TORQJNKY's 2013 GT500 engine build thread

TORQJNKY

The time has come to feed the beast. I'd consider this build more of an insurance build for me. I'm not out to build a quarter mile killer or a TX mile rocket, although it could do both I'm sure. Those who know me will tell you I just love the hobby of modding my cars like most guys on this forum. This particular car seems to have endless possibilities so; it's time to take the next step. I'll call it my "BIRDDOC Lite" (Really Lite by comparison! :D) build.

In its current modded condition, the car was making 850/720 on E85 with the stock bottom end and that just wasn't sitting right with me. I really didn't want to stab the throttle one day and leave the guts of the motor laying all over the street. So I figured, if I wanted to continue to mod this car and make power reliably, I might as well build the motor.

Current Power Mods Include:

* 2.9L Whipple with 3.00 upper and 10% lower (16.5-17psi)
* JDM Super Stock Camshafts
* Kenne Bell Competition BAP
* ID 1300 injectors
* E-85
* FRPP Cobra Jet wide oval throttle body
* JLT big air 127mm Carbon Fiber intake with dry filter
* Stainless Works 1-7/8" Long Tube headers w/ offroad H-pipe
* Lund Tuned

Other current mods to support the power:

* BMR Adj. UCA, Adj. LCA's, Adj. Panhard Bar with Panhard Brace
* McLeod RXT Twin Disk Clutch
* Strange 31-Spline hardened rear axles
* True Trac Differential (going in with this build)

The motor is being sent to Tim Eichhorn at Mustang Performance Racing in Boyton Beach, FL for a full build. It will get a Cobra Jet Crankshaft, Manley Pro Billet I-Beam connecting rods, Diamond Racing 9.75:1 compression forged pistons, with all the trimmings, FRPP oil pump with billet gears, rotating assy balance and degreeing in of my JDM cams that were initially just installed straight up. While the motor is being worked, the heads and intake will go to Slawko Racing Heads for CNC porting and I'll install a return fuel system along with the requisite gauges (Boost/vac, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure) and take advantage of doing a little cleaning of the engine compartment and powder coating of little parts like the timing cover, large coolant fitting and other nickel/dime items.

Once we get the motor back in the car and properly broken in, I'll load it up in a trailer and take it up to Jon Lund in PA for final tuning on both 93 Octane at 17psi and E85 at 20-21psi.

My goal for now is to build a "Beauty and the Beast" combo and see if I can make 1K-RWHP with my little 2.9L Whipple on E85 while having a competitive winning show car! I know the 2.9L Whipple isn't the most efficient choice to attempt this with, but a bigger blower is just not in the budget this go round, so we'll just have to see.

So here we go! :rockon:

IMAG1845.jpg

Engine.jpg

IMAG2098.jpg

IMAG2091.jpg

Readytoship.jpg

Last edited:

MNCobra

Established Member
looks like a fun build...good luck and have fun with it...you already have a great looking car why not make it a monster...

BIRDDOC

Established Member
It's GO TIME!! We need to get our cars together one day (I'll be at MIR FYI)! My goal is "Show And Go" and yours is "Beauty and the Beast". LOL, I think we came from the same mold obviously!!

BadSonicBlueSVT

Established Member
Wow more NASTINESS!! I'll be keeping an eye on this build too. You guys are opening Pandora's box and I'm watching!! Great projects guys.

JimIII@jdm

Very exciting, we are happy to help your build in any way we can with our cams!

TORQJNKY

Very exciting, we are happy to help your build in any way we can with our cams!

Jim, I'll schedule an appointment with you when I get the short block back. You see, this is a way to keep the wife happy at the same time. I'll drop the motor off so JDM can degree in the cams while me and the wifey go to Atlantic City and/or New York City for a day or two, then pick the motor up on the way home :-D

svt662

Established Member
One Ultra Clean Mean driving machine! I LOVE IT....:burnout:

gaspasr

Established Member
I want to play too. Need to pay off some student debt first:cryying:

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Good luck on the build bud....lots of nasty new combos coming out this year. I kicked around big twin screw myself but im sticking with the TVS out of sheer determination to push the 2.3 like you are doing with the 2.9....best of luck with the build...maybe ill see you at MIR

Users who are viewing this thread