03 Cobra fuel tank vs. 99+ fuel tank - A comparison with pictures and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

03Steve

Established Member
Here are the two fuel tanks side by side. The 99 Cobra tank is on the left, the 03 Cobra tank is on the right:

P2060002.jpg

Note that there are several differences between the two fuel tanks.

The first one pointed out is a revision on the 03 Cobra fuel tank. A "Y" fitting is installed onto the canister line. On the 03 Cobra, this "Y" fitting connects to an additional canister line that connects to the fuel tank filler neck. It is not present on the 99 Cobra.

This part of the "Y" connector received a 3/8" end cap and a hose clamp. See below for comparison:

P2060004.jpg

The next difference between the 03 Cobra fuel tank and the 99+ fuel tank is noted below. The 03 tank is on the left, the 99 is on the right.

Note that the 99 fuel tank has an additional side-mounted bulkhead and hose. This is not present on the 03 Cobra fuel tank. The additional hose on the 99 Cobra leads from the fuel tank filler neck tube. This hose on the filler neck can be cut and capped.

See pic below for tank comparison:

P2060005.jpg

The next difference is in the canister electrical connector. The 99 tank is on the left, the 03 Cobra tank is on the right.

Note the difference in the connector shape. The 99-style has a larger, more square-shaped connector. The 03 Cobra's is a bit smaller, and more rectangular in shape. If you are lucky enough to receive the wiring harness with your 03 Cobra fuel tank/pump assembly, this will not be an issue. However, if you are using the 99 electrical connectors with the 03 Cobra canister sensor, note the differences.

The main wiring connector from the fuel tank to the body is the same on both tanks.

See below for picture:

P2060006-1.jpg

One of the advantages of the 03 Cobra fuel tank is that it is sumped FROM THE FACTORY. Gotta love quality stock parts. Note the picture below. This is a shot of the inside of the 03 Cobra tank, with the fuel pump assembly removed:

P2060008.jpg

Here is the 03 Cobra fuel pump assembly. There are two pumps in the assy, and they are wired in parallel. They both operate at the same time, in lieu of previous secondary pump arrangements from Ford:

P2060009.jpg

Here is the 99 fuel tank with the hat removed. Note that there is a yellow/orange canister in the tank. Also note that the fuel pump assembly is separate from the hat. A single fuel pump resides in the canister.

The white in-line device that the hose connects to is a check valve. It is commonly referred to as a "PPRV". This prevents fuel from flowing in a backwards direction when the engine is turned off, and keeps the fuel line pressurized. This lets the car startup faster, as fuel pressure in the line will be maintained while the car is not running.

Some racers remove the PPRV, as it is present in all returnless-style fuel system arrangements. The PPRV is a restrictive device, and has been linked to hesitation between shifts.

It is common to add a higher flowing pump in replacement of the stock 99 pump. However, the canister that the single fuel pump resides in can be "sucked dry" by the fuel pump. This is where the sumped 03 Cobra tank is beneficial over the stock 99 tank.

See pic:

P2060011.jpg

Here is a picture of the stock canister removed from the tank. You can see that the hat is separate from the canister:

P2090002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
its not even funny how much this helps me. Im in the process of buying a used tank this week. kinda creepy actually

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
2000-2001+ tanks do not have that 2nd hose next to the fuel filler hole. With my research, they seemed to have been on 99's only.

Here is my 2000 GT tank that I used with my motor swap:

During assembly:
fueltank01.jpg

Ready for install:
fueltankalmostready.jpg

Lemme know if you guys need more pics of the 00 + tanks :D

Last edited:

03Steve

Established Member

Great info. It looks like the second bulkhead on the side of the tank was replaced by the "Y" connector on the canister system.

Here's another difference between the 1999 and 2001 Cobras...for that thread.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
03Steve said:

Great info. It looks like the second bulkhead on the side of the tank was replaced by the "Y" connector on the canister system.

Here's another difference between the 1999 and 2001 Cobras...for that thread.

:rockon:

btw, if anyone needs any 2000-2004 GT/V6/Mach1 fuel tanks, I have over 100 units available.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
i remember changing that connector when i did mine but i dont remember that extra tube on the side?
hmmmm
J

03Steve

Established Member
The data results are in!!! My "power" mods are as follows:

-3" Mac exhaust
-JLT CAI
-26 degrees of timing with no knock retard
-12.4:1 commanded A/F ratio

Under WOT with the 99 tank and fuel pump, my fuel pump duty cycle frequently hit 100%. Most of the time, it was around 95% - 100%.

After adding the 03 Cobra fuel tank and pumps, fuel pump duty cycle is now at 67% peak! Talk about fuel system headroom! I just need more air now. :rolling:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
03Steve said:

-3" Mac exhaust
-JLT CAI

Under WOT with the 99 tank and fuel pump, my fuel pump duty cycle frequently hit 100%. Most of the time, it was around 95% - 100%.

After adding the 03 Cobra fuel tank and pumps, fuel pump duty cycle is now at 67% peak! Talk about fuel system headroom! I just need more air now. :rolling:

sweet....keep up the good work Steve...

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Why the hell has this post never become a sticky or been added to the New Edge FAQ???

I just searched an hours worth of posts to find a picture of the 03/04 in tank sump!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Why the hell has this post never become a sticky or been added to the New Edge FAQ???

I just searched an hours worth of posts to find a picture of the 03/04 in tank sump!

Because I didn't know about it maybe?
Because I wasn't a mod then?
Because no one asked for it?

Why the hell didn't you ask me to add it instead of bumping a 3 yr old thread.:poke::poke:

It has been added.:beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Didnt mean to cause a panty bunching. haha

I was kinda irritated after treking through post after post and finding nothing.

Thank you for adding this! :)

Brutal Metal

Established Member

-3" Mac exhaust
-JLT CAI

Since this thread is SO Old I don't even know if this OP is around anymore but the Duty Cycle was 100% with those Mods with the stock tank and pump? WHAT? I'm at 49% with a Mac Exhaust,JLT RAI, 26 Degrees of timing with additional Mods!! Don't understand that at all??:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread