*Oxford White Terminator with Deep Dish 03 Chromies*

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Finally got out of the shop today and snapped a few pics on the way home. Before anyone asks, I'm cutting stock springs (7/8 coil) tomorrow. I'll get some more/better pictures after I get the springs cut and my polished catback on. To be honest the rears look small. I'm hoping that lowering the car down will help but I think I'll keep them for now. :beer:

Setup -

Stock springs
Fronts 17x9 stockers with 275/40's.
Rears 17x10.5 Deep Dish with 315/35 Nitto 555R's

Model - Princess Allie of York

Enjoy!

Jake

OxBraisback002.jpg

OxBraisback003.jpg

OxBraisback019.jpg

OxBraisback023.jpg

OxBraisback025.jpg

OxBraisback026.jpg

OxBraisback028.jpg

OxBraisback032.jpg

OxBraisback040.jpg

***UPDATE*** :p

7/8 coil cut front and rear. Iso's in. After driving ~10 miles it seems to sit a tad lower, not much.

016-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

***UPDATE #2*** :D

Daytime photos. These headlights look like crap.

001-5.jpg

002-7.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

***MOAR***

007-3.jpg

001-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

007-2.jpg

006-4.jpg

008-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

Last edited:

DsilverM

Established Member
The DD ones still look a little off. Their spokes look thinner than stockers.

Whats up with the 99-00 Headlights?

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
The DD ones still look a little off. Their spokes look thinner than stockers
Whats up with the 99-00 Headlights?

They are thinner. I thought I'd give it a shot, though. One of the stock headlights was broken in a fender bender and these are the replacements until I can get some more stockers.

I think the 315's look good on the back:rockon:

Thanks! Still a little too narrow IMO.

goin off roading?

:lol:

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
man looks awsome from behind!! I still havent made my mind up on it?? I'm going with bigger wheel tire combo on my oxford vert, still makin up my mind I kinda like n kinda hate?? Maybee with deep d on front will even out the look more? I do love the way the rears look from behind though

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Hate to say it....but that looks like shit.

The Lab looks great...haha.

I still think the AFS regular, non-deep 10.5's are the best looking "wider" stock style replacements.

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
Car looks great, wheels are too small IMO, but it will look 31,487 times better when you lower it. I really think that these cars need 18" rims to look "perfect" but I think when you are all done it will look great. I'm really liking the rolling shots of the wheels, but just like you said, deep dish wheels do look smaller than wheels with flush spokes.

Now off topic a bit, I still don't understand why so many people cut springs. I've seen probably 100 people do it to 03/04 Cobras just on this forum alone. I just don't see why some people don't buy $275.00 springs for a $32,000+ car when many of the same people will spend 5 to 10 times that on other mods. I'm not trying to bash on anyone that cuts springs but IMO it's just such a ghetto ricer way to lower a car, especially a Terminator. Also, cut springs don't do much for handling improvements other than a slightly lower center of gravity, but if the car is going to lowered much more than an inch it really helps the performance to have stiffer springs which, unlike the stockers, is what you get with the aftermarket springs. I did cut the springs on my '85 GT, but that was back in 1992 when I was a jobless 16 year old high-schooler who couldn't afford to do it the right way.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys, good and bad. The bad comments go right along with my wifes statement "Wow that looks ghetto"

As for cutting springs. I had cut springs on my last 03 Cobra and had no issues. Comfy ride and I got my stance exactly how I wanted it.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Man, I once said that the DD stockers were a great idea, but I take it back... Please don't take offense to this because I'm not trying to put you down in any way. I just don't like the way they look for some reason.

And what's up with those headlights, bro?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I will give you my opinion when you lower it. If they made these in 18's I think it would look awesome!

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Now off topic a bit, I still don't understand why so many people cut springs. I've seen probably 100 people do it to 03/04 Cobras just on this forum alone. I just don't see why some people don't buy $275.00 springs for a $32,000+ car when many of the same people will spend 5 to 10 times that on other mods. I'm not trying to bash on anyone that cuts springs but IMO it's just such a ghetto ricer way to lower a car, especially a Terminator. Also, cut springs don't do much for handling improvements other than a slightly lower center of gravity, but if the car is going to lowered much more than an inch it really helps the performance to have stiffer springs which, unlike the stockers, is what you get with the aftermarket springs. I did cut the springs on my '85 GT, but that was back in 1992 when I was a jobless 16 year old high-schooler who couldn't afford to do it the right way.

:poke: Yea, hi there......

With all do respect, you're a moron.

I understand that you assume that if you pay for something, it automatically makes it better. It makes sense typically. HOWEVER, in this case you are not correct.

03/04 Cobra's come with linear rate springs. I will find the equation if you like. (edit: just looked it up....the rate is 600lb/in front and rear and vert is 500lb/in front 470lb/in rear).

Now your argument would make sense if the Cobra's had PROGRESSIVE rate springs which travel distance comes into play changing rate as the spring is compressed. However with linear rate, the rate remains constant through the entire distance of compression. Cutting springs do NOT affect the integrity of the spring itself. A linear rate spring has a constant spring rating, no matter how much the spring is compressed, for example 600lb/in. This means that for every 600 pounds of pressure, there will be 1 inch of spring compression. A progressive rate spring will have a variable spring rate, for example 425-630lb/in. This means that it may take 425 pounds for 1 inch of compression, but as the spring compresses more it will rise to as much as 630 pounds of pressure. To put it simply, the spring "progressively" gets stiffer as it is compressed.

Unlike linear rate springs, progressive rate springs will change when cut. The tension changes on progressive rate springs change as they are compressed getting more tension as they are compressed. Understand? Therefore, if you cut some spring out, you reduce the distance the spring has to travel to reach full compression.

Now, I know what you are thinking....
You are wondering if the tension rate of said cut spring is effectively similar to your "$275 springs". I have plugged in the numbers once before on another site for this particular reason (someone thought what you thought) and guess what? The rates are almost identical on H&R SS max compression. Aftermarket springs ARE however Progressive rate, which SOME would argue are better, but I would rather my springs not be as soft on the initial compression because of how low my car is. Although the mere 80 or so lb/in difference in initial compression (depending on the spring) is a miniscule ammount when compared to overall comression rate and cant really be noticed, unless you are running around "The Ring".

So BASICALLY what this means is a stock spring cut to the SAME height as....say an H&R SS, will maintain the same tension rate thus giving you the same benefits of having the aftermarket springs unless you are pushing your car in auto X to the ABSOLUTE EDGE of the envelope.

So, unless you are going with a coilover setup or something a bit more extreme, or you autocross daily, you are waisting money. Because in everyday driving, you arent really ever going to notice the ~80lb/in initial difference (again depending on spring).

Unless of course you are one of those people that just want them to add to a mod list and make people think you bought the "best".

And before you say it.....I have had both.

:beer:

Last edited:

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
wow well written. I think what he was saying was if u take the time to take the spring out just replace with new while its out? Do tension rates vary with mileage on the spring, and if your not doing your own work, can u trust someone else to cut springs so they are both exactly the same? Do springs even cost 275?? I think I paid like 150?? ne whoo good debate either way. Now i will duck as i get hammered for writing this:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread