out with the new and in with the old. (build thread)

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
Well I haven't really been too active on here lately. But I figured id update you guys on my latest project.

well on Wednesday I said goodbye to the cobra, It was a Great car and I had a ton of fun with it. However I had a gentleman approach me and made me an offer for the car I couldn't refuse. I decided it was time for some new or old in this case.I grew up around musclecars. Ive always loved classic fastback stangs. When the remake of Gone in 60 seconds came out in 2000 watching nicolas cage run from the cops in a modified 67 GT500, I was hooked. I loved everything about the car the look the colors, the sound, ...everything. I said to myself one day I will own that car. So 10 years later here I am.

I've been watching the prices of 67/68 fastbacks for a few years now and they have doubled in price. With the possible sale of the cobra I began looking around for a good clean car. I looked at a couple but they were either complete heaps of shit or way over priced. I finally PMed a guy on another mustang forum who was from conn with a 67. I looked at it and bought it right then and there.

The previous owner bought the car in Tennessee.He completely stripped the car, sandblasted it, and put it on a rotisserie to do the rust repair. He replaced the floors quarters and some other misc metal that had been eaten away. He installed all new suspension disc brakes, fuel lines and just about everything else under the car. He swapped in a fuel injected 5.0 out of a low mileage 94 GT. He purchased a brand new world class t5 5 speed and a 9 inch rear end.

My goal for the car is to make it as movie correct as possible.There are a few clones out there but I have yet to see one that captures teh correct movie look. Including PIAA lighting, correct body kit, handmade PS engineering wheels,moto lita steering wheel. brushed aluminum interior some other stuff.

For those of you that haven't seen the movie this is what the final result will look like.

ford1j.jpg

173001117z1967fordmusta.jpg

17300114z1967fordmustan.jpg

dsc04043customne8.jpg

on the way home(pops with a big smile)

img2230sl.jpg

1967eleanor

Established Member
van full of parts, including a brand new windshield.

img2238m.jpg

the crack free original dashpad i scored at mustangs unlimited, I have a reproduction one but they fit like garbage and dont have the correct texture. its blue but nothing a little VHT die cant fix.
img2239j.jpg

img2241k.jpg

I spent a couple hours last night fitting the shelby trunk and endcaps, being fiberglass they dont just bolt right on. I got the front gap all nice but I have to adjust the unges to bring down the drivers side rear a bit.

img2234fs.jpg

img2236j.jpg

img2235k.jpg

img2237xp.jpg

not really into football so i rebuilt my heater box.

img2248lo.jpg

img2244i.jpg

new heater core

img2247q.jpg

new foam on the doors

img2246um.jpg

new plenum and duct hoses

img2249t.jpg

new defroster vents and control cables

img2250j.jpg

Today after class I worked on the front and rear glass channels. They had 40 years worth of paint and window glue in them so it was quite a bitch, but in the end they had no rust and looks great. I have no school/work Wednesday so im gonna strip the rest of the roof and the sail panels ill put that in epoxy primer so seal the metal. Im gonna spray the glass channels with the pepper gray metallic used on the movie car and have the glass put in next week. Its not gonna be painted for a while, but putting the glass in will allow me to put the interior in, then I can put the windows up and not get the interior all dusty while doing body work.

before:
img2251g.jpg

img2252.jpg

img2253p.jpg

img2254fv.jpg

stripper doin' work:
img2255q.jpg

img2256o.jpg

all scraped off and wire wheeled.

img2263kf.jpg

img2261f.jpg

img2260p.jpg

img2264r.jpg

img2265b.jpg

primed and ready to go

img2268w.jpg

img2269j.jpg

img2271c.jpg

img2266oo.jpg

img2272kp.jpg

img2273uy.jpg

Last edited:

1967eleanor

Established Member
today's update, nothing big I only had about 2 hours to work so. I stripped the paint off the roof, and found some surface rust underneath. So it hit it with the sander with some 60 grit to get most of it off then sprayed some rust neutralizer from eastwood co, followed by epoxy primer. There are a few dents at the rear of the roof that ill hammer/dolly out tomorrow, but so far no bondo!:bowdown

img2274d.jpg

img2275h.jpg

img2278hg.jpg

more stripper fun

img2279t.jpg

img2280.jpg

img2281f.jpg

more sanding

img2282.jpg

little primer

img2283v.jpg

img2284g.jpg

after dinner I stripped the pass side door and fender. I found some good new and some bad,I found a bit of cheese on the pass front fender, nothing too bad but its gotta be fixed, but the good news is the door is perfect, no rust or bondo.

img2285y.jpg

img2286q.jpg

primer

img2288l.jpg

img2287.jpg

I stripped the drivers door, once again its perfect with no bondo.

img2294o.jpg

I also stripped the inside of the pass door that is exposed once the door panel is on, it has a texture to it so I couldn't sand it like I could all of the outside.

img2293c.jpg

all sanded and primed

img2295l.jpg

img2296h.jpg

I got most of the front fender stripped, I'm holding off on the bottom because I have to take the fender down to the bodyshop and weld the emblem holes shut.

img2297d.jpg

img2299z.jpg

1967eleanor

Established Member
I brought the fenders to the bodyshop yesterday and did a bit of work on them. The drivers fender was fine no bondo or damage, I just needed to weld the emblem holes. The passenger side was a different story however,It weighed about twice as much as the other fender, never good. I ground out all of the old bondo and found a ton "wormholes" Holes created when using a slide hammer. However rather then welding up the holes and doing it right they just caked the bondo on. So I ground all of the old stuff off, hammered and dollyed the dents, welded up the holes. which was a major pain in the ass because the metal was really really thin and it kept burning through. then I blocked the rest.

drivers fender before
img2300e.jpg

and after

img2301j.jpg

The antenna hole on the passenger side.
img2302h.jpg

all gone

img2303n.jpg

and now the start of the fun stuff

notice the bondo in the emblem holes

img2304s.jpg

img2305i.jpg

more fun under the bondo

img2306z.jpg

all gone

img2307q.jpg

and the worst

img2311d.jpg

img2312xv.jpg

all blocked

img2314wr.jpg

img2313m.jpg

last night me and the mad scientist recovered the rear lower seat.

img2316b.jpg

And the next project while im waiting on body parts will be turning these mint, front seats into something more fitting for the car.

img2315qc.jpg

puts the seat button on.

img2317n.jpg

img2318u.jpg

I spent more time on the trunk today and finally got it fitting as good as its gonna get. I had to install rubber bumpers and take 1/4 inch out of the trunk latch.The drivers endcap is 1/2 inch shorter than the passenger which explains the gap. ill add some fiberglass to get everything to line up real nice.

before

img2236j.jpg

img2320b.jpg

the latch all welded

img2319g.jpg

and after

img2323uv.jpg

img2321g.jpg

img2322e.jpg

img2324v.jpg

I got some body panels in the mail today. I got the upper scoops, the upper nose piece and the lower nose support. The lower valence is on backorder so I wont have it for another week or two. The scoops fit nice and will only need a little trimming to fit the body contour. The upper nose fit isn't too bad either, its gonna need some blocking/filling to be even with the fender.

img2326x.jpg

img2327qn.jpg

img2330ao.jpg

img2332s.jpg

support

img2333v.jpg

starting to look like something.

img2335p.jpg

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
I have to say that I cant agree with you more on how most of the "Elenor" cars I have seen look like ass and just dont quite make the grade compared to the actual movie car. Theres always somthing off about the other cars and I cant ever really pinpoint what it is but it "just aint quite right". I hope you are a man of your word and take your time to get it right cause Ive been waiting to see one and say "yep, thats it, nailed it". Are you a bodyman by trade cause it seems like you know what you're doing?

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
It looks great. I was never a fan of copycat cars though. This would look great in black paint/ grey accents... like a reverse of the movie car's colors.

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
great job so far and good luck with it. Fiberglass for classic cars is always a pain in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread