supercharger for '01 Cobra

2k1svtcobra

Established Member
I've been toying with the idea of installing a supercharger. I realize the internals are the real issue when it comes to this. Is it possible to install a supercharger and still keep the increased HP amount at a safe level like 450ish? Ive read that the internals are ok as long as HP isn't pushed up towards 500hp. I do not race or track. Cobra is just driven as a 3rd car/special occasions, but it would be nice to install one :)

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
You can start small like a procharger p1sc and run 6-8 lbs of boost. I wouldn't go any higher than that on stock internals, I'm telling you from experience. Make sure you have a reputable tuner who can keep it conservative. If you're not beating it regularly, I can see it lasting a while. Just remember, the potential will always be there for something to fail so don't expect invincibility when putting any boost through that motor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

force feed

Established Member
Had an eaton swap on my 01 for over 2 years and never had a problem. I was on 8lbs of boost and it made 440/403 to the wheels. You should be fine if you dont mash the pedal all the time

railroad

Established Member
Consider the Kenne Bell. I have a 1.7 on my 99 Cobra. Like putting a 428 in it. Ken Christley advertised it at 460 whp on 91 octane. Most of the guys ended up with 430 whp. It seems the cam timing is all over the place on these engines and hp is dependant on how well your engine is timed. I run Nitto 555rs and it will start spinning the tires in 3rd when it hits tq peak. KB may have upgraded the to the 2.1 supercharger now, which will be even better. This is at 9 lbs of boost. I do have 3.73 gears, alum d/s and flywheel. I also have the intercooled model.

Last edited:

CobRoush-00

Established Member
My .02 cents on this matter is the following: Buy an 2003-2204 Cobra engine and transmission for about 7K and drop it in your car. Reason: Cost effective - a KB supercharger will cost you about 5K. You still don't have forged internals therefore you will be limited when it comes to HP or you will have to build the motor. Again that's my opinion.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
Vortech kit on 7-8lbs will make ~450whp. The centrifugal supercharger is much gentler on the engine and drivetrain than a roots or twin screw supercharger also.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
piece together a centri blower and make sure you have enough fuel volume,low timing and a nice tune file, you'll be fine with low boost!

wilco1rd

Established Member
Shop around... I bought a 2.1 kenne bell of craigslist for 3K. Had it installed in a week with new injectors and a KB Boost a pump. Tuned by Walsh motorsports in MI. Cranked out 466 rwhp and its my daily driver, not one problem yet!

2k1svtcobra

Established Member
thanks.. great info

I appreciate the replies, I will definetly start looking into many of the suggestions here ... I'm just looking for more HP power. I might be anywhere between 320-340hp right now with my minor mods such as a borla exhaust, K&N cold air intake. Not sure how much those add in HP.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Shop around... I bought a 2.1 kenne bell of craigslist for 3K. Had it installed in a week with new injectors and a KB Boost a pump. Tuned by Walsh motorsports in MI. Cranked out 466 rwhp and its my daily driver, not one problem yet!
What's your fuel pump duty cycle % at WOT? your supporting 466 with the stock 110lph pump and a BAP? I maxed a single Aviator which flows twice that oem pump with Bap at 480:shrug:

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
yes your fine with low boost
even beating on it shouldnt be an issue with a good tune

for reference since you asked i paid 2500 for my internals that will hold twice the power you want and my blower which is way more then what you need was 3500

2001cobravert

Established Member
Last edited:

wilco1rd

Established Member
What's your fuel pump duty cycle % at WOT? your supporting 466 with the stock 110lph pump and a BAP? I maxed a single Aviator which flows twice that oem pump with Bap at 480:shrug:

Haha yes stock fuel pump and everything, just 39lb injectors and BAP. I have no idea about duty cycle... Mr. Walsh @ walsh motorsports does my tuning and he is damn good

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Consider the Kenne Bell. I have a 1.7 on my 99 Cobra. Like putting a 428 in it. Ken Christley advertised it at 460 whp on 91 octane. Most of the guys ended up with 430 whp. It seems the cam timing is all over the place on these engines and hp is dependant on how well your engine is timed. I run Nitto 555rs and it will start spinning the tires in 3rd when it hits tq peak. KB may have upgraded the to the 2.1 supercharger now, which will be even better. This is at 9 lbs of boost. I do have 3.73 gears, alum d/s and flywheel. I also have the intercooled model.

I was in that debacle with you lol

mine ended up making 468/414 on 9psi after it was all said and done

its been over 8 years and 34k miles now lol

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Haha yes stock fuel pump and everything, just 39lb injectors and BAP. I have no idea about duty cycle... Mr. Walsh @ walsh motorsports does my tuning and he is damn good

same here...my fuel pump is nearly at max under wot, my 90mm lmaf is also nearly maxed

Users who are viewing this thread