Don't see this too often - 1969 Dodge Super Bee vs. C6 Vette

Nick_B95GT

Established Member
if that super bee has the 440 6-pack,, those were makin loads of power for there time,,no telling what it has 40 yrs later

jfsram

Established Member
It didn't take much to get a stock musclecar to run faster. Back then a "cat back" system was not a 10hp gain, exhaust would knock 3 or 4 tenths off. Removing a single ex system could take a second off.
A "tune" sometimes have a second, they called it a power tune.

Had a 70 Road Runner. Swapped in a 440. It was rebuilt but the only things added for power was hand ported heads, bigger hydraulic camshaft 0.509" lift, carb, intake, headers, stall convertor and slicks. This ran an 11.49 @ 118.
I was 18 years old when I had this car and I claim to know very little about tuning. There was probably more on the table.

and there was many solid lift cam, and high compression cars that could beat me.

kyhemi-dart

03 Zinc Cobra
Established Member
Def a C6, the running lights on a C5 are further down the front bumper, not to mention the pop up headlights...C6

Planter

Banned
old car nostalgia is dead. fun to look at, impractical to own and drive anymore.

all the knuckleheads spending big money on big block engines and making 700-800, that gets 6-7 mpg and only drive their cars on nice sunny days.

while new car technology, fuel injection and stand alone engine management systems and computer based dyno tuning allow for bigger power from smaller cubic inch displacement, i.e. a 4.6 DOHC with a whipple 3.4, putting down 700+ and still maintaining complete streetability, and 20+ mpg fuel economy.

you can go big without breaking the bank.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
old car nostalgia is dead. fun to look at, impractical to own and drive anymore.

all the knuckleheads spending big money on big block engines and making 700-800, that gets 6-7 mpg and only drive their cars on nice sunny days.

while new car technology, fuel injection and stand alone engine management systems and computer based dyno tuning allow for bigger power from smaller cubic inch displacement, i.e. a 4.6 DOHC with a whipple 3.4, putting down 700+ and still maintaining complete streetability, and 20+ mpg fuel economy.

you can go big without breaking the bank.

I agree but theres just something about driving a big block muscle car. Take my 68 cobrajet torino it gets lousy mileage like you mentioned and isnt the quickest thing out there but theres just something about crusing around in a car like that. Maybe its the attention it gets lol. I have contemplated selling it a few times to move into a whippled of KB terminator but just dont see it being the same.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread