Terminator HID install "how to"

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Hooking up the HID conversion kit is pretty straight forward, so I'm really not going to go over connections, routing, etc, but when I installed mine I noticed that finding a place to mount the ballasts was a huge pain. If I simply had some pictures of easy mounting points the install would have take A LOT less time. Honestly, if you have everything ready to go, it should only take you about an hour for both top and bottom.

Things you will need:
- Flathead screwdriver
- alcohol
- scotch brite pad
- double sided tape
- zip ties
- 8mm and 10mm sockets with a long extension and wobbler

For the headlights, leave the car on the ground. There is really no need to raise it up yet.

Drivers side:
-remove headlight and run the wires through back of the "light socket" to in front of the battery and install in the new HID light bulb into the light housing.
-You really can't clean too well in front of the battery, so I just did the best that I could and put some double sided tape on the back of the ballast. Clean with a scotch brite pad and alcohol. I also installed the bracket so that I would have a place to attach a zip tie.
-slide the ballast through the light hole and attach it using the zip tie and double sided tape. The tape is what is holding it on, but I used a zip tie just in case the tape lets go. Pretty straight forward.

Should look like this when done. Nice and snug, with little/no movement.
BatteryMount.jpg

Passenger side:
-once again, remove the headlight and rout the wires.
-I put the ballast under my JLT RAI, and cleaned off the mounting points once again with the pad and alcohol.

note: make sure that the clips are put in the ballast correctly. Make sure the red wire goes to the positive. It is easy to put in backward if you are in a hurry.
Intakemount.jpg

All hidden under the JLT
Hidden.jpg

Fog lights were WAY more of a pain as there was really no place to mount them.

-put the car up on some ramps/jacks and run all your wires,

Drivers side:
-there is a small bolt right inside the hole next to your fog lights that I used to mount the ballast on. Use an 8mm socket with a wobbler extension as it is slightly off to the left and down from the hole.
Fog.jpg

InnerFog.jpg

Passenger side:
-slide under the car on your back right under the passenger side fog light and above you will be a cylindrical piece with a harness and clip going into it.
-put a 90 degree bend in your ballast mounting bracket (1).
-loosen up the 10mm bolt (2), and slide ballast under the plate the bolt is holding on. Put it at an angle so you can get as much under it as possible and tighten up.
Under90.jpg

Under.jpg

Under2.jpg

Ballast should be vertical with the clips hanging down.

I zip tied all the fog light wires up tight to make sure that they didn't show from the bottom and then dropped my car.

Test the lights to make sure they all work and then enjoy :dancenana:
cobra014b.jpg

cobra020b.jpg

cobra021b.jpg

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
Nice write up! Thanks!...That's a big help for those that don't know where to mount the ballasts. I was thinking about doing something like this but already put mine in a lil while ago. I'll post up some pics of my mounting points too! Where did you get your HID's from?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Nice write up! Thanks!...That's a big help for those that don't know where to mount the ballasts. I was thinking about doing something like this but already put mine in a lil while ago. I'll post up some pics of my mounting points too! Where did you get your HID's from?

Got them from the "HID guy"....

VincodeY

Established Member
post a short vid or you inside the car and some outside shots with the lights. It would to know how the light output is.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Who's that?

This guy I found here in San Diego on Craigslist. Great guy to deal with. His site is HIDGuy.net Just let him know the guy with the Torch Red Cobra told you to call....

post a short vid or you inside the car and some outside shots with the lights. It would to know how the light output is.

Last picture is of me inside the car. The light output is amazing. I wish I had done it earlier. I'm sold on HID's now. I will never own another car without them.

Last edited:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
This guy I found here in San Diego on Craigslist. Great guy to deal with. His site is HIDGuy.net Just let him know the guy with the Torch Red Cobra told you to call....

Last picture is of me inside the car. The light output is amazing. I wish I had done it earlier. I'm sold on HID's now. I will never own another car without them.

so did you buy the 9007 headlights and the 9004 foglights?

also, were they plug and play?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
so did you buy the 9007 headlights and the 9004 foglights?

also, were they plug and play?

9007 on the headlights and 9005 on the fogs. Yes, they were completely plug and play.

Aslo, what is the output on the lights?

good question. I will look at the box tomorrow and see what it says.

edit: If you look in picture of inside the fog light, it looks like the ballast says 35W

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
nice write up....considering i lost a fog light ballast last week on a cruise...i'll be making sure to double check all the ballasts when I install the replacement, so thanks for the tips

on a side note I thought the fog size was 893 for our cars? Is 9005 the same?

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
nice write up....considering i lost a fog light ballast last week on a cruise...i'll be making sure to double check all the ballasts when I install the replacement, so thanks for the tips

on a side note I thought the fog size was 893 for our cars? Is 9005 the same?

not sure to be honest....I just used what he gave me when I ordered. The number was 9005 on the bulb.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
When I installed mine I had to find a place to mount the 4 ballasts. There are 2 for the headlights and 2 for the fogs. I mounted them on both sides of the inner area of the radiator. You know the two plastic pieces used to funnel air into the radiator. If you look into your grill area and look left or right there is two plastic flaps. I got the drill out and made a hole in both sides. then took the mounting brackets that come with the kit and put one facing up and one facing down. I slid the ballasts into the brackets, then put the fog ballast one facing down and the one for the lights facing up. I used a plastic interior push pin, similar to the ones that hold the hood blanket in and pushed it into the plastic pieces that are in the inner grill area. So it is clean mounting area, you cant see it from the front of the car, there are no wires running all over the place. All the wires tucked under the plastic radiator cover. It all looks factory. No double sided tape or ballasts to worry about clogging up your engine bay. The directions told me to mount them to the fuse box top with double sided tape, not very clean install I dont think. So i came up with this.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
When I installed mine I had to find a place to mount the 4 ballasts. There are 2 for the headlights and 2 for the fogs. I mounted them on both sides of the inner area of the radiator. You know the two plastic pieces used to funnel air into the radiator. If you look into your grill area and look left or right there is two plastic flaps. I got the drill out and made a hole in both sides. then took the mounting brackets that come with the kit and put one facing up and one facing down. I slid the ballasts into the brackets, then put the fog ballast one facing down and the one for the lights facing up. I used a plastic interior push pin, similar to the ones that hold the hood blanket in and pushed it into the plastic pieces that are in the inner grill area. So it is clean mounting area, you cant see it from the front of the car, there are no wires running all over the place. All the wires tucked under the plastic radiator cover. It all looks factory. No double sided tape or ballasts to worry about clogging up your engine bay. The directions told me to mount them to the fuse box top with double sided tape, not very clean install I dont think. So i came up with this.

good information....pictures?

forgot to ask,

do these have low beam and high beam?

sadly, no...just low. I have never used my highs on anything in any of my cars, so I decided it didn't matter to me.

chitowncobra

Established Member
Hooking up the HID conversion kit is pretty straight forward, so I'm really not going to go over connections, routing, etc, but when I installed mine I noticed that finding a place to mount the ballasts was a huge pain. If I simply had some pictures of easy mounting points the install would have take A LOT less time. Honestly, if you have everything ready to go, it should only take you about an hour for both top and bottom.

Things you will need:
- Flathead screwdriver
- scotch brite pad
- alcohol
- double sided tape
- zip ties
- 8mm and 10mm sockets with a long extension and wobbler
- beer of choice (in my case, stella)

For the headlights, leave the car on the ground. There is really no need to raise it up yet.

Drivers side:
-remove headlight and run the wires through back of the "light socket" to in front of the battery and install in the new HID light bulb into the light housing.
-You really can't clean too well in front of the battery, so I just did the best that I could and put some double sided tape on the back of the ballast. Clean with a scotch brite pad and alcohol. I also installed the bracket so that I would have a place to attach a zip tie.
-slide the ballast through the light hole and attach it using the zip tie and double sided tape. The tape is what is holding it on, but I used a zip tie just in case the tape lets go. Pretty straight forward.

Should look like this when done. Nice and snug, with little/no movement.
BatteryMount.jpg

Passenger side:
-once again, remove the headlight and rout the wires.
-I put the ballast under my JLT RAI, and cleaned off the mounting points once again with the pad and alcohol.

note: make sure that the clips are put in the ballast correctly. Make sure the red wire goes to the positive. It is easy to put in backward if you are in a hurry.
Intakemount.jpg

All hidden under the JLT
Hidden.jpg

Fog lights were WAY more of a pain as there was really no place to mount them.

-put the car up on some ramps/jacks and run all your wires,

Drivers side:
-there is a small bolt right inside the hole next to your fog lights that I used to mount the ballast on. Use an 8mm socket with a wobbler extension as it is slightly off to the left and down from the hole.
Fog.jpg

InnerFog.jpg

Passenger side:
-slide under the car on your back right under the passenger side fog light and above you will be a cylindrical piece with a harness and clip going into it.
-put a 90 degree bend in your ballast mounting bracket (1).
-loosen up the 10mm bolt (2), and slide ballast under the plate the bolt is holding on. Put it at an angle so you can get as much under it as possible and tighten up.
Under90.jpg

Under.jpg

Under2.jpg

Ballast should be vertical with the clips hanging down.

I zip tied all the fog light wires up tight to make sure that they didn't show from the bottom and then dropped my car.

Test the lights to make sure they all work and then enjoy :dancenana:
cobra014b.jpg

cobra020b.jpg

cobra021b.jpg
very nice thankyou!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread