03 Cobra Hesitation and P0148 DTC

Samtabulis

Established Member
I've recently purchased a 2003 Cobra with about 66,000 miles on it. It has just the basic mods; pulley, x-pipe, cat-back exhaust, CAI and Diablosport tuner. It runs great and is very responsive, until it hits about 5,000 rpm and then it falls on it's face. The first time it happened it felt almost like a rev-limiter kicked in. I pulled DTC P0148, so I changed the fuel filter with a Motorcraft filter (pulled out a Purolator...ugh) but nothing changed. From what I've read the FRPS is a pretty common problem, but it seems like people usually have more severe problems, like not starting at all or running horribly. Same with what I've read on the P0148 code. This car starts and runs great, just until it hits higher rpms. Any suggestions?

KILRSVT

Established Member
i would check the frps still disconnect the hose and make sure no fuel is present..the code should describe some sort of fuel delivery error...i would also check fuel pressure and if you can check it while the car is under a load...

Samtabulis

Established Member
I pulled the hose off the FRPS and there was no sight or smell of gas. I data-logged fuel pressure and ran it just through 1st and 2nd gear (I didn't push it too hard or wind it up very much). 1st gear I took it up to 5107 RPM and FRP was at 74psi. In 2nd gear I took it to just 4805 RPM and FRP was at 52psi. Should this be plenty of pressure? Do you think it's just in the tune?

no2moro

Established Member
Restore the tune to stock. Could be a tune problem. If you still have trouble on stock tune then it is most likely your fuel pump. Very common problem.

Fat-cat

Established Member
mine does this from time to time on dual GT pumps.. i havent logged it but i think im hitting a voltage cut on my FPDM

Samtabulis

Established Member
What should fuel pressure be while under load at WOT with these cars? I data-logged another run today and it hovered around 46psi while under load. It peaked at 75 for a brief moment (I think the instant I let off to shift), but the majority of the time was 40-46.

I definitely want to get this dyno-tuned to ensure everything is proper (especially A/F), but don't want to get there only to be told I have a problem. I also don't want to throw parts at the car.

The fuel pressure I just read seems low to me, especially considering FP at idle is around 40. From what I've read, it seems like a KB boost-a-pump may help. What do you guys think?

Wck'd01GT

Established Member
Did you replace the frps? I was racing the other night and sensed the major hesitation. Come to find out, my frps had taken a shit on me. Replaced it and runs like a champ now!

hemified86

Established Member
Hello, you guys figure out what the problem is. Sounds about the same problem I'm having. feels like I'm hitting mr rev limiter. I'm getting a kenne bell bap and a stage 2 fpdm. I will let know if that works.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
i am having same problem intermittently except mine stops at about 4200. i have a BAP and modded fpdm. gonna try some fresh plugs and a new frps. any other ideas folks?

lgonz051

Established Member
only way to tell is to tune it and run a diagnostic on the fuel system. and stay OUT of WOT

Users who are viewing this thread