What car lift do you have and how much did you pay please.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
i starte a diff thread a few days ago asking about what large capacity air compressors u guys have and now i want to know lifts as well becaue iam most deffinately purchasing the both of them in the next month or 2. im leaning towards the 4 post drive on for safety reasons. i would feel more safe yanking a trans, etc. thanks

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I do not own one myself but a few of my friends do.
If I were to have only one lift it would be a two post lift.
The reason behind that is that you cannot perform much if any suspension or brake work on a drive on (4 post) lift.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
i was looking at several lifts on the internets (lol) and it seems as though the 4 post lifts have a "jacking" tray that if im not mistaken , allows you to jack up any point you wish so u can do suspension work. someone correct me if im wrong

Thump_rrr

Established Member
i was looking at several lifts on the internets (lol) and it seems as though the 4 post lifts have a "jacking" tray that if im not mistaken , allows you to jack up any point you wish so u can do suspension work. someone correct me if im wrong
It's still a PITA to work on.
The only reason I would consider a 4 post is if I needed the extra room created by storing one car on the lift and another beneath it.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
It's still a PITA to work on.
The only reason I would consider a 4 post is if I needed the extra room created by storing one car on the lift and another beneath it.

+1!!

You can do pretty much any work you want on a 2 post. But a 4 post drive on severely limits that. Even with a "jacking" tray your still limited by the ramps that are still very much in your way.

I've done a ton of work on my cars with a 2 post in my buddy's shop. He has a 4 post but that thing pretty much just stores a car most of the time.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
We've got a four post drive on. I forget the name brand. It's given good service over the years but I really want two post. No suspension work on the four post and my main grip is my dad's Lightning is too wide for it and you can forget putting mu Duramax on it.

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Go with a two post, we have both at the shop at the 4 post only gets used for the bigger trucks or when we just need to drive a car on it to look over it really quick. 2 post will give you more "freedom" to work. Ive pulled hundreds of trannys out under a 2 post and havent worried once.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Purchased a Bend-Pak 2 post Asymmetrical lift for 2900 installed. Has worked out great and is made in America. Works just as good as all the Rotary lifts I have ever used.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i have a sorta related question.

What kind of ceiling heights do you guys have to be able to use a two-post lift? My garage has what looks like 10 foot ceilings (haven't measured, we just moved in). I would love to have a lift, but I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile if the ceiling is too low.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i have a sorta related question.

What kind of ceiling heights do you guys have to be able to use a two-post lift? My garage has what looks like 10 foot ceilings (haven't measured, we just moved in). I would love to have a lift, but I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile if the ceiling is too low.

Im not sure on the exact height you need but I would say 10 foot is too small. Alot of it also depends on your height and what you are putting on it too. Plus what you are doing. For example you don't need a car as high for an oil change as you do for say a tranny swap or something. But I would say 10 foot is too low to get your monies worth out of a lift.

Ohms

Established Member
We have a Twin Post 10,000lb 12ft Rotary that we use to work on the cars with, and then 2, 4 post drive on Rotarys that we use as car stackers to get more room in the shop. its a 4800sq ft buildling, but still running out of room, too many toys haha.

I would recommend a twin post over a 4 post though, you have much more room to work with a Twin post, unless all your doing is tire rotations and oil changes (basic maintence), then a drive on 4 post with hydraulic sliding jacks will be fine.

-Shawn

Edit: for the guy with the 10ft ceiling. If your really planning on buying a lift, and you have an attic or some type of un-used space available above your garage, Id reccomend cutting out the cross beams then boxing it and raising the ceiling height above where the vehicle would raise to accomodate a few more feet. I know a guy who did this to allow his twin post to raise his cars up high enough to stand under. I believe he had a 10 or 12ft ceiling before aswell, now its more like a 10/12ft with a 16ft space above for anything to go into.

Also if anyone is worried about the car rocking on a twin post, I use a Hydraulic tripod jack on rollers, this way it supports the rear of the vehicle so it doesnt rock, and possibly fall off the lift. Ive done ALOT of work with this lift with zero problems, I could see it getting kind of scary at times (mostly the 6" Lift kit I installed a couple weeks ago) without having that rear jack supporting the back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread