Science nerds. Richard Dawkins and Neil deGrasse Tyson have a discussion.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
^ yes lol

Just finished it. AWESOME. Tyson is amazing at explaining things that are very complex and he has great questions.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
When he compared the 1% difference of our genome to chimps and how that could correlate to us only being about 1% more intelligent than them I about shat my heart out my ass. What a ****ing trip.

Cool video.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
****. I wanted to go to bed, but this discussion is just too mind-blowingly good.

NDG's first statement also blew me away in how it manages to sum up *real* science and the proper scientific method:

"Well, Richard. First of all. You said you were told it so you have to believe it. I will never require you to believe anything. It will only ever be about how compelling is the evidence to you."

joeg215

Established Member
When he compared the 1% difference of our genome to chimps and how that could correlate to us only being about 1% more intelligent than them I about shat my heart out my ass. What a ****ing trip.

Cool video.

One of my favorite analogies is the one about the worm. We see the worm and know its there but we really don't "care" about it, or want to interact with it. At the same time,the worm might sense us being present but it has no idea how incredibly more advanced we are from it.

What if we (humans) are worms to other beings out in the universe? They don't really give a damn about us and we can't even fathom how superior they are to us.

Thats where i shat myself lol

Last edited:

346CamaroSS

Established Member
I was going to bitch at you for keeping me up then I noticed you were in Miami

yao_ming_meme_new_version_hd_by_guillersevilla-d3dwein.png

joeg215

Established Member
Lol sorry bro, yeah I don't sleep as much as I should. Get some sleep man and dream about the cosmos haha

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Man. I'd love to spend an hour just conversating with these two, especially NDG. I might look like a slack-jawed idiot next to them, but it'd be worth it. Then again, I don't know if my brain would be able to handle the overload.

joeg215

Established Member
Ha, agreed. I like how they advocate not only science, but the desire to pursue science. He says children are not the ones that need to be taught that but the adults who have had the curiosity beaten out of them.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
Man. I'd love to spend an hour just conversating with these two, especially NDG. I might look like a slack-jawed idiot next to them, but it'd be worth it. Then again, I don't know if my brain would be able to handle the overload.

Conversing

But yes, I agree. Having even 15 minutes of face time with these two would be nothing short of enlightening. Great video OP. :beer:

I love the discussion about the possibility that life could have started on Mars, and could have been ejected during some bombardment event and debris from that could have seeded life here on Earth.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Neil deGrasse Tyson is a fantastic conveyer of science.

For those that find interest in this discussion, you may find the same here:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9UvnrARf8"]Something From Nothing - a conversation w/ Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss - ASU Feb 4, 2012 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
That's the proper, book-recommended usage, yes. However "conversate" and its gerund derivative, "conversating" is a non-standard, but otherwise accepted form: Conversating - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

While it may be "accepted" now (IMO simply because many people use it too often), it's still a poorly contrived non-standard word. If Webster announced tomorrow that "ax" or "aks" were acceptable variations of the word ask, or "interpretate" as the verb form of interpretation, I still wouldn't use any of them in conversation... But to each their own.

:thumbsup:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
While it may be "accepted" now (IMO simply because many people use it too often), it's still a poorly contrived non-standard word. If Webster announced tomorrow that "ax" or "aks" were acceptable variations of the word ask, or "interpretate" as the verb form of interpretation, I still wouldn't use any of them in conversation... But to each their own.

:thumbsup:

Trust me, I'm with you on this. Inasmuch as I hate the word "judgment" over what I consider the proper version "judgement," or how I detest the [non-]word "irregardless," I think of "conversate" as an "evolved slang."

"Interpretate," I believe, will never sound natural to me even if it became an accepted term, whereas "conversate" does. Just as "google" can now be used in all-lowercase, as a verb.

But I digress.

Going back to the topic, what a ****ing waste that last question from the audience was. Am I the only one thinking that was someone with an agenda? I won't name names, but most of the ones that watched that video all the way through would know what I am implying.

1hot281

Established Member
Going back to the topic, what a ****ing waste that last question from the audience was. Am I the only one thinking that was someone with an agenda? I won't name names, but most of the ones that watched that video all the way through would know what I am implying.

Yeah, a few seconds into that last question, you could already tell nothing productive was going to come of it. Dr Tyson's response was great.

04svtsnke

Established Member
One of my favorite analogies is the one about the worm. We see the worm and know its there but we really don't "care" about it, or want to interact with it. At the same time,the worm might sense us being present but it has no idea how incredibly more advanced we are from it.

What if we (humans) are worms to other beings out in the universe? They don't really give a damn about us and we can't even fathom how superior they are to us.

Thats where i shat myself lol

Just wiped up my mess as well. That took my mind to a completely different level of aww. It's a fantastic analogy. The point made about life being present somewhere else in the universe based just on the fact that the universe is comprised of the five basic elements in our bodies was also very mind-opening to me.

Users who are viewing this thread