MGW's New Tunable Street and Track Rear Support Bracket

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
www.svtperformance.com/forums/front...unable-street-track-rear-support-bracket.html

One of the main reasons we here at SVTP love the Mustang so much is the ease with which we can tune the car to suit our individual tastes. MGW Shifters has tapped into that idea of tunability with its new shifter box rear support bracket design. We were recently invited to MGW’s manufacturing facilities in Augusta, GA to check out the updates they have made to their MT-82 shifter assemblies. (Click HERE for our past MGW MT-82 article.) The big news actually comes in the form of MGW’s newly designed rear support bracket. Not only does the new bracket help quell any unwanted NVH, but it is also tunable.

MGW came to this design from two directions. There has been a minority of customers who have noticed or complained of an increase in NVH when adding the MGW shifter to their MT-82s. This is due to the rear bracket design MGW originally used. In order to get maximum shifting performance and minimal shift linkage deflection MGW used soft, but fairly small, bushings for the shift box support pins to ride in. While this does make for great performance, the small diameter of the bushings means that there isn’t much rubber in the bracket to absorb unwanted NVH.

To solve this issue MGW went back to the drawing board to design a bracket that incorporates a much larger block of rubber as the bushing. The larger amount of rubber does a much better job of preventing NVH from being transmitted to the interior of the car. However, to make sure that owners have the ability to choose the level of performance you want MGW includes two rubber blocks of differing durometer. The 50 durometer block delivers as good, if not better, NVH quality of the stock shifter, while the 70 durometer block gives you a slightly more positive shift feel at the expense of a barely perceptible increase in NVH.

During our time at their facility we took the opportunity upgrade the existing MGW shifter in the SVTP 2012 GT, which was actually a prototype, to MGW’s latest design. We’ll be giving more in depth review of some of the updates MGW has made in the future, but for now we can say that the new rear support bracket design is outstanding. I have personally put about 500 miles on the SVTP GT with the new bracket and the 70 durometer installed. I have never missed a shift or had any issue getting the car into gear. I’m usually very perceptive when it comes to NVH, I’ve taken a dash apart to fix a tiny rattle before, but I had a hard time detecting any much of a difference in NVH between a stock shifter and this new MGW setup. Even with the 70 durometer block installed there is a noticeable drop in NVH when compared to the old bracket design without any loss in performance. Overall, I think it’s a great upgrade to an already awesome product. Pricing on the bracket is not finalized yet, but you can contact MGW for the latest details. You guys really owe it to yourselves to check it out.

MGW includes a small tube of RTV gasket maker that is to be applied to the bracket mounting surfaces to further help reduce NVH.

MGW_New_Rear_Bracket_001.jpg

Here you can see how the shift box support pins ride inside the rubber bushing of the support bracket.

MGW_New_Rear_Bracket_002.jpg

With the more substantial block of rubber in the new bracket unwanted NVH is virtually eliminated.

MGW_New_Rear_Bracket_003.jpg

The 70 durometer block being used in the SVTP GT feels great and is very quiet.

MGW_New_Rear_Bracket_004.jpg

MGW includes both 50 and 70 durometer bushing blocks so you can choose the level of performance that best suits you.

MGW_New_Rear_Bracket_005.jpg

The bushings can be switched out by removing this stainless steel backing plate. As with all MGW products, this bracket is made entirely of premium materials such as stainless steel and billet aluminum.

MGW_New_Rear_Bracket_006.jpg

For all the details on MGW's new rear support bracket for their linkage style Mustang shifters check out this video we put together of George@MGW explaining his latest design.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tKoRWiHliJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Special Thanks To:

MGW Shifters

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
ONCE AGAIN, George @ MGW coming through with top notch parts as well as top notch service!

jdcobra

Established Member
I think this may have just sold me on an mgw shifter since I didn't want to get one because of excessive nvh stories I've heard from others. Nice prodcut indeed!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think this may have just sold me on an mgw shifter since I didn't want to get one because of excessive nvh stories I've heard from others. Nice prodcut indeed!

Honestly, I think those who were complaining of problems before were either overly sensitive or exaggerating. I've never noticed an NVH problem in any of the MGW equipped cars I have driven.

jdcobra

Established Member
Honestly, I think those who were complaining of problems before were either overly sensitive or exaggerating. I've never noticed an NVH problem in any of the MGW equipped cars I have driven.

But that was with use of the dynamat correct? I wish there was someone around my area who had an mgw shifter that I could possibly try out before buying one just to see.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
But that was with use of the dynamat correct? I wish there was someone around my area who had an mgw shifter that I could possibly try out before buying one just to see.

That piece of Dynamat in the pic came with the original MGW shifter that was installed in the car. MGW included a lot of sound deadening material.

jdcobra

Established Member
Yea I saw that. I like how they add all the necessary items needed for a simple install. Looked at their website and saw nothing about the new bracket so I'll give em a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yea I saw that. I like how they add all the necessary items needed for a simple and easy install. Looked at their website and saw nothing about the new bracket so I'll give em a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Yeah, they haven't updated their site yet. Call and ask for George. Remember to tell them that you heard about it on SVTP.:beer:

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
Sweetness. I've had MGW's shifter in my car for almost a year now and love it. This upgrade is definitely something I'd like to get my mittens on

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Nevermind...............GUess it's time for me to cough up some cash for an MGW!!!

Last edited:

jdcobra

Established Member
Svtp group buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha I'd be down for it but Sid has a point. They only recently caught up with production last time I had talked to them but we will see what they say, I'm about to call em.

Users who are viewing this thread