles
vmp 2.4 upper
JLT 123mm cai
CJ 65mm tb
Lethal x pipe

He drives like a idiot also, shifts at 7,200 rpm and hammered it probably 1,100 of the 1,300 miles it lived thru.

i told him everything u guys are suggesting trust me, ive been around the car scene going on 18 years i would not have done what he did. Yes the rods are the weak link but they put them in the cobra jet motors as well. I will have the motor in hand soon to disassemble it, im getting the lower intake and intercooler core seeing they are direct swaps and upgrades over the 12 hardware. Anyone need a spare TVS, lol

Last edited:

91svtbird

Established Member
It's not a stock engine once it has mods and especially an aftermarket tune. Sorry for your friend's car but I can't say I'm surprised to hear this type of thing happening especially with the kind of aftermarket tuning being done today. Detonation is deadly to rods...any rod.

jbs$

Established Member
Was anything done to the RPM limiter? Was the engin running at very high RPMs when it let go?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
25k+ engine that uses rods that are less than 1/4 the cost of just one of the tires it uses - for a set of eight rods. Good thing nobody pushes these cars harder than grandma ever would. How dare anyone change the toon either!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
It's not a stock engine once it has mods and especially an aftermarket tune. Sorry for your friend's car but I can't say I'm surprised to hear this type of thing happening especially with the kind of aftermarket tuning being done today. Detonation is deadly to rods...any rod.

I wasnt suprised his motor let go...i will say that. Hey, atleast i can get my hands on a 13 intercooler core on the cheap now, ill also be porting the lower intake as well as my winter project...go me, lol.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
They use Manley H-beams in the CJs and the FRPP shortblocks.

Not what i was told by Jimmy Larocca, but he could be wrong. They should have came in the shelby motors too. If it wasnt such a PITA i would have H-beams put into my motor but ill just wait til i grenande the damn thing...Hmmmm, winter project for L&M engines, lol

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Apparently your buddy has unlimited funds . Why let the dealer install a new motor? Your friend should go to a mustang professional builder like mmr and have 1 Built for half that price. It will make more power and will withstand his need to thrash!!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
He told the dealership he had modded the car , bad mistake #1, then told them he would pay for a new motor if he got denied the warranty, bad mistake #2.
i'm curious why you so those are mistakes. are you inferring that he should've ****ed the dealership over and tried to get an engine under warranty, because he decided to mod his engine and throw a rod out the block?

as has been said, he really should've had an engine built for that much cash. MMR could build him an absolutely STACKED long block for $20k.

Users who are viewing this thread