300C SRT8 vs Camaro Z28

S8ER01Z

Established Member
300C SRT8 - Unknown Mods (I am sure it was stock)
LS1 Z28 - FRA (free ram air mod), 1LE springs

I've been wanting to run an SRT8 since I got the car just to find out how bad I would get killed. (Well according to most SRT8 owners anyways)...

Was on the way home today cruise set at 73 and I saw the 300 sitting behind me and slowly creeping up for several miles. Obviously it had it's cruise set a couple mph more than me so no big deal and I dismissed it as a 3.5L for a while. Several miles after it was finally passing me and I caught the 300C logo on the side and as the rear cleared my view the SRT8 badge on the back. Sweet.

The lady driving continued past and then moved back to the right lane. I moved to the left and pulled up even with her. I waited to see if she would look over so I could give her a thumbs up but she never did so I dropped to third and shot past her then moved back over ahead of another car and set the cruise again.

A few moments later I glanced in the mirror and saw her move into the left lane and come floating up at a good pace. Then she slows up next to me and is smiling like a fool... I glance down and we are sitting at just over 70mph so I slow up a bit to keep a 70mph pace and shift into third... We both glance over at each other and I give her the motion to go. She goes WOT and I hit the gas as soon as I hear it. We run side by side through my third with me slowly creeping a few inches ahead near the top of the gear (maybe pulled 6 inches ahead) then I shift to 4th and she pulls back a couple inches as I shift. I sit through 4th with it dead even until I reach the top of 4th and slowly seem to creep a bit... just as I am getting ready to shift to 5th (almost an assured death from the information Deuuce has presented regarding gearing) she lets off. I don't even think I can declare my self winner here as it was way to close... Her passenger mirror was dead acrossed from me when I looked over the very last time. :beer:

Cliff Notes:
Ran a 300C SRT8 with my LS1 Z28 M6
Side by Side
Result - Tie (I pulled a few inches during the run but it was to close to call it a kill IMHO)

:beer:

Last edited:

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
The SRT GC has AWD and from a dig or slow roll makes them seem alot faster than they truly are. From a 40mph+ roll the aerodynamics play a bigger role and make the GC well like the guy before me said like a brick. Side note: I'd rock one as a daily driver for sure.

BumbleBeeGTO

Established Member
The SRT GC has AWD and from a dig or slow roll makes them seem alot faster than they truly are. From a 40mph+ roll the aerodynamics play a bigger role and make the GC well like the guy before me said like a brick. Side note: I'd rock one as a daily driver for sure.

Yep. The jeep is only faster from a dig because the AWD platform. A roll race is a different story for it.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Thanks guys..I was expecting to either creep away slowly or the SRT8 to creep on me slowly but we ended up dead even... totally unexpected.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Nice run. If I remember correctly, the 300 is the fastest of the SRT models.

No, but a 300C does have the best stock time. There is no difference between the LXs for all practical purposes.

^ I'm pretty sure the jeep is a lot faster.

No, just more consistently QUICKER due to excellent 60fts. A good LX run will be quicker and definitely faster by 5mph or so.

Thanks guys..I was expecting to either creep away slowly or the SRT8 to creep on me slowly but we ended up dead even... totally unexpected.

Since you posted both spots...I caught it here too...

The lady driving

Nice kill but I'll give 20:1 odds she kept the ESP fully on....

I glance down and we are sitting at just over 70mph so I slow up a bit to keep a 70mph pace and shift into third...

The fact SHE raced any worthy car (yours) from 70mph, the absolute dead-spot in 3rd gear, further reinforces my theory.

Too bad you didn't race someone who knows their own car.... :)

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Sounds dead on going by the numbers in your sig..Good runs. Even though the SRT8 has nearly 100hp on you, you got way better aerodynamics and about 8-900lbs less weight.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Since you posted both spots...I caught it here too...

I figured you would catch it in one of the sites. :)

Nice kill but I'll give 20:1 odds she kept the ESP fully on....

I doubt she knows what ESP is any more than I do. :) I didn't know it made a difference from a roll... Does it change the shifting, shift points, tune? Curious on how much it would have helped her.

The fact SHE raced any worthy car (yours) from 70mph, the absolute dead-spot in 3rd gear, further reinforces my theory.
I'm not sure she had a clue what I was driving... Haha. What speed would have been good for the SRT? How big is the dead spot? I was sitting at 4100rpm at 70mph but wasn't comfortable dropping down to 2nd at that speed... Next time I get the chance I would like to know what speed to setup so it's not caught in that deadspot.

Ah well I tried to be fair and skipped the three honk and gave her the hit.

Too bad you didn't race someone who knows their own car.... :)

Maybe next time. :)

Last edited:

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Nice race man. Im actually impressed that it was able to keep with you from that high of a speed. Your 6speed and lighter weight would have put you a little more out I would have thought. But then again those 6.1 Hemi's are very stout engines even bone stock.

Deuuuce

Established Member
I figured you would catch it in one of the sites. :)

Absolutely! I've been busy with the new job and writing car articles but had some free time! :)

I doubt she knows what ESP is any more than I do. :) I didn't know it made a difference from a roll... Does it change the shifting, shift points, tune? Curious on how much it would have helped her.

It just seems to retard timing. At the track, it seems to mean roughly .3 ET and 2, maybe 3mph? Perhaps shifting isn't as firm but I can't perceive it, when stock.
I'm not sure she had a clue what I was driving... Haha. What speed would have been good for the SRT? How big is the dead spot? I was sitting at 4100rpm at 70mph but wasn't comfortable dropping down to 2nd at that speed... Next time I get the chance I would like to know what speed to setup so it's not caught in that deadspot.

Ah well I tried to be fair and skipped the three honk and gave her the hit.

You're a good sport. 70mph is a monster dead spot. At WOT the 2-3 shift occurs at just over 80mph. If on the highway, holding 2nd at 55mph is really good for the SRT-8, even 60mph.

When I much closer to stock, 70mph vs. an E39 M5 meant it got 1.5-2 CLs on me. At 55mph it was a 1+ CL advantage to me. It's really bad, even when tuned.

Maybe next time. :)

Keep us posted! :beer:

Deuuuce

Established Member
Sounds dead on going by the numbers in your sig..Good runs. Even though the SRT8 has nearly 100hp on you, you got way better aerodynamics and about 8-900lbs less weight.

What is the frontal area on an Fbody? The .cd is .33, correct?

A 300C is .36 x 25.8 sqr ft of frontal area = 9.3 sq ft.

A Charger would be .355 x 25.8 (or less) = .916 sq ft (or less).

Fbody?

The weight differential is minimized quite a bit at that speed.

S8ER01Z

Established Member

Fbody?

The LT1 was a .34 and GM never actually flowed the LS1 design so it's always 'assumed' to be .33 but no one is really 100% as far as I know.

I also lowered the car two inches with my springs so It's probably slightly improved over stock if I am not mistaken.

I show 22 frontal area and .33 for the 4th gen (1998+) cars...

.33 x 22.0 = 7.26 If that helps any. :beer:

Weight difference at those speeds are certainly minimized. :beer:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Absolutely! I've been busy with the new job and writing car articles but had some free time! :)

Always appreciated. :beer:

It just seems to retard timing. At the track, it seems to mean roughly .3 ET and 2, maybe 3mph? Perhaps shifting isn't as firm but I can't perceive it, when stock.

So it might not have made a big difference here.. more than likely just the dead spot was holding her back.

You're a good sport. 70mph is a monster dead spot. At WOT the 2-3 shift occurs at just over 80mph. If on the highway, holding 2nd at 55mph is really good for the SRT-8, even 60mph.

When I much closer to stock, 70mph vs. an E39 M5 meant it got 1.5-2 CLs on me. At 55mph it was a 1+ CL advantage to me. It's really bad, even when tuned.

Well I wanted to give her the hit so I knew she was going (wasn't sure if she would know what the 3 honks were for..haha)

55 or 60 would have been a better shot for me as well since I could have hit 2nd instead of sitting in 3rd... I think it would have been interesting just the same. Probably should have tried to slow it down but you have to work with what you have in those situations. :rockon: I will keep this information though for next time.

Keep us posted! :beer:
Will do man!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

Fbody?

If the weight differential was minimized at that speed the 300C should have ran away hard with almost 100hp more..:shrug: It's the same reason a 500hp Cobra gets raped by a 500hp Z06 at highway speeds..:banana:

As for aerodynamics, the 300C just seems like a barn door compared to the Camaro. I could be wrong though, maybe it made no difference at all.

Users who are viewing this thread