T-56 Magnum and Mcleod Rxt Twin disc issues....

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Ok, so ive got the mcleod twin disc clutch in the car since i was having slippage issues with the spec 3+. I thought it was the clutch and or flywheel. Removed it and had a wierd pattern on friction disc of flywheel (spec alum flywheel with replaceable center section).... So bought a Mcleod Rxt. So i went and attempted to install it without the adj pivot ball and it dawned on me. FOR SOME DAMNED REASON the t-56 magnum has something different on it that doesnt allow for the clutch fork to go rearward far enough, to allow the TOB to be BARELY touching (or small gap) the clutch fingers. I realized that my issues with the spec 3+ was NOT the clutch, i found out that the tob was riding on the clutch fingers about 1/4-1/2". I know this as i remember when i was installing the first time, AND when i got the new motor in, that i could only get the tranny to get close (1/2" gap) and i'd need the bolts to suck the tranny up to the bellhousing.
Fastforward today, so i put the adjustable pivot ball in, did everything, but there was still no play inbetween the TOB and the clutch's fingers. I figured that since i'd gotten about another 1/4-1/3" of clearance from the TOB rearward with the pivot ball..... NOT. Took her for a spin tonight and that sucker revved up from the clutch slipping by the time i hit 5 psi!
Nothing will F'ing work for me with this car. I love it, its so fast but GOD DAMN, i cant catch a break. So ive gotta remove the tranny AGAIN tomorrow for the 4th time. I shouldve known that it wasnt going to work with that much preload on the fingers. I am going to have to remove the jam nut to pull the pivot ball in more,even moreso, possibly grind some of the back side of the clutch fork off for clearance( its contacting the tranny on the backside)
BTW: Mcleod Rxt is the SHIT.... it is so SO SO easy to push in.

So has anyone had this problem with a t-56 magnum and a twin disc, what did you do, how did you do it?
Can anyone give me some ideas what other things can cause slippage with the RXT. I installed it per the instructions, the bottom disc had .020 clearance, and moved freely.
PS: I posted this in here so i got some actual responses as in driveline the last time i posted in there i got no responses, and i need help

Last edited:

teamstorm02

Established Member
I'm having the same exact problem as you right now.. I have the rxt and the t56 magnum and it starts to slip in first and my trans is really notchy

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
well i thought i had the problem fixed..... NOT! Its not so much the slipping problem anymore, now its just the damned throwout bearing squeeling/tweeting like a bird, and this vibration in the clutch pedal. I at first thought i had the problem fixed, since when i installed it, it had a good 1/8"+ of space between the TOB and clutch's fingers. Now, there is no more freeplay. If you want to know how i made it give me some freeplay, i removed the jam nut from the pivot ball to allow more rearward adjustment, and i notched the clutch fork. It was cool, now im back to square one with it sitting on the clutch fingers, minus the slippage......

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Have you tried talking to McLeod about this or Tremec?? The RXT was going to be my next clutch but now I'm not to sure :/

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Have you tried talking to McLeod about this or Tremec?? The RXT was going to be my next clutch but now I'm not to sure :/

Here's the deal LOTS of guys really swing on the nuts of McLeod saying their the best thing ever BUT i've seen more and more writeups about guys having issues with them:shrug: OK their smooth as butter but failures do happen..
I'm putting a Spec 2+ in mine when the time calls for it, still on the stocker and it's performs great with over 500RW..:rockon:

Black Cobra

Established Member
I'de call them and see what they had to say about the magnum.

BTW; McLeod sells a hydraulic TOB that elimininates the forks all together; that works with their Hydraulic Conversion Kit.

cobracide

Established Member
You need an aftermarket quardrant, McLeod recommended. Also an aftermarket firewall adjuster, Fiore microclick. Yes the twin disk is tough to install since it has twice double the amount of discs. :)

Last edited:

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Just got done installing my RXT this afternoon. Fiore quadrant, firewall adjuster, and you must use an adjustable pivot ball. I ended up adjusting mine so it was 4mm shorter than stock. When everything was tight, the clutch fork had about an 1/8" of free play. Just got done taking it out for a spin after the install, and it works flawlessly. By far the best clutch I've ever had!! Hands down. Its all about the details of the install.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You need an aftermarket quardrant, McLeod recommended. Also an aftermarket firewall adjuster, Fiore microclick. Yes the twin disk is tough to install since it has twice double the amount of discs. :)
+1

Even though this thread is old.

Sounds like the OP needs a different quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Just got done installing my RXT this afternoon. Fiore quadrant, firewall adjuster, and you must use an adjustable pivot ball. I ended up adjusting mine so it was 4mm shorter than stock. When everything was tight, the clutch fork had about an 1/8" of free play. Just got done taking it out for a spin after the install, and it works flawlessly. By far the best clutch I've ever had!! Hands down. Its all about the details of the install.
I used my stock flywheel and did NOT need an adjustable pivot ball.

Also, you don't want to leave ANY gap between the PP fingers and TOB. You want a small amount of Preload on the TOB just like the factory quadrant/spring pawl adjuster. Remember, these cars have "Constant Velocity" TOB's so should be spinning all the time.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
+1

Even though this thread is old.

Sounds like the OP needs a different quadrant and firewall adjuster.

I used my stock flywheel and did NOT need an adjustable pivot ball.

Also, you don't want to leave ANY gap between the PP fingers and TOB. You want a small amount of Preload on the TOB just like the factory quadrant/spring pawl adjuster. Remember, these cars have "Constant Velocity" TOB's so should be spinning all the time.

A friend of mine installed his RXT with the stock pivot ball. It had some preload on the TOB, not exactly sure how much though. He had problems with it slipping. Not saying that was the complete problem, but its a possibility. I've had luck with leaving a little play for the clutch fork in both RXT's I've installed. (not saying its 100% correct way)

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
A friend of mine installed his RXT with the stock pivot ball. It had some preload on the TOB, not exactly sure how much though. He had problems with it slipping. Not saying that was the complete problem, but its a possibility. I've had luck with leaving a little play for the clutch fork in both RXT's I've installed. (not saying its 100% correct way)
Clutch adjustment varies on different cars. Different firewall adjusters, quadrant's, flywheels etc...

You only put a very small amount of preload on he TOB. Just enough to mimic the factory spring/pawl adjuster.

Sounds like he had too much.

Users who are viewing this thread