Detailed Front Spring Removal!!!

cobrasvtcrazy

New Cobra Maniac
Established Member
:banana: Well this is my first write up so please dont flame. This thread just shows how to cut your front springs and the steps to take. Their are others out there but i hope this helps

Well first of course pop your hood by pulling this:rolling:
IMG_1593.jpg

Then admire that beautiful 4.6 engine:rockon:
IMG_1596.jpg

Next of course remove your wheels and start by removing this brake pin
IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

Next remove your brake pad and seat it somewhere where it wont hang
IMG_1602.jpg

You also want to support you caliper with a jack. just rest it on the caliper with little pressure
IMG_1611.jpg

Next remove this thing. I dont know wat it is called:shrug: but remove the nut off of this with a 15 mm wrench
IMG_1608.jpg

And just to be safe remove the brake pin to allow more slack
IMG_1609.jpg

Next get an allen wrench and another wrench to complete this next step. U are going to want someone holding the allen steady while the other person loosening.
IMG_1613.jpg

I would also suggest using something u can use to help u hold the small allen wrench
IMG_1614.jpg

When you done with this slowly lower the jack and the long bar thing will come out
IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

Next pry out the coil which can be a pain:??:
IMG_1619.jpg

Always cut the spring from the bottom and just slide the rubber peicee to where u want it
IMG_1621.jpg

I cut the spring with a rotozip. wear glasses too.
IMG_1622.jpg

Next put your spring back in and seat it correctly. After ur dont place ur jack under the caliper and start to raise
IMG_1624.jpg

When u raise the jack be sure the shock and this thing enter their right place. I used a crowbar to guide it in. It made it alot easier.
IMG_1623.jpg

Next repeat the steps for the other side and your done:banana:
IMG_1632.jpg

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Sorry man, but your method is more difficult than it needs to be.

There is a much easier way to do it.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I cant wait to hear your easier way:poke:

Have you seen my brake write up threads?

:p

I make it easy for all ;-)

The OP's method is suitable for bilstein struts only...however, if you happen to have any other brands of struts, you're gonna have a VERY difficult time getting that top strut bolt to come loose and normally a trip to some auto shop equipped with an impact gun to get the bolt loose are the norm.

The top strut bolts do not have an allen key opening like the bilsteins. They come with a slit (for a flat head screwdriver), and trying to get that bolt out is virtually impossible with trying to use the screw driver slit. Also, constant rotation of the strut piston will damage the strut, so screwing with the piston for a spring install is not the way I advise anyone to do it...specially if they're relying on a forum write-up thread.

Taking the bottom two strut bolts out is the easiest, safest and most fool-proof method.

Here are some pics of when I performed a friend's GF's Mach lowering job 5 years ago:

img0259t.jpg

img0261p.jpg

img0263kr.jpg

img0264q.jpg

gibsonboy3000

Established Member
Have you seen my brake write up threads?

:p

I make it easy for all ;-)

The OP's method is suitable for bilstein struts only...however, if you happen to have any other brands of struts, you're gonna have a VERY difficult time getting that top strut bolt to come loose and normally a trip to some auto shop equipped with an impact gun to get the bolt loose are the norm.

The top strut bolts do not have an allen key opening like the bilsteins. They come with a slit (for a flat head screwdriver), and trying to get that bolt out is virtually impossible with trying to use the screw driver slit. Also, constant rotation of the strut piston will damage the strut, so screwing with the piston for a spring install is not the way I advise anyone to do it...specially if they're relying on a forum write-up thread.

Taking the bottom two strut bolts out is the easiest, safest and most fool-proof method.

Here are some pics of when I performed a friend's GF's Mach lowering job 5 years ago:

img0259t.jpg

img0261p.jpg

img0263kr.jpg

img0264q.jpg

im not very experienced either but i did my springs this way...

Spoolx

Established Member
I prefer to take the top bolt out, if you remove the bottom two bolts on the strut you could potentially throw off your alignment... although I guess lowering it probably does the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread