Found the cure to our alternator woes!!!

BUMPSTICKS

Established Member
EDIT: I have merged this thread with another alternator thread because they both have important information on this topic.
Jimmysidecarr

As most of you know, the 03-04 cobra are notorious for having alternators go bad. I have been hunting down a voltage problem myself for over a year now and I have found some very interesting evidence that I think ALL terminator owners should know.

1. The car, as built by Ford, is over spinning the alternator.

Through my year of testing more of our alternators than you could shake a stick at, I have found that the alternaotrs in our cars all turn on ( as in start producing voltage) at about 650-700 rpms. That is the speed of the alternator, NOT the engine speed. So, if the crank pulley is roughly 7.5 inches and the alternator pulley is around 2.5 inches, the alternator spins about 3x what the engine does. So on any given car with an idle speed of 800 rpms, the alternator is now spinning at 2,400 rpms, 1,700 rpms past when it actually turns on. This, according to my testing, is too high. At 6,500 rpms you are now spinning the alternator at 19,500 rpms, seriously over spun. If you install, for example, a 3.2 inch alternator pulley, this will now produce an alternator speed of around 2x the engine speed. Alternator idle speed is now dropped to 1600 rpms and the 6,500 rpm engine speed has now dropped the alternator down to 13,000. Knocking 6,500 rpms off of the top speed of the alternator is going to seriosly increase the life of our alternators! Now for those worried about voltage problems, I have tested this on my car as well as a couple other mustangs. This has shown to still produce 13.9-14.2 volts at idle once warmed up. Data logging has also shown a much more steady voltage in the high rpms as well as much less of a drop off. I truly believe that under driving our alternators is the key to making them last longer.

2. Our alternators are not rated high enough to power our cars.

This is where it gets interesting. Our stock alternator is rated to 105 amps. Any given alternator is only capable of producing 80% of its rating continuously, so a 105 amp alternator can safely continuously produce 82 amps. Being an electrician I happen to have certain tools which help to prove my point here. If you place an amp meter (Amp clamp to most who know) on the outgoing wire of the alternator you can tell exactly how much amperage the car is drawing. Our cars, with the fans running and the light on pull about 70-75 amps. Turn on the A/C and radio and you are now at 90-93 amps. This is 8-11 amps above what the alternator is capable of doing. this shows the stock alternator is not even powerful enough to safely and efficiently power our cars even in stock form! I would seriously suggest EVERYONE run at least a 140 amp rated alternator.

3. Heat kills our alternators as well.

I have found that heat has been a huge factor in the death of our alternators. During my testing i found the alternator becoming almost too hot to touch when run for 10 minutes. This all changed though after I slowed the alternator down. Once it was slowed down the alternator did get hot, but never too hot to touch. Although this is not the most scientific test, it gives us an understanding on what's going on. As for more accurate testing, I give you this. With the stock pulley on the cars tested would idle and produce a voltage of around 14.3. Once warmed up they produced only 13.7-13.8 volts. After changing to a bigger alternator pulley the cars now idled when cold at around 14.2 volts but when warmed up, only dropped to 14.0-13.97. This seems to be a much more stable setup.

In conclusion. A bigger alternator pulley on a stock unit should greatly increase the life of our alternators but a bigger alternator with a bigger pulley is the ideal setup.

So take it for what it's worth but I can tell you I have tested more on these cars, in terms of the charging system, than ANYONE has ever tested. I believe even more than Ford tested themselves......

Last edited by a moderator:

SVT GI

Established Member
Great write up OP.

Can you give Alternator pulley options/size's for people who are running lower pullies. Is a 3.2 pulley still good for a 4# lower now or is that what you reccomend for stock?

BTW, this is an odd coincidense being that I just ordered my new alternator from Tousley today LOL!

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
Does ford make a bigger alternator, bigger pulley that would work on our cars?

281stangman

Established Member
This is 8-11 amps above what the alternator is capable of doing.

yeah thats usually the case with alot of alternators....good write up, you know your stuff.

But just wondering (even though usually its the bushings on alternators that go out first) isnt the regulator supposed to control the voltage output of the alternator after around 2000 engine rpms? Most higher quality(200+ amp alternators) have better bushings dont they? lol not to nag about questions considering the amense data you've already shared but where did you get your bigger pulley from?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great write-up. Most of what you said in your post has been discussed in the past but you have definitely added some important technical info and have stated the problem is a nice concise way. Excellent job!

This is one reason why I recommend a Start 'n Charge Performance Alternator from Jamie McClinton. He has worked on alternators for over 20 years and basically what he sells is a high performance version of the OEM. If you want any more info, call Jamie at (509) 447-0289.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Thanks, BUMPSTICKS for the great info!:beer:

I've never had any alternator problems with my Cobra, but I don't routinely run the engine past 5K RPMs. However, if I ever have a problem I will install a heavy duty alternator along with a different pulley. (Another belt sizing adventure...:nonono:)

sc98cbra

Established Member
Wow!! Great write up for sure! Does installing a bigger alternator pulley mess with boost?

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Great write up OP.

Can you give Alternator pulley options/size's for people who are running lower pullies. Is a 3.2 pulley still good for a 4# lower now or is that what you reccomend for stock?

BTW, this is an odd coincidense being that I just ordered my new alternator from Tousley today LOL!

I'd like to have an opinion on this also, since that is going to be my new setup this upcoming season. I have the 3.2 alt. pulley, but will the 4# lower make the rpms too fast for it anyway (like in the stock situation)?

BUMPSTICKS

Established Member
Does ford make a bigger alternator, bigger pulley that would work on our cars?

I bought mine from Lethal performance. I don't know if ford makes a bigger pulley for our application.

yeah thats usually the case with alot of alternators....good write up, you know your stuff.

But just wondering (even though usually its the bushings on alternators that go out first) isnt the regulator supposed to control the voltage output of the alternator after around 2000 engine rpms? Most higher quality(200+ amp alternators) have better bushings dont they? lol not to nag about questions considering the amense data you've already shared but where did you get your bigger pulley from?

It's usually the bearings that go out on our alternators. This can also be attributed to the high rpm they are run at from the factory. Some of the aftermarket alternator manufacturers do indeed upgrade the bearings but these can still be affected by spinning them too high.

Great write-up. Most of what you said in your post has been discussed in the past but you have definitely added some important technical info and have stated the problem is a nice concise way. Excellent job!

This is one reason why I recommend a Start 'n Charge Performance Alternator from Jamie McClinton. He has worked on alternators for over 20 years and basically what he sells is a high performance version of the OEM. If you want any more info, call Jamie at (509) 447-0289.

I too recommend Jamie at Start N Charge! Best product out there and he has the greatest customer service hands down!

Wow!! Great write up for sure! Does installing a bigger alternator pulley mess with boost?

A change in boost will screw up the Air/Fuel ratio and be potential danger.

No. The only pullies that affect boost are the crankpulley and the supercharger pulley itself.

I'd like to have an opinion on this also, since that is going to be my new setup this upcoming season. I have the 3.2 alt. pulley, but will the 4# lower make the rpms too fast for it anyway (like in the stock situation)?

The math is quite easy. If I have a 3.2 alternator pulley and a 7.5 crank pulley then you divide 7.5 by 2.5 and you get about 2.1. Multiply 2.1 by your engine idle speed, say 800 rpms, and you get 1680. My alternator turns at 1,680 rpms when the car is idleing at 800. So now take your 4# lower which is an 8.5 pulley and divide that by your 3.2 alternator pulley and you get 2.65. So 800 multiplied by 2.6 is 2,080 rpms for your alternator at an 800 rpm engine idle.

You have slowed it down in terms of how fast a stock alternator from the factory spins. I believe you could slow it down even more though and never have a problem. Hell, my alternator spins 400 less rpm and I have no issues.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I bought mine from Lethal performance. I don't know if ford makes a bigger pulley for our application.

It's usually the bearings that go out on our alternators. This can also be attributed to the high rpm they are run at from the factory. Some of the aftermarket alternator manufacturers do indeed upgrade the bearings but these can still be affected by spinning them too high.

I too recommend Jamie at Start N Charge! Best product out there and he has the greatest customer service hands down!

No. The only pullies that affect boost are the crankpulley and the supercharger pulley itself.

The math is quite easy. If I have a 3.2 alternator pulley and a 7.5 crank pulley then you divide 7.5 by 2.5 and you get about 2.1. Multiply 2.1 by your engine idle speed, say 800 rpms, and you get 1680. My alternator turns at 1,680 rpms when the car is idleing at 800. So now take your 4# lower which is an 8.5 pulley and divide that by your 3.2 alternator pulley and you get 2.65. So 800 multiplied by 2.6 is 2,080 rpms for your alternator at an 800 rpm engine idle.

You have slowed it down in terms of how fast a stock alternator from the factory spins. I believe you could slow it down even more though and never have a problem. Hell, my alternator spins 400 less rpm and I have no issues.

Thanks for answering that. It looks like it may be worth picking up a 3.5 pulley at some point, but since I don't put a lot of miles on the car, it will be fine for now anyway.:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Gotta love this place! Can't tell you the number of times I've read a thread where someone is having a problem of some type and usually somebody comes to the rescue with great info and advice. Here guys, have a beer on me. :beer:

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
Not related to your cars. But something that may help.. My old truck had this problem. And it actually got soo hot that it melted the clip going to it, causing it to overcharge itself, which eventually led to a nasty fire. The truck was a 1989 Ford F-150. Ford has had these issues in the past. May be something to look into now.

03yellow

Established Member
Our alternators are 130 amps!
I am underpinning it by 14%
A higher amp alt will add more windings to the case... making it hotter.

As predicted we are now seeing failures with the start-n-charge alts because they are starting to see some milage. I also predict we will see lots of threads in July with more failures.

You got it right when it comes to heat. TOO HOT TO TOUCH is an understatement. The small case does not allow for air to circulate. And its buried in the engine compartment. POOR DESIGN on the case and location.

Ive been thru 4 alts so far. They were all cooked inside. and all of them went in the summer. The guy who rebuilt my alt last time showed me the windings... looked like there was a fire inside the case.

You can buy an expensive 180amp (with all the best parts LOL) and underdriven it with a larger pulley and it wont help. NOT much!

Ive tried all the alts (not the start n charge until the results are in) and nothing will help to put the fire out inside the case.

The cure would be to relocate the alt and build a bigger case.

Last edited:

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
great rite up i havent had any problems with my alt yet i have put 6k on my car sense i bought it but when it dose go ill try underdriving it i mean it makes sense lower RPM=less heat cheers:beer:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I know a few guys have routed the hole next to the fog light to direct air onto the alternator, wonder if it does provide some help in cooling them off and making them last?

Users who are viewing this thread