Hood Latch Adjustment...no more slamming it closed

Evilcartman

Established Member
So I was tired of my hood being hard to close so I fixed it, documented it and thought I would post it up. This is simple and worked perfect on my car.

Hood mod

Last edited:

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
Nice write-up. Gonna have to try this cause I hate having to slam my hood to get it to latch.

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
Nice write up! I thought my hood was hard to close do to the Hood struts the previous owner installed, going to try this once the car is up and running again!

Spoolx

Established Member
Cool writeup, the car I bought is really tough to close the hood, im gonna do this!

Spoolx

Established Member
Anyone else have luck with this mod? i put a huge washer (at least 1/8") thick and the hood didnt seem to get any easier to close.

Stalker27

Established Member
After reading this i had to go out and try it. Just got done & it works awsome. Now i don't look like an idiot dropping my hood from a mile up just to close it or not closing at all. Awesome work OP

Stalker27

Established Member
You said you used a huge washer. You don't need a huge washer & lastly you still have to drop it just not nearly as far & catches securely now

Spoolx

Established Member
The writeup made it sound like you would need to add more washers if it didnt work with just one, so I went with one about the size of the one in the writeup

Stalker27

Established Member
The one In the pic isn't all that big pics make things look a lil bigger. The one I used wasn't very thick at all. Just a standard washer really. Try to get a normal size thickness washer and try again and if that doesn't work try puttin them together. I promise you it does work and works great. Keep trying, you'll get it

Evilcartman

Established Member
You shouldn't need too thick of a washer. Try a thinner washer, adjust the rubber bumper on the corners and make sure that the latch lines up with the hole in the hood, both left to right and front to back.

kbrier

Established Member
Evil: Just did your hood latch mood on my 03 Vert and "no more slamming". I used two washers and made few hood stop adjustments; all good now!! All I have to do is press the hood down with one hand and it latches ... NICE!!!

kbrier

Established Member
Hi Rich: After performing the washer modification and with the hood closed I pulled up and down on the middle, right and left. I adjusted the stops so that hood would close but was hard to move up and down (I adjusted rubber stops with hood opened ... naturally ...). I started moving the stops one full turn at a time (not sure if I went CW or CCW) and then when I got close changed to 1/4 turn increments. I had a few back and forths on the stops until these were adjusted correctly against the hood. At the final adjustment I was still able to get some movement out of the hood by pulling up and down, but I suspect this is just the natural movement you get against the rubber stops. Both rubber stops were the same height at the final adjustment. I drove the car around for an hour or so and all seemed fine.

Users who are viewing this thread