Footwell lighting mod...

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
:D

Actual cost is about $20 bucks.

I also installed a set of white LEDs for my buddy, and came out pretty nice.

Footwell lighting that comes on with the interior lights and turns off with them as well. (e.g if you open the door, the dome or maplights come on, and so do these at the same time. When you shut the door, they go off)

Initial mod was with some $11.99 LED lighting pods, but they were very dim at night, thus I decided to pick up a set of red LED strips package for $19.99 at Autozone (don't mind the cell phone pic)
wuhsgl.jpg

How to:

9vl9uo.jpg

2vj1v9e.jpg

14l4q4g.jpg

Spliced into the 2 black wires. One is solid, the other has a white stripe. Leave the green one alone. The wires run down the passenger side only. I used a clothes hangar that I straightened out, and wrapped one end of the wiring that needed to pass through onto the end of the hangar. I rounded the end of the hangar into a small loop to hold the wiring, then guided the wiring down the side of the dash board underneath to where I could grab it and then attached it to the LED strip...also guided another bit of wiring under the center of the dash behind the radio across to the driver's side and then attached to the other LED strip and velcro'd it in there. (zip ties are better).

I used some velcro strips (better to use zip ties..and works better than the velcro) that I had to attach them to the underdash section. It's not very convenient to mount, but just do it as you want since no one looks there, all you need is the light output.

4htgco.jpg

316kvhc.jpg

Ignore the dirty carpeting..have not vacumed in a few days..

Decided on the red color LEDs.

Since they're spliced into the dome (coupes) / map reading lights (verts), they come on/go off together. They are also controlled by the headlight knob.

I might also extend two more modules to the bottom rear of the front seats so that the rear passenger/floor lights up as well.

Last edited:

SBTerminator

Established Member
If I do it, I'll throw them on a switch so I don't have to worry about when they are on or off and it will not effect my dome light.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Just did this mod in addition to a 20 LED dome light. Thanks for doing this. I was on the fence after doing my trunk with LED strips, but after seeing your pics, it was a no brainer, not ricey at all. I think it looks OEM like.
auh1ls.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
Just did this mod in addition to a 20 LED dome light. Thanks for doing this. I was on the fence after doing my trunk with LED strips, but after seeing your pics, it was a no brainer, not ricey at all. I think it looks OEM like.
auh1ls.jpg

:rockon:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Thanks for the write up and idea, this will look badass in my torch red 10th anniversary vert.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i did this mod in combonation with the 12-led light bulb for the dome light

a total of $35 for the dome light and the 2-12" led strips for the dash, very easy to do!

it is so much brighter than the original oem yellow looking dome light only

i went with the bright white color leds because i didnt think red would look good with parchment tan interior and sonic blue ... it is really lit up now, ill throw a cell phone pick up later

TDUB003

Established Member
Anyone have a pic of the 12 LED dome light? The previous owner put super white led's in the dome of my Cobra but they're pretty dim.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Anyone have a pic of the 12 LED dome light? The previous owner put super white led's in the dome of my Cobra but they're pretty dim.

i can try and get one later but my cell doesnt get a good quality pic of it .. i can tell you it Really brightens up the interior over an oem bulb ... well worth 15 bucks

greengt88

Established Member
do they make led bulbs for the rear view mirror bulbs on the convertible? I took the lens off to see if i could get the bulbs out. looks like i'd need needle nose pliers to get them out. any tips on how to remove them without breaking them and what # bulb they are.

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
I'm going to do this later in the week, but can't decide on color. The red looks nice and it would of looked perfect in my old tenth. I'm thinking maybe blue, red or white.

I might do the rear seats as well. Do I just splice all 4 wires at the same point or will I run into power draining issues when they are on?

Established Member
I'm going to do this later in the week, but can't decide on color. The red looks nice and it would of looked perfect in my old tenth. I'm thinking maybe blue, red or white.

I might do the rear seats as well. Do I just splice all 4 wires at the same point or will I run into power draining issues when they are on?

LEDs use us a fraction of voltage, so nope, you will not have a drain problem. Also, our interior lights have a 3 (or is it 5..hmmm) minute shut off timer. If you leave the door open and the map/dome and footwell lighting is on, after 3 minutes, the computer shuts them off. Same thing with the trunk light.

I would just run a splice from these where you junction them. Run a line to the rear probably underneath the center console and to wherever you want.

I want to run two lines and attach them to the bottom rear of each seat.

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
LEDs use us a fraction of voltage, so nope, you will not have a drain problem. Also, our interior lights have a 3 (or is it 5..hmmm) minute shut off timer. If you leave the door open and the map/dome and footwell lighting is on, after 3 minutes, the computer shuts them off. Same thing with the trunk light.

I would just run a splice from these where you junction them. Run a line to the rear probably underneath the center console and to wherever you want.

I want to run two lines and attach them to the bottom rear of each seat.

Good... will try to do it one of these nights. I still need to decide on color.:whine:

Users who are viewing this thread