New 2015 info says GT500's 5.8L to be dropped for Ecoboost Coyote V8

gap4annie

Interesting new info by Automobile mag saying next gen GT500 will drop its 5.8L because it can't fit it. Will get a Ecoboost Coyote instead.
The May 2013 Issue of Automobile Magazine is out and the publication contains some interesting new speculation about the 2015 Mustang. Some of this information has been known and/or widely speculated while other info is new.

Highlights:

The 2015 Mustang will premiere at the New York Auto Show on April 16 or 17, 2014.
It will be slightly smaller and lighter and come close to retaining the current car's muscularity.
The current 5.8L V8 in the GT500 will not fit in the slimmer 2015 Mustang.
It will have an independent rear suspension (IRS).

The article also suggests that 6 (yes, six) different engine options will be available for the s550:

EcoBoost 5.0 Coyote Engine for the GT500
N/A 5.0 Coyote Engine for the Boss 302 (and presumably the GT)
EcoBoost 3.5L V6
N/A 3.7L V6
EcoBoost 2.0L 4-cylinder

attachment.php

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
Bullshit article full of pure speculation and blatant inaccuracies.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
the eco 5.0 wouldnt surprise me since it was in the prototype Cobra Jet recently...

RTD

Established Member
the eco 5.0 wouldnt surprise me since it was in the prototype Cobra Jet recently...

That was a CONCEPT car they put together for the SEMA show. They're not actually selling them and have not announced any plans to ever do so.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
That was a CONCEPT car they put together for the SEMA show. They're not actually selling them and have not announced any plans to ever do so.
The Turbo Jet's engine is a complete working model. It is likely to demonstrate the Coyote's Ecoboost (previously Twin Force) capabilities. It is also no secret that Ford engineered the "Road Runner" engine beside the developing Coyote. It was a twin turbo 5.0...

The only issue with the 5.8 is that it is in its final phases of life. If Ford could engineer TiVCT for it for cheap, it could sustain its life. The Coyote was built with Direct Injection, Supercharging, Turbo charging, PTWA and many other future technologies dormant.

Just because the 5.8 Condor is on its way out doesn't mean there will be a 5.0 Twin Turbo Coyote. They could still use a supercharger, single turbo (Ecoboost), increase displacement or a combination of FI and more CC's...

I am praying that Ford PTWA's a Coyote to 5.5. A 2017 GT500KR with a Twin Turbo/Supercharged 5.5 making 700hp. It would also give road racing teams a nice NA engine to compete when V10s, 12s and Turbo'd 6s have slowly taken over. It's also better to have a wider range of engines. GT3 is mainly 4.0-5.5 V8s with some I6 Turbo's. GT1-GT2 is more 4-8 liter V8-V10-V12... Having a catalog 5.0 and 5.5 would be awesome. 5.5 is the maximum displacement in most organizations... Definitely give VDS Roush/Yates a better base to start with in FIA... and FIA is somewhere the Mustang needs to do extremely well.

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
A 2017 GT500KR with a Twin Turbo/Supercharged 5.5 making 700hp.

The likelihood of that happening is about the same as the likelihood of internet dick pills giving you an extra 3 inches.

If we're lucky we'll get a 5.0 with DI and a TVS making around the same as a 2013/2014 GT500 in a few years. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they focus instead on increasing the hp of the NA 5.0 combined with lower vehicle weight.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
The likelihood of that happening is about the same as the likelihood of internet dick pills giving you an extra 3 inches.

If we're lucky we'll get a 5.0 with DI and a TVS making around the same as a 2013/2014 GT500 in a few years. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they focus instead on increasing the hp of the NA 5.0 combined with lower vehicle weight.
There will be a PTWA Coyote, I just don't know if an increased displacement is needed.

Wildman113

Established Member
Bullshit article full of pure speculation and blatant inaccuracies.

Agreed, all speculation.

If the 5.0 will fit in the engine bay with a pair of turbos hanging off of the sides, then the 5.8 will fit as well. The 5.8 isn't going away due to its physical size, its going away due to production cost and fuel economy.

The 2013-2014 GT500s should definitely be collectors items with their styling and power, the new car will be radically different.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
I doubt the 5.0 will make it into the Stang. But the other 3 motors are for sure...and we will get a SVT/Cobra again..no Shelby...can't wait

nickf2005

Established Member
Boss 302? Is Ford just giving the Boss a 2 year hiatus and reintroducing it? I'm a bit speculative.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
The 5.8 won't fit because of the height. This car will be going to Europe and there are pedestrian impact laws. A tall-deck 5.8 with a blower on top won't cut it.

On the Boss, I'm sure there will be another track-focused model. I don't know if it will be called the Boss 302 (prob not), just Boss, or something else.

rachelanne4579

Established Member
The 5.8 won't fit because of the height. This car will be going to Europe and there are pedestrian impact laws. A tall-deck 5.8 with a blower on top won't cut it.

On the Boss, I'm sure there will be another track-focused model. I don't know if it will be called the Boss 302 (prob not), just Boss, or something else.

Isn't the Boss done after 13? I thought the three year production was it til next time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It would be nice to see the SVT Cobra back in the Ford stable. Along with an 'R' model to compete with the new Camaro Z/28.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
C&D reported that a top mount supercharger on a Trinity or a Coyote would not clear the new mustang hood and that the next GT500 or equivalent would be a TT Coyote.

Users who are viewing this thread