Get your Bolt-Ons ready, NE Brothers!!!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Ford updated the Mustang for the 2010 model year, but largely ignored the car’s engine bay. However, that will likely change for the 2011 model year, with details of the Mustang’s new powertrains hitting the Web on Wednesday.

As previously reported on these pages, the base Mustang will be powered by Ford’s 3.7L V6 for the 2011 model year.

Although that engine produces 273 horsepower in Lincoln applications, power will be ramped up to 315 horsepower for the Mustang, according to The Mustang Source. That represents a significant increase of 105 horsepower over the current V6-powered Mustang and an 11 horsepower advantage of the Chevrolet Camaro V6.A 400 horsepower 5.0L V8 motor will also be joining the Mustang lineup for 2011. Dubbed ‘Coyote’, the new mill will be used in the Mustang GT model and will be available with a six-speed manual transmission – something the Camaro has offered since 1993.

Combined with Ford’s latest track pack, the 2011 Mustang GT reportedly lapped Michigan’s GingerMan Raceway dead-even with the current BMW M3 — despite a 200 pound weight disadvantage.
Because Ford’s 365 horsepower EcoBoost motor would leave little to differentiate the V6 Mustang from the 400 horsepower V8 model, there are no current plans to use the turbocharged engine in the Mustang in the immediate future. However, the Mustang GT will likely see a power boost in the coming years, possibly opening the door for a turbocharged Mustang.
Other changes to the Mustang line for 2011 include an aluminum block for the Shelby GT500 model. A Boss model is on tap for 2012

Looks like the 2011 V6 is going to have some punch. Better start saving your pennies for a few bolt-ons to stay ahead of the future lil' sister Stangs.

-Kevin

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i think im good for now...i do have a smaller pulley yet to put on lol

i've been waiting for the 5.0 cammer to go into a production car for a looooong time!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Glad I decided to do the bb/stroker now. It always happens though. Anyone remembr what the Cobra R put out in 93 and 95? Yea, not very much.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A well driven, strong running NE Cobra will still take a 2011 sixxer, even if it is stock. I figure that the sixxer Mustang will run 14.5 or so at 96-97, so it will put up a good run. What does you guys figure the torque rating will be for the 3.7L sixxer, 270ish lb-ft? Thats still close to 50 lb-ft less than us.

That Coyote motor will put a hurting on us though, even with some bolt-ons.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
olgreydog7 said:
Glad I decided to do the bb/stroker now. It always happens though. Anyone remembr what the Cobra R put out in 93 and 95? Yea, not very much.

+1

It'll be nice to hang with or pass the new cars. Wasn't the 93 Cobra rated at 235 and the 95 at 250?

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
I'm slowly starting to collect some Vortech parts. So far I have a complete aftercooler kit and the mounting bracket. :burnout:

As for the high HP V6 Mustang, it's about time Ford built a strong V6 mustang.:banana:

matt87

Established Member
about 6 months and 6k dollars later i'll have a nice procharger p1 kit. that and the 4.30 gears should keep the coyotes at bay.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
That Coyote motor will put a hurting on us though, even with some bolt-ons.

Depends on the number of bolt ons. Another number that, unfortunately, keeps going up as well is the wieght.

Why spend 6K on a new P1 kit when you can score a used blower kit for around 1200 bucks?:poke: Our cars are money pits enough as it is.:dw:

I doubt you will find a complete kit for $1200. If you do, it is rare. Some people like new things with warrenties too. Also, arn't you the guy with the $12,000 rims just to save 2 ounces of rotating mass on a street car? (BTW, I exagerate on the price and wieght saved, just making a point)

matt87

Established Member
yeah i do like new stuff and that price is installed and dyno tuned. i know its a huge sum but it will really wake the car up.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
i have a bolt on Cobra and the new SS is a joke, i don't know if drivers suck but i don't remember the taillights of any local new maros (bone stock i asume)

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I agree on the strong V6 statement. I am happy to see that as well. The import 4s and 6s have been killing the Ford base model Mustang for way, way, way too long.

The stronger Ford makes the base model Mustang, the stronger it has to make the GT and Cobras. Now if they could just learn that 5 liters is NOT enough, we would all be better off. Oh, yeah, not to mention that Ford is in a nasty habit of increasing size and weight of the car when they increase the power. The LS motor in my Z06 has an incredible amount of torque... all because it is 60 something cubic inches bigger than a 4.6.

In the entrails of Ford Mustang history, it feels like we are living 1968-1971 all over again. The cars get more power and get bigger and heavier. Guess what happens next people?!?!?! 1972 and 1973.... Mustangs kept the same bloated body style but got a reduction in power and had no top level engine models. Do I need to remind you of the years after that? Yeah, the Mustang II models from 74-78 were just kickin'!!!! I had a 76 Mustang II Ghia, so I have the right to be concerned!

-Kevin

Last edited:

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
It's about dang time Ford does something like this. I don't mind if a 10 year newer car with a smaller motor beats me anyway. I bought mine not only for the engine, but I think the overall car is sexy. Anyway, I just got my gears installed today, yes they are 4.10's before anyone freaks out lol, and if I run up on 1, I should be ok.

The real good thing about this is that a new V6 Mustang will be a fun DD!

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
those are some impressive numbers, I look forward to seeing them and how well the perform in OT and at the strip.

Users who are viewing this thread