Need help ASAP. Engine related.

vipergts281

Established Member
Better videos and pictures in post #36.

Just stopped to put air in my rear tires at a busy gas station. As I was doing that, this loud screeching sound started. Because of the air compressor noise I couldn't tell that screeching was coming from my engine area.

Once the compressor shut off I could tell it was my car. This sound lasted about one minute until I noticed and turned the car off. Sound kept going for a few seconds after I turned the car off.

S/C coolant leaked out of heat exchanger from hole caused by rock. So there was no coolant circulation through the SC system. Put water in it and circulated the water. Slowly leaking out still but takes a few minutes.

Anyway, went to drive home and the car is sputtering. I'm 35 minutes from home.

Could this have affected my engine? Hooked up my predator. IAT2 temps were fine. Engine coolant temp was around 190.

Perhaps the blower is shot and affecting the AF ratio hence the sputter? Or no?

I don't know much about engines. Tried calling some friends who would know but no one answered.

Btw, I drove 35 minutes to a meeting. Car drove fine. Car sat from noon until 3. Drove 10 minutes to gas station which is where I noticed the problem.

Car has been off now for a good 10 minutes. What should I do? Have it towed? Wait for it to cool down and try again? Something else?

EDIT: Car isn't starting now. Video...

[youtube_browser]HcF8QPSQ5EQ[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i wouldnt tow it just yet. let her cool a bit, then try again? how bad is it sputtering? also, how bad is the leak? did the leak just happen?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Engine will be fine unless you had previous issues with it. Your blower could be another story. Fix the leak then start her up and figure out where the screaching is exactly

vipergts281

Established Member
Car won't even start now. As of now I have a family member on their way to pick me up. Guess I'll leave the car until tomorrow.

To answer some questions...

Engine never gave me problems.

Wouldnt be surprised if the blower is done. Almost 150k on it. I never really took care of it with regular oil changes and such.

H/E was hit with a rock back in the summer. I just sealed the hole up as a temp fix but it held up fine. But something changed because now it is leaking. I have a spare HE at home so I can swap them.

Now sure how long it's been leaking for now. I used to check the fluid everyday but after a few weeks of it not leaking I stopped checking.

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
the car not starting tho, makes me think that its not your blower that is causing the problem. i am no mechanic, and i could be wrong. hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can/will respond soon. you could always take the outer/blower belt off (bypassing the supercharger) and try to start the car. i guess that could tell you if its the blower causing the issue, or not.

Blueline

Established Member
Try unplugging the FRPS. Its worth a shot, and see if it starts. Also check the vac line going to the FRPS and see if it smells like fuel. The reason I say this because after watching your video I got the feeling if you floored the gas pedal, turn the injectors off, it was on the verge of starting. Its worth a shot and wont cost you anything. Check the oil too to see if it smells like fuel.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Oh crap didn't notice it's not starting! I would try the above suggestions as that's what I would do. Take the blower belt off and see I you can spin the pulley by hand. Should spin smooth telling you that the supercharger rotors aren't seized with it possibly overheating.

Blueline

Established Member
How would running low on IC fluid make the supercharger overheat? And the screeching wouldnt continue a few seconds after the car shut off if it was the blower? If worst case the blower locked up, the car would still start. It would run like crap because it would be trying to suck air through the IC, non rotating supercharger etc. The belt would screech like a MOFO because it would be spinning on a locked up pulley, but would prob. still start. Unless maybe you had a pulley explode? That may continue to screech a few seconds after the car shut off if it continued to spin.. Either way good luck, hopefully its something minor.

vipergts281

Established Member
Thanks for the replies so far.

As of now I just left the car in a parking lot and got a ride home. I'm going up tomorrow to look into it some more.

Now that I have more time and I'm not on the crappy iPhone keyboard, some more info...

After I turned the car off after hearing the noise, filled the tank with water, I started it up again and drove it 50 feet or so to another part of the parking lot. Drove fine. Went into the gas station to get more water. Poured it in. Started it up. Started driving away onto a major road and that's when it drove like crap. Pulled over right away.

Let it cool off. Fired it up again and drove around the parking lot. Still drove bad. Shut it off. Disconnected the battery for 30 seconds. Hooked it back up. Thinking maybe it would reset something (worth a shot).

Won't start.

The fact that it doesn't start has me worried now. I don't see how a bad blower/overheating blower would cause it not to start. Thinking now that maybe the lack of coolant is irrelevant.

If it is the engine, wouldn't I have smelled something, noticed smoke, or something like that?

No engine light on. Temp gauge was normal (I know they are basically on/off gauges but I didn't see it go all the way up).

Checked the engine coolant temp and IAT2 temp and they were both normal.

I talked to a friend who told me to pull the plugs and see what they look like and to check the oil. So when I get up there tomorrow, I'll pull them and if they look fine, try to start it again. If they don't look fine, then obviously I'll have to figure out what is wrong.

First I'll take the blower belt off and see if the pulley turns.

Blueline

Established Member
I suggested it earlier, but I know what its like reading replies on your iphone lol, check the FRPS tomorrow.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
How would running low on IC fluid make the supercharger overheat? And the screeching wouldnt continue a few seconds after the car shut off if it was the blower? If worst case the blower locked up, the car would still start. It would run like crap because it would be trying to suck air through the IC, non rotating supercharger etc. The belt would screech like a MOFO because it would be spinning on a locked up pulley, but would prob. still start. Unless maybe you had a pulley explode? That may continue to screech a few seconds after the car shut off if it continued to spin.. Either way good luck, hopefully its something minor.

I'm saying check it because he mentioned not checking the blower oil or servicing it for awhile. Just to check and see how smoothly it spun. Not he fix for why it's not starting I know. Just checking this while he's at it.

Blueline

Established Member
I'm saying check it because he mentioned not checking the blower oil or servicing it for awhile. Just to check and see how smoothly it spun. Not he fix for why it's not starting I know. Just checking this while he's at it.

Oh Gotcha :beer:

Also If you have a handheld, check for any codes if you havent yet.

vipergts281

Established Member
Oh Gotcha :beer:

Also If you have a handheld, check for any codes if you havent yet.
Yeah, I checked it with my Predator. No error codes.

Btw, you said...

Try unplugging the FRPS. Its worth a shot, and see if it starts. Also check the vac line going to the FRPS and see if it smells like fuel.
Just to be sure, unplug it and then plug it back in THEN start it? Or unplug and then try to start the car without it?

And the FRPS is the little black box on the front of the driver side rail, correct?

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
First check the vac line and see if it smells like fuel. Also check the oil dipstick and see if the oil smells like fuel.

Cos

Established Member
First it looks like a dead battery. Since the gauges go out 100%.

:beer: I agree. Is the H/E coolant driven by an electric motor? What if that ran low and died. Also since it wont even turn over (it looks like all the lights go out) I am wondering if you just killed your battery.

vipergts281

Established Member
First it looks like a dead battery. Since the gauges go out 100%.

:beer: I agree. Is the H/E coolant driven by an electric motor? What if that ran low and died. Also since it wont even turn over (it looks like all the lights go out) I am wondering if you just killed your battery.
Coolant pump still works. I tested it.

And now that you mention it, you're right, the gauges don't budge.

But if it were a dead battery, how would the lights/radio work?

Battery was replaced in Jan. of this year. Could it go that quick? Only additional things I have are gauges on the pillar and ipod connected...which I unplugged when I turn the car off since I suspect that is what drained my battery the last time.

Either way, I have a jumper box (not sure if that is the correct term) fully charged ready to go for tomorrow when I get there. So I will be able to see if it is the battery or not.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Those gauges aren't going to move until the car starts. Boost obviously and oil press I don't think it moves until the cars is running in the cars. Eventhough there's oil press. The gauge takes a sec before it begins reading. If you look your rpm gauge moved while cranking it.

SVTDice

Established Member
Your IAC (Idle Air Control) Could be shot. Causing it not being able to idle. Check your MAF. That could be shot if its running poorly while driving...If I come up with any more idea's i'll throw them your way, But that's all I got at the moment. I'm sorry to hear man! :/

Users who are viewing this thread