The Dreaded Drip.......... 95R and 00R Fuel Safe cells, tick, tick, tick.............

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Well, I had a rude awakening this past week. I smelled an unusually strong fuel smell in the garage. At first I thought it must be one of the mowers, maybe the string trimmer, blower, fuel cans??? but in the back of my mind I remember the Fuel Cell leak discussions back in '03 and '05 on this R-Forum on some 95R's, and if I remember right, some 00R's were also leaking. <<<The 95R(s) being about 8 years old at that time and the 00R's being only 3+. I thought to myself, it can't be leaking, my 95R has less than 1000 original miles. WRONG, it is the 95R, the weep hole on the bottom right front of the fuel cell has an occassional drip, not a steady drip, but as one website called it, a "slow seep". The picture below is after three days. Myself being from the vintage car world have had to occassionally deal with a rust hole in a fuel tank but I "assumed" that all of that fuel tank deterioration stuff was in the past with a rubber lined fuel cell, wrong again, well not completely wrong, rust is not the issue. The issue is the average life according to Fuel Safe, of the cells rubber bladder and foam. I was told directly by them that I was doing very well at 12 years old as the life expectancy is 8 years for the fuel cell rubber and foam. I thought I'd ask about a price for the parts to make my cell safe again, $500, maybe $600 I guessed, wrong again, $1424 list price for the parts, and those can only be purchased through a authorized Fuel Safe dealer, OUCH!! I thought to myself, what if the 00R was also leaking, it is getting very close to its life expectancy of 8 years old. I contacted a couple of the members on this forum that I know have experience with this issue and they gave tips and advise, and I thank each of them. I also felt that since my car only has 1/4 tank that the fuel cell removal would not be "heavy". <<<I was given a tip by the fuel cell rep., he said don't assume that the cell is light, very often by the time the cell actually weeps, some, or much of the foam has become saturated with fuel, so even though I see 1/4 on the gauge, there could be 7 or more gallons obsorbed in the foam during the time that the cell has leaked internally in addition to the 1/4 tank, so never assume it is light, you could quickly get hurt and who wants to drop their fuel cell because it "gets away" on the jack.

Anyway, I am going to get the car up this week and start the removal process.

Mark Wilson, on this forum is a Fuel Safe dealer. He and I are working together on this. As things progress, there will be more to come........

One thing that the Fuel Safe rep. said sticks in my mind ...."When a fuel cell reaches approx. 8 years old start paying attention to it, it is not a matter of "if", but instead "when" it will begin to leak. He also said it does not matter if you drive that car, store the car, race the car, keep a full tank, or low fuel in the tank, it is the rubber that deteriorates and age is the only factor.

As I type this, time is ticking and the fuel cells are deteriorating, tick, tick, tick. Isn't that a nice thought, especially if you own a couple, or maybe even more of these cars!?!?

Picture1041-3.gif

R

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Robert:

I think you will find the bolts very loose on your access hole on the 2000 R when you get around to that one. That's where my tank started leaking a couple of years ago.

This is a warning to ALL 2000 Cobra R owners that track their cars AND have dumps:

PULL YOUR FUEL CELL AND RESEAL IT BEFORE YOU HAVE A BAD EXPERIENCE!

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert:

I think you will find the bolts very loose on your access hole on the 2000 R when you get around to that one. That's where my tank started leaking a couple of years ago.

This is a warning to ALL 2000 Cobra R owners that track their cars AND have dumps:

PULL YOUR FUEL CELL AND RESEAL IT BEFORE YOU HAVE A BAD EXPERIENCE!

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

^^^^^Thanks for the heads-up.^^^^^

Didn't we see an 00R recently that had caught on fire, maybe in the right rear?

The rep. at Fuel Safe did tell me to check the fasteners on all access points when a fuel cell is out for any reason. He said they should be tightened to 85in.lbs.

I was hoping that maybe the 95R had a hose, or flange or something else leaking, but all appears dry above the bottom right front corner except where the fuel has followed the right strap rearward and made the rubber insulator pad like gum. Fuel Safe will also provide that insulation strip for the strap, but you have to tell them that you want/need it so they can put it with your order.

R

sdfrog177

Established Member
Maybe a group order on bladders? May as well get a spare or two so when the time comes your ready.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I am blessed that Dean replace my fuel cell and that this is not something I have to sweat about just yet. Its also interesting to hear how much fuel the rubber can absorb.

Does the 7 gallons absorbed cut into the 22 gallons of fuel that could go into the car?

JoeJ

Established Member
Guys,

If you start having indication of a fuel leak on a fuel cell, please take care of it as soon as possible. I am not sure you have all seen what can happen so I will attach a picture of my 2000 Cobra R on fire at Miller Motorsport Park. It is not a pretty picture and I was lucky that wind was blowing away from the driver side of the car.

Indications are that a electrical pressure switch failed which caused the cell to pressure up and blow out a connection. The switch maintains a certain pressure in the cell and it failed to open.

grape

Established Member
hold up before you pay $1400 for a crappy fuel safe bladder, can somebody get me the deminsions of the can for the 95 R. I bet our 22 gallon ATL's will fit and they are everywhere now due to the new fuel cell rule in the Cup and truck series. What is the fill plate attatchement look like?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Guys,

If you start having indication of a fuel leak on a fuel cell, please take care of it as soon as possible. I am not sure you have all seen what can happen so I will attach a picture of my 2000 Cobra R on fire at Miller Motorsport Park. It is not a pretty picture and I was lucky that wind was blowing away from the driver side of the car.

Indications are that a electrical pressure switch failed which caused the cell to pressure up and blow out a connection. The switch maintains a certain pressure in the cell and it failed to open.

Joe,

I hate seeing your car like that. But I gotta say that is one kick ass picture. I would have that sucker blown up and on the wall in my office.

Tom

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Joe,

You sure your brakes didn't cause the fire?? The rear rotor is clearly on fire in that picture!! You'll also notice Joe running back to the car for his Barry Manilow CD's! :rolling:

Grape - ATL and Fuel Safe are owned by the same company and I'd be really surprised if the material they use is any different. Sure you can get the straight 22 rectangular cell to fit but it's going to require lots of cutting which is something most R owners don't want to do.

My price to you guys is less than $1400.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
hold up before you pay $1400 for a crappy fuel safe bladder, can somebody get me the deminsions of the can for the 95 R. I bet our 22 gallon ATL's will fit and they are everywhere now due to the new fuel cell rule in the Cup and truck series. What is the fill plate attatchement look like?

I will not be paying $1400 for my cell repair, Mark has a much sweeter deal. The decission I have to make is...........do I want to buy the replacement cell/bladder from Mark and attempt it myself with some possible help from a somewhat local member who has done this before? OR do I want to pay shipping and send my cell from FL. to OR. and back and have Fuel Safe do the repair which is also part of Marks sweet deal. I do want the replacement parts to fit/seal properly, which I am not sure that another brand could guarantee. From what I see on the Fuel Safe site, this fuel cell has three holes/flanges, one on the side for the fuel filler tube and two on the top, one for the sending unit/fuel pump assy. and one oval access hole.<<<I think. The tank is also "stepped" (taller on the right side) to fit in the late model Mustang underbody so it is not your average rectangle or square fuel cell.

For those who are purests, collectors and car show guys, I have questioned Fuel Safe about their repair facility and how a cell is handled and repaired...............They do all work on a carpeted work bench to minimize the chance of causing scratches on the cells black powder coated outer surface. <<<This will be of special interest to a wrapper owner when his/her fuel cell starts to drip. I also questioned them about old/outdated stickers or any other original information that is on the outer tank..............."is any of this original info. altered? do they die-stamp anything with new dates etc.?" They tell me that my original cell will be repaired at their facility with no alterations to the outer tank at all. All original 1995 information will be on it, as it is now. They will include a......... I think he said F.I.A. certificate that will show that my cell has been repaired and is up to current certified standards.<<The race guys would need that, and when a Cobra R is being sold, it will definitly of interest to someone who might read this thread.<<Something to keep in the glovebox or with information on that specific R-car.

Anyway, that is all I know now. I did pick up a set of fuel/a.c. line tools needed to seperate the fuel lines, so work will get started soon.

R

Last edited:

grape

Established Member
we pull the bladder out through the oval fill plate hole every week for tech......it's really no big deal.......just wear gloves to keep from cutting your hands.

I still have no deminsions, somebody did say it has a step up in the right side, so I'll ask again.........anybody have deminsions of the can?

Cobra-R

Established Member
I will not be paying $1400 for my cell repair, Mark has a much sweeter deal. The decission I have to make is...........do I want to buy the replacement cell/bladder from Mark and attempt it myself with some possible help from a somewhat local member who has done this before? OR do I want to pay shipping and send my cell from FL. to OR. and back and have Fuel Safe do the repair which is also part of Marks sweet deal. I do want the replacement parts to fit/seal properly, which I am not sure that another brand could guarantee. From what I see on the Fuel Safe site, this fuel cell has three holes/flanges, one on the side for the fuel filler tube and two on the top, one for the sending unit/fuel pump assy. and one oval access hole.<<<I think. The tank is also "stepped" (taller on the right side) to fit in the late model Mustang underbody so it is not your average rectangle or square fuel cell.

For those who are purests, collectors and car show guys, I have questioned Fuel Safe about their repair facility and how a cell is handled and repaired...............They do all work on a carpeted work bench to minimize the chance of causing scratches on the cells black powder coated outer surface. <<<This will be of special interest to a wrapper owner when his/her fuel cell starts to drip. I also questioned them about old/outdated stickers or any other original information that is on the outer tank..............."is any of this original info. altered? do they die-stamp anything with new dates etc.?" They tell me that my original cell will be repaired at their facility with no alterations to the outer tank at all. All original 1995 information will be on it, as it is now. They will include a......... I think he said F.I.A. certificate that will show that my cell has been repaired and is up to current certified standards.<<The race guys would need that, and when a Cobra R is being sold, it will definitly of interest to someone who might read this thread.<<Something to keep in the glovebox or with information on that specific R-car.

Anyway, that is all I know now. I did pick up a set of fuel/a.c. line tools needed to seperate the fuel lines, so work will get started soon.

R

Unless you really know what you are getting in to, send the cell off to Fuel Safe......... We just replaced my 95R bladder and it is a pia.

Brian

Ruslow

Established Member
The only problem I see with send cell back to fuel safe is that once it has had fuel in it is it not a haz mat problem with shipping?I need to get mine done before the season starts and am debating on doing it myself for that reason alone.Stan

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The only problem I see with send cell back to fuel safe is that once it has had fuel in it is it not a haz mat problem with shipping?I need to get mine done before the season starts and am debating on doing it myself for that reason alone.Stan

Stan - Fuel Safe told me that the cell would have to be flushed with water before shipment. The problem with that is, many people do not have a legal place that they can flush raw fuel and not take the risk of the EPA hunting them down. Fortunately, I have found a place where I can flush my cell legally. I am also going to "attempt" to remove the foam and rubber liner. I would guess that removal of the old/deteriorated parts should not be a big deal as they should be able to be taken out piece by piece (cut up) if needed. This would eliminate most of the fuel smell and also lighten the cell for shipment, if I do decide to let Fuel Safe do the work. The main reason I hesitate shipping my cell is possible shipping damage.

R

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
couldnt you take it to a radiator shop and have them flush it? just tell them DONT mess it up, or youll mess up their face...lol

Users who are viewing this thread