LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Product number two from LDC Chicago Superior Automotive Products Inc. is now available. Dana designed this freeplay correction kit for his car and it has worked well for him for approximately a year so far. This kit adds a tube and spring to the clutch cable that helps restore stock clutch pedal feel to cars that have aftermarket clutch adjusters. If you have an aftermarket clutch adjuster and a “dead” spot on the clutch pedal, this kit should help you. The spring also helps keep the TOB off the clutch fingers instead of the TOB riding on the fingers. This is a simple kit that does more than its low cost would suggest. Intro price on this kit will be $14.95 shipped. You can make one for yourself if you like or save yourself the trouble and buy the kit from us for less than $15. This kit is a simple install and should be able to be completed in less than 10 minutes.

Remember, this kit WILL NOT correct defective/bad/worn out clutch assemblies.
It is intended to be installed in conjunction with an aftermarket quadrant & adjuster.
To take advantage of this product, the freeplay must be adjusted correctly.

Anyone who would like one of these LDC Chicago clutch freeplay correction kits, PayPal $14.95 to [email protected] along with your shipping info. Illinois residents add $1.00 for sales tax. Please mention that you want the “clutch freeplay correction kit”. Thanks to everybody and keep your eyes open for the next superior product from LDC Chicago.

If you have any ideas for parts you would like for your cars that aren’t available, PM or e-mail [ [email protected] ] the idea to me [Cliff/Flyn high again]. If we build your idea, you get one FREE in return for the suggestion.

Thanks,

Cliff

attachment.php

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Anyone who has an aftermarket clutch quad/fw adjuster, your killing yourself by NOT having this thing!

03yellow

Established Member
I would like to keed my stock clutck cable. Will this work with the stock cable?

flyn high again said:
Product number two from LDC Chicago Superior Automotive Products Inc. is now available. Dana designed this freeplay correction kit for his car and it has worked well for him for approximately a year so far. This kit adds a tube and spring to the clutch cable that helps restore stock clutch pedal feel to cars that have aftermarket clutch adjusters. If you have an aftermarket clutch adjuster and a “dead” spot on the clutch pedal, this kit should help you. The spring also helps keep the TOB off the clutch fingers instead of the TOB riding on the fingers. This is a simple kit that does more than its low cost would suggest. Intro price on this kit will be $14.95 shipped. You can make one for yourself if you like or save yourself the trouble and buy the kit from us for less than $15. This kit is a simple install and should be able to be completed in less than 10 minutes.

Remember, this kit WILL NOT correct defective/bad/worn out clutch assemblies.
It is intended to be installed in conjunction with an aftermarket quadrant & adjuster.
To take advantage of this product, the freeplay must be adjusted correctly.

Anyone who would like one of these LDC Chicago clutch freeplay correction kits, PayPal $14.95 to [email protected] along with your shipping info. Illinois residents add $1.00 for sales tax. Please mention that you want the “clutch freeplay correction kit”. Thanks to everybody and keep your eyes open for the next superior product from LDC Chicago.

If you have any ideas for parts you would like for your cars that aren’t available, PM or e-mail [ [email protected] ] the idea to me [Cliff/Flyn high again]. If we build your idea, you get one FREE in return for the suggestion.

Thanks,

Cliff

attachment.php

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
So, if I have a completely stock clutch system minus the clutch assembly itself (Ram heavy-duty unit), can I use this? I have a jumpy pedal and was thinking this might help a bit. Thanks, I'll order mine very soon!

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
Ahh Okay I finally found out what this thing is.. My pedal so far actually feels fine.. I have my Fiore FW Adjuster and quadrant installed this weekend and adjusted the slack out of the cable.. Clutch engagement is just above midway on the pedal travel..

Would I notice any benefit with this kit and would the spring limit the range of motion the fork makes when the clutch is pressed? or how about requiring more leg Powah! to push the pedal in?

Thanks!..

B.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I installed mine along with the FIORE quadrant/firewall adjuster this last weekend, and I give the LDC unit full praises. :bowdown:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
JAXCOBRA99 said:
Ahh Okay I finally found out what this thing is.. My pedal so far actually feels fine.. I have my Fiore FW Adjuster and quadrant installed this weekend and adjusted the slack out of the cable.. Clutch engagement is just above midway on the pedal travel..

Would I notice any benefit with this kit and would the spring limit the range of motion the fork makes when the clutch is pressed? or how about requiring more leg Powah! to push the pedal in?

Thanks!..

B.
The benefit is that the spring keeps the fork away from the TOB when the clutch is out thereby reducing wear on the TOB. It only works when properly adjusted with about 1/8" of freeplay at the fork (about 1" at the pedal) when you manually compress the spring. I did notice increased force required to depress the clutch. It will take awhile to get used to. With my FIORE, and a properly adjusted freeplay kit, my clutch engages about 2" off the floor.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Ordered one and Cliff answered emails quickly and the parts arrived in about 3 days. Thanks! Going to install it tomorrow! :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: <------Me if my TOB noise is gone for good.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
AzDropTop said:
Ordered one and Cliff answered emails quickly and the parts arrived in about 3 days. Thanks! Going to install it tomorrow! :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: <------Me if my TOB noise is gone for good.
Let us know how it turns out.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Well, I installed the set up yesterday and my TOB is not officially quiet. Great product, it does what is intended. The only problem I have with it is that to actually adjust the FWA to a point where the ToB is off of the pressure plate the clutch has to release very low to the floor. Not the fault of the LDC, but of Ford's poor design in the first place. Hopefully I will get used to the low adjustment.

03yellow

Established Member
Try this:

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

Usually 1 click will raise it to the correct position!

AzDropTop said:
Well, I installed the set up yesterday and my TOB is not officially quiet. Great product, it does what is intended. The only problem I have with it is that to actually adjust the FWA to a point where the ToB is off of the pressure plate the clutch has to release very low to the floor. Not the fault of the LDC, but of Ford's poor design in the first place. Hopefully I will get used to the low adjustment.

Last edited:

AzDropTop

Established Member
03yellow said:
Try this:

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

Usually 1 click will raise it to the correct position!

That would work great if I has a stock clutch set up. :D But I don't, I have a FWA and a new quadrant. The basic problem with the whole stock Ford clutch system is that they design the TOB and pressure plate to be in constant contact which IMO leads to the wearing out of TOB's sooner than if they were not. When you add a FWA and quadrant you have a situation where you now have the ability to get the TOB off of the pressure plate when the clutch is not engauged, but you have a very narrow window-thus the clutch releases real close to the floor. I just need to get used to it.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
03yellow said:
.....Usually 1 click will raise it to the correct position!

the LDC freeplay correction kit is intended to be used with an aftermarket adjuster, not the stock "self-adjuster"

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
AzDropTop said:
That would work great if I has a stock clutch set up. :D But I don't, I have a FWA and a new quadrant. The basic problem with the whole stock Ford clutch system is that they design the TOB and pressure plate to be in constant contact which IMO leads to the wearing out of TOB's sooner than if they were not. When you add a FWA and quadrant you have a situation where you now have the ability to get the TOB off of the pressure plate when the clutch is not engauged, but you have a very narrow window-thus the clutch releases real close to the floor. I just need to get used to it.
You could try the Steeda 'Quick Release" quadrant. You will get more pedal travel for the same clutch action. This would raise your engagement point higher up off of the floor. It is their RED color quadrant.
I don't know if there are other brands that are "quick release".

Also, if your TOB is still making noise with the pedal all the way at the top of the stroke, you don't have enough freeplay because the TOB is still touching the PP. But this contradicts the fact that your clutch engagement point is so close to the floor. That would seem to indicate that you do, in fact, have sufficient free play.

Or did you mean that the TOB is still making noise, but just when you move the pedal to disengage the clutch? If that is the case, then the TOB has already been damaged and is on its way out. Sorry. The only fix for that is replace the TOB. The clutch kit may extend the life some by eliminating any unnecessay contact, but ultimately you will have to replace the TOB.

BTW, I agree Ford's entire clutch linkage setup sucks. This design had to have cost them hundreds of thouands of $$$ in warranty repairs that would not have had to have been done with a different setup.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread