How To: Eliminate Boost Drop Off (eliminate boost solenoid)

metaman

Established Member
While doing research through the forums about the boost bypass actuator I discovered some things that are important for terminator owners. It has been debated over and over about the boost bypass modification that prevents the boost bypass actuator from bleeding off extra air when not in boost. I actually drove around with the modification done for 4 years thinking the whole time that it was not causing any performance issues.

I recently found out through reading through threads about this, that disabling the boost bypass actuator actually causes the blower to build up to much heat when not in boost. Apparently when not in boost the Eaton blower, especially with a pulley, moves more air than the engine can take at low throttle rpm. The result is air turbulence called cavitation which causes friction and heat. The improper method for doing the boost bypass was very popular when these cars first came out. If you bought your car used there is a chance that someone did the mod and you don't know it. To find out you can review the RPM outlet method of doing this mod HERE

So a while back I switched the two vacume lines back so that the actuator was functional again. The result was that the air intake temps dropped about 20 degrees when just driving around not in boost. However, the boost bypass solenoid still caused the boost bypass actuator to bleed off boost at wide open throttle. This happens even if the solenoid is disabled in the tune! The car did not pull as good as it did before I reversed the boost bypass mod. I wanted the boost back, but I did not want the high intake temps that go along with disabling the actuator.

I kept on reading old threads and came across a post by RWTD the tuner. He mentioned a rerouting of the vacume lines that he does that prevents boost bleed off at wide open throttle, while at the same time enabling the boost bypass actuator to continue to function while not in boost. That thread can be found HERE.

My original post about this was in the engine tuning section. I did the mod three different ways in that thread. I am only going to show the final method for doing this mod that I showed in the original thread in this How To post. If you wish to see the original thread you can view it HERE

For reference this mod is to eliminate the boost solenoid from being able to open the boost bypass actuator when in boost only. Where as the old "Boost Bypass Mod" Disabled the boost bypass actuator entirely. So this mod I am showing accomplishes what the original mod was supposed to without any of the negative side effects. Here is the area of the engine bay in question here.

FRPS.jpg

For those of you not familiar with how the whole system is supposed to work here is my best explanation. The item labled "Boost Dump Valve" is connected to a little round valve on the bottom of the blower post rotor. When vacuum is applied to the top fitting on this actuator, the metal rod that is attached to the bottom of it pulls up which opens the little bypass valve in the blower. It is critical that this works because if it does not, your blower will heat up your intake charge very quickly even when driving around out of boost.

From the factory the vacuum applied to the top fitting on this "Boost Dump Valve" is regulated by the item labeled "Boost Dump Solenoid". This is not the way you want it hooked up if you are running above stock levels of boost. If you are running any kind of boost above stock you need to change where the boost actuator gets it vacuum from when not in boost.

There are two main areas on the back of the supercharger next to the plenum where vacuum lines are tied into. The top port in the above picture is where the "Boost Dump Solenoid" is connected to. This vacuum port only ever sees vacuum and never boost because it is above the rotors inside the blower.

vacumeeliminationprepics002.jpg

The bottom port on the back off the supercharger in the below picture has two lines comming off of it. These two lines see both vacuum and boost because they are below the rotors of the supercharger. The red line on the right connects to the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. The red line on the left goes to the factory boost gauge. What we want to do is T into the line on the right and connects to the FRPS (fuel rail pressure sensor).

vacumeeliminationprepics003.jpg

STEP 1:

Take a nice sharp razor blade and slice through all of the tape that is wrapped around the 3/4" conduit that hides all of the vacuum lines, and remove the conduit exposing all of the vacuum lines. No Pics off this.

STEP 2:

Cut the top vacuum line on the top port on the back of the blower and cap it. MAKE SURE THIS IS THE ONE CONNECTED TO THE BOOST SOLENOID ON YOUR CAR. I am not sure if it is all ways the same. You can get vacuum caps like this from any auto parts store.

postvacuumremoval005.jpg

The line you are cutting and capping should lead to the line labled #1 in this picture.

vacumeeliminationprepics001.jpg

STEP: 3

Now just to be clear, we are going to remove all of the lines connected to the boost actuator from the car entirely. If you ever think you might want to return it back to stock (no reason to) then don't remove them. Just leave them in place and cap where they where attached to. Here is a pic of where the lines that you are going to remove from the car are attached to.

EditedFinishedBoostBypass.jpg

The thick line that comes off of the lower port on the "Boost Dump Solenoid" couples into a hard line that routes around the back of the blower and ends up dead ending at this canister thing.

vacumeeliminationprepics004.jpg

Here is what the mess looks like after you have removed it from the car.

postvacuumremoval001.jpg

STEP 4:

Now you are going to remove the line that goes from the lower port on the "Boost Dump Valve". Then cap where it attached on the intake tube. This line can be left in place. However, it just gets in the way when ever you pull the intake pipe out why not remove it? Also the lower port on the boost dump valve (boost bypass actuator) can be vented to atmosphere now. This does not leave the vacuum system open to atmosphere because the diaphram inside the boost dump valve is air tight.

Before

boostbypassrevisions009.jpg

After

boostbypassrevisions015.jpg

STEP 5:

For this step you will need some vacuum couplers and a vacuum T fitting from the auto parts store, You can also reuse some of the ones you just removed from the car if you want to. I can't remember how many of which kind I bought, it should not be to hard to figure out.

Now we are going to tap into that line that goes from the lower vacuum port on the blower to the FRPS (fuel rail pressure sensor). I think the best way to do this is just to find a spot on this line that is about 1" left of lined up with the top port on the boost dump valve like this.

VacuumModVersion3002.jpg

STEP 6:

Now you are going to steal some of the hard line you removed from the car and some of the fittings you removed from the car and make a new hard line that goes to the top port on the actuator. In order to use the hardline without the nipples molded into the ends of it you are going to have to go and get a zip tie gun from Harbor Freight. They are like 9 bucks. These zip tie guns get the zip ties so tight that there is no way for a leak or the line popping out under boost.

boostbypassrevisions001.jpg

VacuumModVersion3003.jpg

STEP 7

Salvage some more off that vacuum line small ID conduit and put a couple of sections on the lines that go to the EGR solenoid (red and green lines). Also zip tie the hard lines together, NOT USING THE GUN. The gun would make them way to tight, and all you want to do is make them tidy not crush them.

VacuumModVersion3005.jpg

Step 8

Now you are going to install some 1/2" conduit where the 3/4" conduit used to be. Then you will need to steal one small section of 3/4" conduit and place that over where you T'd into the line. I cut a small square out of this peice of conduit dead center at the seem so that it would fit over it nicely without a gap.

VacuumModVersion3009.jpg

Now you are finished, all that is left to do now is go out and feel how your car has picked up throttle response and power up top!

VacuumModVersion3011.jpg

Last edited:

Vinchenzo51

Established Member
Did mine tonight, everything came out awesome, i ran everything along the injector harness on mine, now you can hardly notice it! Good way to clean everything up on that side of the blower if nothing else.

Last edited:

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Awesome write up..... Part of this mod was originally accomplished via the ECM when a custom tune was done by disabling the solenoid. When the solenoid is disabled is vacumn and boost still comming through theoriginal line going to the top of the actuator to allow it to work or is it just always closed.

When you completely eliminate the solenoid by routing vacum directly to the actuator as you are doing this allows for boost to be bled off when not in boost vacumn (valve open) and closed when under boost, correct.

Last edited:

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
have mine turned off in tune
did above mod as described and iat2's would not come down while cruising, after a couple blasts iat2's shot to 170 and stayed there. during an evening just cruising around the highway iat2's would only climb and climb to 150 easy. reset everything back to stock configuration, bypass still disabled in tune and iat2's returned to normal cruise temp and after some good blasts only reached 160degrees and came down quickly while cruising afterwards, i must have missed something somewhere, i'll recheck to see if i did it correctly
ok figured it out, actually my boost bypass valve is connected from the map sensor, which is also where my auxillary boost pressure gauge reads boost from, via a kenne bell boost valve, this valve sees vacuum and boost, so when i bypass the solenoid, i hook up vacuum/boost hose from map to frps to top of diaphram on boost bypass valve along with it also disabled in my tune, this is when my iat2's climb out of control, i capped boost/vacuum hose from map sensor and reconnected hoses to stock configuration and iat2's returned to normal. i beleive one or the other is good but not both, turned off in tune and mod desrcibed above

the rpm poo outlet mod is a dangerous one, you must be able to bleed off boost when not wot, in the event of detonation and you let off the gas but not able to bleed off boost your motor is gonna continue to detonate cause its still getting boost pressure and more than less damage to your motor will follow, not a good thing

Last edited:

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
So if the solenoid is disabled in the tune the accuator is still seeing vacumn I am assuming and not boost via the preboost line going to it from the top of the blower. The accuator when the car is not running (no vacumn) has the plunger all the way down which is closed as it would be under boost. When cruising there is vacumn so the plunger should pull up and open the valve. If you eliminated the solenoid lines completely and ran a direct line as suggested the only difference is you are now putting boost pressure to the accuator when under boost. It there an advantage with the accuator in having boost on the line in keeping the valve closed better?

Last edited:

Vinchenzo51

Established Member
this seems to work fine for me so far, im going to run the car a little harder tomorrow to see how it feels.

basically, it accomplishes the same thing as the regular "boost bypass" mod but without the drawbacks.

like he said in his "how to" when your not bleeding off the boost produced while idling or driving not under boost, your trying to force more air into the motor then the motor needs and the forced air gets pushed back into the blower. He used the perfect term for this, cavitation, and this can cause heat and can hurt your blower.

so far I havn't noticed any drawbacks from this and next week im going for a dyno run for fun (my local tuner lets me make a pull whenever i want) so i'm going to see what my temps look like and what my a/f looks like. just to kind of make sure everything is still in good order.

i'll post back after I get my dyno results to see if this made any negative changes. so far so good though

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
metaman,
the picture quality and your instructions are excellent.
thanks for your great illustrations and very clear and discriptive instructions.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Did your original version today and noticed that boost seems to come on quicker with less delay. It does seem to hit harder as well... have not really done a full pull yet to see if it is better up top but I don't expect it to add much boost as I was seeing as high as 13lbs before so I was not having boost drop of problems. That is about the max for a 2.93 upper. I was having a delay between 1-2 shift which I am hoping this may help. Took about 5 minutes to do so it was definitely worth seeing if it made a difference. Looks like it did help. Thanks

metaman

Established Member
So if the solenoid is disabled in the tune the accuator is still seeing vacumn I am assuming and not boost via the preboost line going to it from the top of the blower. The accuator when the car is not running (no vacumn) has the plunger all the way down which is closed as it would be under boost. When cruising there is vacumn so the plunger should pull up and open the valve. If you eliminated the solenoid lines completely and ran a direct line as suggested the only difference is you are now putting boost pressure to the accuator when under boost. It there an advantage with the accuator in having boost on the line in keeping the valve closed better?

Here is the information that I got from a post by RWTD in the thread that you can link to from the original posts opening paragraphs. I am just Joe Shadetree going off of the instructions of an expert here.

Quote from RWTD
Good point. The factory bypass vacuum setup is not good for high boost, as it has pre-boost vacuum lines going to it. Trey, you need to re-route what you have from the factory. Route the boost gauge / FRPS port to the top port on the bypass and leave the lower open to atmosphere. This will prevent the bypass from opening under high boost. This is how both KB and Whipple does it, and trust me, it does and will work.

Trey, there's two ports on the factory bypass valve, just like Whipple has. Look in the picture that Allen (broke7) put up above.

#1: Cap BOTH factory lines going to the boost bypass.
#2: Take the same line that goes to the FRPS, which also goes to your factory boost gauge, and "T" into it, then run to the top port on the boost bypass, and leave the bottom port open to atmosphere.

You're done!

P.s. I believe the factory line going to the bottom port on the bypass valve goes over to the factory inlet tube pre-TB. For neatness, you can just pull this completely out and cap the nipple on the inlet tube, or just leave it there in case you want to put it back to the factory method later on.

metaman

Established Member
have mine turned off in tune
did above mod as described and iat2's would not come down while cruising, after a couple blasts iat2's shot to 170 and stayed there. during an evening just cruising around the highway iat2's would only climb and climb to 150 easy. reset everything back to stock configuration, bypass still disabled in tune and iat2's returned to normal cruise temp and after some good blasts only reached 160degrees and came down quickly while cruising afterwards, i must have missed something somewhere, i'll recheck to see if i did it correctly
ok figured it out, actually my boost bypass valve is connected from the map sensor, which is also where my auxillary boost pressure gauge reads boost from, via a kenne bell boost valve, this valve sees vacuum and boost, so when i bypass the solenoid, i hook up vacuum/boost hose from map to frps to top of diaphram on boost bypass valve along with it also disabled in my tune, this is when my iat2's climb out of control, i capped boost/vacuum hose from map sensor and reconnected hoses to stock configuration and iat2's returned to normal. i beleive one or the other is good but not both, turned off in tune and mod desrcibed above

the rpm poo outlet mod is a dangerous one, you must be able to bleed off boost when not wot, in the event of detonation and you let off the gas but not able to bleed off boost your motor is gonna continue to detonate cause its still getting boost pressure and more than less damage to your motor will follow, not a good thing

If you hook up the bypass directly to the post boost vacuum port on the blower you should not have this issue. My car sees IAT's identical to when it was hooked up to the solenoid when cruising. The whole idea is to completely take the solenoid out off the picture. So it should not matter if it is turned off in the tune or not. The results should be the same. The only way that you would have the issues you described is if you are not seeing vacuum from the line you connected to the top port on the bypass valve. Hook a vacuum gauge up to the line you pulled. You should have full vacuum sucking through it at idle. If not then figure out where you hooked into, because it was the wrong place.

The only reason the solenoid was designed into the system was so that the computer could pull boost if you got into a extreme high IAT's. It worked perfect at 8lbs of boost. However, the boost dump solenoid was not designed work at higher boost levels.

metaman

Established Member
Awesome write up..... Part of this mod was originally accomplished via the ECM when a custom tune was done by disabling the solenoid. When the solenoid is disabled is vacumn and boost still comming through theoriginal line going to the top of the actuator to allow it to work or is it just always closed.

When you completely eliminate the solenoid by routing vacum directly to the actuator as you are doing this allows for boost to be bled off when not in boost vacumn (valve open) and closed when under boost, correct.

Yes, for some reason the boost solenoid allows vacuum to be applied to the top port on the bypass actuator even if the solenoid is disabled.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I have had several days to drive the car now and I can say that without a doubt the car gets into boost much more quickly and with much less pedal... this makes the car more linear in it's delivery of power as with just small amounts of accelerator you will have a few pounds of boost come on. I like it but it does have the car be "in boost" much more, even if only at low levels. Have not checked gas mileage around town but it looks like I am using more fuel than before. Probably will have to adjust driving style a bit... this is probably the real issue. Because of boost coming on faster have you seen an adverse effect on gas mileage?

metaman

Established Member
I have had several days to drive the car now and I can say that without a doubt the car gets into boost much more quickly and with much less pedal... this makes the car more linear in it's delivery of power as with just small amounts of accelerator you will have a few pounds of boost come on. I like it but it does have the car be "in boost" much more, even if only at low levels. Have not checked gas mileage around town but it looks like I am using more fuel than before. Probably will have to adjust driving style a bit... this is probably the real issue. Because of boost coming on faster have you seen an adverse effect on gas mileage?

Not really because I use less pedal to achieve the same result as before. If I used the same amount of pedal as before I would use more gas.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Observation and Question... I have an intercooler coolant temp gauge in my car and have noticed that the coolant heats up in situations when I am not in boost which it did not really do before.

This tells me that the valve must be closing when I am not in boost but under load like when going up a long hill for instance. Hooked up the stock way it is not as responsive which I don't like but it appears the trade off may be the valve closing when the car is not in a boost situation but under load.

Have you done any IAT datalogging to look at higher load but no boost to see if the IAT's are going up quicker due to the closed valve.

Not that this is a big deal just tryinig to cofirm what I am seeing.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I did this last night took 15 minutes to take it all apart tonight I will finish the job after I get the parts. I hope this drops my iat's when cruising.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
If you looked at my post above yours I hate to say it but you will not see cooler temps just driving around in some cases as the valve will close in situations where you are not really in boost but under load. When cruising in low load situations the valve will be fully open and it will run cool... on long hills or if you accelerate but do not go into boost you will see temps rise as I am sure the valve is closing in those situations as I am seeing my coolant temp rise. I am not able to datalog with my SCT presently so I am using the temp gauge and I see it rising in these situations. It is a good mod and you will see boost quicker using the vacumn line identified in the writeup, I really like this part. The vacumn line that is used in stock form is from the top of the blower, the writeup uses the bottom line... which throws boost at the accuator when in boost so it closes better. It appears though under load but no boost vacumn from this line drops off more quickly allowing it to close sooner.... causing more heat in these no boost load situations from what I can see.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I finished the mod last night very simple install. I would not go by the temp gauge that is for coolant temp not air temp. I have an aeroforce gauge and it reads iat 1/2 temps I will see if mine drop at all and report back. The norm is iat2 is 35 to 40 degrees above iat1 I would like to see if this mod changes that at all. If it does not then I can not see why this needs to be done, ok it causes cavitation but if it does not lower temps or give me more power whats the use. I really don't need boost coming in any sooner than it does now WOT thats when I want boost not cruising around.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I finished the mod last night very simple install. I would not go by the temp gauge that is for coolant temp not air temp. I have an aeroforce gauge and it reads iat 1/2 temps I will see if mine drop at all and report back. The norm is iat2 is 35 to 40 degrees above iat1 I would like to see if this mod changes that at all. If it does not then I can not see why this needs to be done, ok it causes cavitation but if it does not lower temps or give me more power whats the use. I really don't need boost coming in any sooner than it does now WOT thats when I want boost not cruising around.

My coolant temp gauge is for the intercooler fluid temp not engine coolant temp so it is reading heat produced by the blower. I should have been more clear on what the gauge was reading. I am really interested to see what your Aeroforce shows... by any chance do you have any IAT's before you did the mod for comparison purposes. Again it will work great with no additional heat on the flat but under load or a long hill with no boost is where I am seeing it. If you could check that it would be great. Thanks.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I never datalogged but I ususally drive around with the iat1/2 showing on the gauge like I said there is about a 35-40 degree difference from iat1 and iat 2 at almost any outside temp. Meaning if it is 60* out then my iat 2 is around 100 this of course is after the motor and blower have reached there highest cruising temp. This has not changed even with adding a ported blower. I hear how the ported blower lowers iat's 25* yeah well I didn't see any thing. It cools back down after boosted runs quicker but does not actually lower iat2 temps. mine are still 35-40 degrees higher. I am driving her today I have to meet my buddy his car is getting photographed for 5.0 magazine and his back is all messed up so I have to drive his car. Poor me I have to drive a 680hp KB cobra feel my pain. I will post up if I see any difference tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread