How To Install An SLP Line Lock

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
1. Begin by Disconnecting the Ground Cable on your battery, its also easier if you remover the battery completely

2. The SLP instructions dont say this but removing the drivers side Coil Cover Gives you more clearance to do things

IMG_0929.jpg

3. Remove the Front and Rear Master Cylinder Nuts, The top bolt is a Stud, so a simple open end wrench will do, the bottom nut is more difficult because it has a hex on the back side, I used a Long extension from the front while a friend used a wrench to hold the back Screw from turning, There is also a sensor that must be disconnected from the MC

4. Remove both brake lines from the bottom of the Mater Cylinder, Be cautious as brake fluid will begin to leak, remove the master cylinder and lay it on the ground upside down to prevent fluid from leaking out

IMG_0931.jpg

5. Next Remove the Rear Brake line from the Proportioning valve, In the picture it is the smaller one closest to the firewall

IMG_0933.jpg

6. Next Assemble the Line Lock According to this picture using Teflon Sealing tape

IMG_0934.jpg

7. Next is the difficult Part, Thread the line lock into the Proportioning Valve and and measure where to drill the holes for the Bolts that will hold the solenoid to the Fenderwell, sometimes the line might not line up with the PV so I loosened the bolt holding the PV so I could have some play to line up the PV with the LL. After you Make your marks, Remove your Drivers side Wheel and drill the holes with a 1/4 inch drill bit.

IMG_0942.jpg

8. Once your Holes are drilled , Mount the LL and line up the New brake line so that it goes where the original line into the MC did.

IMG_0946.jpg

9. Next Grab the Fused side of the Harness for the LL, remove this bolt on the fuse box and place the ring terminal onto the stud, then retighten up the bolt, attach the other end of the lead to one of the Prongs on the Solenoid

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

10. Heres a tricky Part, Make a cut into the rubber grommet that allows the wiring harness to pass through the firewall into the drivers compartment, I stuck a long extension through this cut, taped the activation switch wire to it and pulled it back out

IMG_0957.jpg

11. Once the Wire is pulled, Plug it into the second prong on the actual Line Lock.

Here you can see them both plugged in

IMG_0964.jpg

12. Next Drill A 3/8 Hole where you would like the activation switch to go, I did mine on the shift bezel next to the lighter port, run the other wire to a ground under the dash (anywhere metal really)

13. Next Re-attach the Brake Lines to the Master Cylinder , Once their both attached, slide the MC back into Place and Tighten it

14. Now Bleed the Brakes, and the Master Cylinder, The master cylinder is extremely important to bleed and is bled the same way the brakes are using the bleeder valves on its sides

IMG_0967.jpg

15. Once everything is Bled, Put the coil cover back on, The battery back in and hook up the positive then the negative cables.

16. Key the car on, flip the switch, if everything works you should hear a small click from the Line Locks Solenoid

17. Take the car out, make sure the brakes work correctly, the give the Line Lock a Trial by Fire :burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Your Done!

IMG_0968.jpg

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Great picture write up! The only thing I would maybe suggest adding is the steps needed to bleed the brakes. A lot of people have never done it before.

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
I can give instructions but they would be a lot better with pics, to take pics means that I would have to re do the brakes, which is something I wouldnt want to do, but if someone wants me to give them the best way to bleed, id gladly do it!

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
Thanks, As soon as I saw how CRAPPY the slp instructions were, I decided I would do All of us Terminator owners a favor and make some decent ones :)

I wish I would have had this ready in time for the contest :(

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
This will work for a Mach 1 correct? If you could do a quick written write-up on bleeding the Master Cylinder and for people who aren't sure of bleeding the regular brakes, a write-up on that as well. Also, when you have the Master Cylinder out and removed from the brake lines, will the brake fluid spill out from the bottom holes? Would you just have to quickly flip it over onto its top to stop it? Should you empty the Master Cylinder while its flipped over that way it doesn't spill out again while your re attaching it to the brake lines? Thanks,

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Also, I heard of someone running the activation switch to the cruise control "OFF" button. When they hold down the "OFF" button which would engage the line-lock and when released, it would disengage the line lock. Ill have to do more research on that, but I think that would be sweet and stealthy. I cant stand having wires and random things all over the place.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for doing this...I have had horror stories about the difficulty of bleeding the Master Cyliner. I know several Terminator owners that have had to take their car to the dealer to get them to pump all the air out with a machine.
I need to get some motivation and do this mod as I enjoy taking my car to the track and have a little difficulty doing a burnout at times. Maybe the new clutch will help...

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
05-03-2008 #27 (permalink)
jeostang
Made Member

View My Profile!

S197 Member

Laurel Maryland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troon2004
hey jeostang- I'm just curious how/where you wired the SPDT to isolate the cruise function from the line lock activation function if you used the same button (i.e., the off button) ?

The reason I ask is because I might consider moving my line lock to the steering wheel from where it is now if I had the proper wiring for it and was certain I wasn't going to blow fuses like the other guy did.

I just did this 2 weeks ago, so I think its still fresh in my mind.

I accessed the off button wire behind the passenger side kick panel.
I cut the wire
I ran the button side of the wire and the PCM wire side up into the shifter area
The button wire goes to the center of the SPDT switch (Common)
The PCM goes to one side of the switch.
The other side of the switch I have going to the ground side of a relay
I have a fused 12volt switched going to the other side.
Then the solenoid wires are connected to the normally closed function of the relay.

So when I flip the SPDT switch to line lock, I hit the OFF button it grounds the relay, and throws the relay switch to power the LL.

This separates my PCM from everything else. I guess I could put a fuse on the PCM wire, as another safety in case my switch goes bad, but the switch is only sending ground, not 12V.

So this is what I pulled off of All Ford Mustangs.
Anyone using a linelock kit ? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums

But Im not really sure of the directions. Id need someone to turn it into basic english haha. Like where everything is, more detailed, where to tap into the wires, which wires, ect. If anyone knows more about this and could help out, id be much appreciated.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Oh snap actually found it!

[ame=http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15358]Wiring diagram for using cruise control button to activate line locks - WWW.S197FORUM.COM[/ame]

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
Okey, fluid will drip out, I suggest you drain it completely anyways since youll have to bleed the master cylinder anyways

just make sure when you re attach the lines again DO NOT pump the brake pedal because youll pump air into the lines

Ive been thinking of making a brake bleeding write up because I think i did it very well because my pedal came out feeling a lot better than before, due to having completely new fluid in the system

bleeding the master cylinder is exactly like the brakes except your bleeding 2 valves at the same time

Ill gladly do a write up! the correct way to bleed brakes if it will really help fellow cobra/mach owners

o and yes , installation is exactly the same for mach 1s also

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Just wanted to bump this thread up as I'm currently using it to install my line lock.

This can easily be done with a strut tower brace (I have the Kenny Brown piece) in place and with the battery still in place. It's a very straight forward install and this thread with clear pictures makes it a breeze.

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
Just wanted to bump this thread up as I'm currently using it to install my line lock.

This can easily be done with a strut tower brace (I have the Kenny Brown piece) in place and with the battery still in place. It's a very straight forward install and this thread with clear pictures makes it a breeze.

Thanks man! hope it helps, i try to do whatever I can for my fellow terminator/mach owners , especially when i saw how terrible the slp instructions are, I said " hell yea ima make a write up so no other DOHC 4.6 owners have to deal with the crappy instructions"

Id love to do a brake bleeding write up because mine came out perfect! Im just too lazy to want to do it all over again because it is quite a time consuming process, when i do my valve covers Ill make one for you guys:coolman:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
My master cylinder is completely empty as are all the lines so I'm hoping I don't run into too many issues doing a complete bleeding process. Reason being I pulled off all brake lines for SS lines and they weren't in the order I was expecting..came in several days later. Nothing I could do at that point as the calipers were completely dissassembled for repainting.

I plan on doing a write-up on how to use the traction control button for line lock activation so look for that here in a week or so.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Why in the world did you complicate the install and pull the master cylinder? I have done several of these and never pulled the MC off the car.

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
Why in the world did you complicate the install and pull the master cylinder? I have done several of these and never pulled the MC off the car.

sorry im not you, the instructions noted and I felt that it would be much easier to do it with the MC off, either way you still have to bleed the system and its 2 bolts so why not

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread