best rear speakers

jay38372

Established Member
Ok i tried a search but seems everyone that does or did an upgrade went thru the whole system, I decided to go with the rear speakers first and went with the Alpine sps-717's once i installed them and put the fader to the rear they weren't what i expected. I had to go over 3/4 volume just to get any sound out of them, my question is without doing any upgrades whatsoever except the speakers what would you recommend for the rears keep in mind ease of fitment and bolting right in with good highs and some thump to them also thanks.

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
Only advice I can give you is to get highly sensitive speakers (SPL 1w @ 1m). I bought the Infinity 6832cf (93db sensitivity). The Alpines (although could only find the 517's) are only 88db and thus simply won't be as loud at any given power level.

I did a thread on this a few weeks ago about upgrading the door speakers and door subs. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ing-both-door-speakers-shaker-pro-system.html

jay38372

Established Member
Excuse me i'm sorry they are/were 517's, on a side note I was looking under the trunk mat and a loose pig tail caught my eye right where the right tail light is, is that the factory plug for the shaker pro in the trunk which I do not have?

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I read something on here about people having excellent results with just an amp upgrade/addition. If I ever make changes to the stereo I'm hoping this will be all I'll need to do.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I put 4 of the Polks in my 09, and the system is now significantly better, and louder. I hear you need Ford adapters for them to work in the 13-14's.

shelbysvt

Established Member
I'll be doing a big audio build soon and posting about it. It will either be comprised of JL ZR speakers or some other Morels. It depends which can be done to make everything OEM looking and best bang for buck. Also a lot of the car will be hush matted as well.

But most likely no big boom subs will be added because I'm looking for sound quality rather than volume. My mirrors already shake just with the OEM system lol.

jay38372

Established Member
Can anyone post a pic of the plug that plugs into the shaker pro sub? I'd like to see if it matches up to the loose plug that I have in the trunk on the right side.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I'll be doing a big audio build soon and posting about it. It will either be comprised of JL ZR speakers or some other Morels. It depends which can be done to make everything OEM looking and best bang for buck. Also a lot of the car will be hush matted as well.

But most likely no big boom subs will be added because I'm looking for sound quality rather than volume. My mirrors already shake just with the OEM system lol.
The zr 650 ci and the zr 800 fit in the door without any outward modification. I wanted to keep as stock a look as possible so I have the stock head unit running to a RF 360.3 and then a JL HD900/5 powering the doors and a JL stealthbox sub in the trunk. All the hardware is mounted in the spare tire area and the amp level control + 360 remote are in the center console box. The Zr's sound great.. don't think you can go wrong with them if you add an amp. Imo the stock system sounded muddy. I'm not a big boom sub kinda guy either, I mostly listen to Rush, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, and what not.. maybe some chili peppers but really no rap or hip hop.

Tytus2012

Established Member
i personally wouldnt even waste my money on the rears. You never hear them ever. our ears are designed to hear in front of us. I would spend take the money from the rears and just get really good ones up front it will be a huge difference. I would also recommend a new amp to run the front speakers and just leave the backs to the old amp.

jtfx6552

Established Member
The zr 650 ci and the zr 800 fit in the door without any outward modification. I wanted to keep as stock a look as possible so I have the stock head unit running to a RF 360.3 and then a JL HD900/5 powering the doors and a JL stealthbox sub in the trunk. All the hardware is mounted in the spare tire area and the amp level control + 360 remote are in the center console box. The Zr's sound great.. don't think you can go wrong with them if you add an amp. Imo the stock system sounded muddy. I'm not a big boom sub kinda guy either, I mostly listen to Rush, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, and what not.. maybe some chili peppers but really no rap or hip hop.

Reads like a great system. Could you post up some pictures? Did you do the install your self? How'd you get power and signal back to the spare tire well?

phil123

Established Member
As others have said if you are not putting an amp in you need high efficiency speakers. It would make more sense to replace the fronts before the rears. The fronts are what produce the sound rears are just for fill unless you sit in back.

Users who are viewing this thread