Problems after installing Mishimoto radiator

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Got my car fired up with the new radiator yesterday and noticed that my cooling fan only comes on closer to 200 F now. Settings are 182 low speed, 186 high speed. What sensor does the fan use to determain when it should come on? I found it odd that it's coming on not when it's set. I reflashed my tune several times int attempt to fix this. Something's off. I eventually set my fan to come on at 170 so it would come on in a more reasonable fashion.

2nd issue:
I noticed even when the fan does come on it doesn't seem to cool as well as it used it. It was 80F last night and in some stop and go around the malls and stuff it was getting close to 220 and it was ten at night. Normally it'd be 195 or so.

I checked over flow reservoir and removed cross over tube plug and coolant is full in both places.
I did notice the fan sits a fair distance from the radiator fins on the mishimoto setup. Is that normal? seems like a bad design for cooling. On the driver's side it appears I can stick my fingers in between the radiator and the fan assembly (if I could reach down in there) and on passenger's side almost stick my fingers in.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I would try and close the gap up between the fan and the radiator with some foam insulation or something. It's pulling air in from the sides instead of across the radiator like it should be. The thermostat does not control the fan...the coolant temp sensor tells the computer when to turn the fan on. And you absolutely do not want the fan to come on at 154 degrees as stated above, ^^he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I would try and close the gap up between the fan and the radiator with some foam insulation or something. It's pulling air in from the sides instead of across the radiator like it should be.

Yeah exactly. Do you still have the stock radiator? How is the fan setup on there? I can't remember if it's right up against the radiator or not?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ugg how annoying. Can't anyone build a product correctly. OK guess I'll need to find a way to seal the sides of the fan.

Still need to figure out too why the temps are now off. You program the fan to come on at 180 but it comes on way later.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Malcolm,

I would just install this around the shroud edge. Something I have been planing to do myself.
Fairchild Industries PUSH-ON TRIM WEATHERSTRIPS FOR DOORS, TRUNKS, WINDOWS - JCWhitney

fai1360_1

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcom,

I would just install this around the shroud edge. Something I have been planing to do myself.
Fairchild Industries PUSH-ON TRIM WEATHERSTRIPS FOR DOORS, TRUNKS, WINDOWS - JCWhitney

fai1360_1

Yeah that looks like a plan. Sucks I'll have to tear it all apart again to do that. ahhhh.
I contacted Mishimoto support cause that's just crap quality. There's no reason to have their brackets misplace the fan so bad. They responded asking for pics so I sent them one. Be interesting to see what they think.

earico

Established Member
Yeah that looks like a plan. Sucks I'll have to tear it all apart again to do that. ahhhh.
I contacted Mishimoto support cause that's just crap quality. There's no reason to have their brackets misplace the fan so bad. They responded asking for pics so I sent them one. Be interesting to see what they think.

Hey, if you want to go this route then PM me and we can split a roll of it instead of us both buying one.

Dude, you are like the Cobra MacGyver around here!

Seriously, you have come up with some solid stuff. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. Just trying to think outside the box.

earico

Established Member
Fixed it today.

Before with 1/2" gap
IMAG1618.jpg

After with weather stripping installed
IMAG1627.jpg

IMAG1630.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That looks really good. Have you had a chance to drive the car yet and see how it cools now?

earico

Established Member
That looks really good. Have you had a chance to drive the car yet and see how it cools now?

Not yet. That won't happen til Monday or so. I can say that I know for sure its pulling more air across the radiator because it fixed my AC issue. My wife took the car out earlier while I was using her truck and my the ac wasn't cutting out like before. More pics and info in here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/772762-my-mishimoto-radiator-install.html

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Very cool. I saw that other thread last night. I'm going to order some of that and do the same thing on my fan.

Users who are viewing this thread