Z06 picked on the wrong Benz

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So it's a beautiful NorCal day out yesterday, and I'm cruising around hwy 280 in the SL65 (now featuring a KLEEMANN ECU... 680HP, 860 FT/LBS :D ) with the top down just enjoying the sunny weather.

In my rearview I see a black spec gaining rapidly (I'm going ~70) and within a few more moments a black Z06 with tinted windows and a loud exhaust pulls up alongside me and starts pacing. I get this occasionally - people don't know about the '65s, and think I'm in an SL55; from the rear they look the same.

I look over and grin. The Z revs his engine. I drop the SL into 3rd (about 3500 RPM) and point him forward. I hear the Z downshift, and then the engine roars and it starts to pull forward with a classic V8 snarl. I nail the throttle on the SL, there's just a moment of pause as the turbos spool up to their new 25 PSI threshold, and then a giant invisible hand reaches out, grabs the Z06, and stops it in its tracks. The effect is almost comical - not quite what I used to see in the yellow RT/10, but not too far off. The SL leaps past the Z, the speedometer reeling off the numbers in 1-second intervals like some video game gone mad. 80... 92... 105... 113... 121... 127... and I look in my rearview to see the Z many carlengths back and fading quickly. 130 is *ahem* probably fast enough for the public road, so I apply the binders and bring things back down to quasi-legal speeds.

The Z pulls up alongside again, and down comes the tinted window. The fellow driving looks over, shakes his head, and gives me a huge grin and a big big thumbs up, which I enthusiastically return.

I love this car!!

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
treynor, you the man! :beer: in one of your vids you were at the drag strip and ride of the valkyries was playing and when i got to the part of your post when you noticed that it was a Z06 i couldn't help but picture elmer fudd singing "kill the chevy..kill the chevy"...lol! so anyway, when you put your foot in it did you take a quick trip back to 1985 ...lol! seriously though, 860ft/lbs..... :eek: wow! you said you have a Kleeman ECU, did you decide not to go to Renntech? if so, how come? also, have you been to the strip since the drag radials and/or the ECU?

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Whenever I first started reading this kill, I got to your numbers and out of nowhere shouting jesus titty ****ing christ!

Good kill. You need to get a vid like you did of your viper, but inside your sl.

boosted99si

Established Member
i thought i was doing well for being 17 and having a roush stage 3....but good god thats a really sweet car my uncle got one but i dont think he races it NICE KILL

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
> i thought i was doing well for being 17 and having a roush stage 3

You are :) When I was 17 I had a bone stock red Mustang 5.0 LX HB. It's amazing what a couple decades'll do for a guy.

tjmpaintball06

Established Member
im 16 and im just now getting rid of my first car. its a 1995 cobra with exhaust, cai, saleen wing, projector headlights, and a pioneer system. Im selling it, its in autotrader - check it out if your interested.

Im selling out and getting a wrx... i dont think ill ever be as happy but my parents dont like my car and want me to get something safer so....

MARK C

Established Member
At least you had a MUSTANG!! I got a rusted out, slant 6, orange, 1970 duster! But if I remember right, I was Happy as hell to get it! Yes times have changed! lol

hj16

Established Member
treynor said:
the speedometer reeling off the numbers in 1-second intervals like some video game gone mad. 80... 92... 105... 113... 121... 127... and I look in my rearview to see the Z many carlengths back and fading quickly.
Mmmm, Tasty :beer:

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
treynor said:
The effect is almost comical - not quite what I used to see in the yellow RT/10, but not too far off.

yeah but does it scare you like the viper did? I doubt it seeing the extra 50+ K you spent for the SL gave you a better engineered chassis.

Nice story.

Almo

Established Member
treynor said:
Now featuring a KLEEMANN ECU... 680HP, 860 FT/LBS :D

Nice numbers.

Didn't Kleemann get 640 out of the SL55... Seeing how the 5.5 and 6.5 is a hundred HP difference, looks like your SL65 has a lot more in it with little more work. :thumbsup:

How does Kleemann compare to Brabus?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread