Texas 2k11 Road trip horror story

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
OK here we go.....
I leave CA Tuesday night, trailer loaded with the car & a 55 of VP. I worked all day Tuesday, so when I get to El Paso TX I stop, and decide to get a little shut eye. Get my room at the Holiday Inn Express, sleep for about 5 hours wake, shower and get ready to leave.
I pull the truck around to the front of the hotel, so I can go inside and hit the breakfast bar to grab a couple of cinnamon rolls and some fruit for the road. Since I am parked under the awning in the front of the hotel, (and it's a little cold out) I leave the truck running. I get my food, grab a coffee and head back out to......nothing. It seems while I was inside (5 mins, max) someone hopped in the truck and took off. With my fawking car attached to it.
Oh SH**!!!
I rush the counter, screaming, CALL 911 SOMEONE JUST STOLE MY TRUCK & TRAILER!!!!
Amazingly the guy behind the counter was on it, picked up the phone immediately. Cops show up about 7 minutes later, get a vehicle description plate number, etc. While I am talking to one officer, the other is on the radio, calling the description in.
Fast forward 26 minutes.
The cops are just about to leave, when their radio goes off,a pursuit, I-10East about 20 miles from the hotel, Texas DPS is pursuing a Ford F-250 with an enclosed trailer attached, CA plates.
OH SH** that's my truck and trailer! Listen to the guy call out the pursuit for 10 minutes or so, when I hear the worst possible thing......
10-50, 10-50!
I guess the guy that stole my rig was changing lanes, got squirrely with the trailer, and wrecked.
Here comes the best part.....
When he wrecked, he flipped the truck and trailer. The 55 gallon barrel of VP I had in the back ignited, and exploded. I just saw the wreck, truck, trailer and my car are a complete loss, I'm ****ing stuck in Texas, not in Houston, and all of my shit is spread over I-10.
I guess staying at a Holiday Inn Express dose not necessarily make you smarter......
I left the truck running, parking lights on, I might as well of put a sign on it that said please take me.
Good news is that they have the guy on camera getting into the truck, so he will get the GTA charge, not some lessor plea......
Bad news, well you know the bad news....
I can't believe that my car, truck and trailer are now a smoldering worthless pile of scrap metal. Not to mention the fact that I lost my computer, camera, clothes and everything else.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Damn man. Sorry to hear that.

I'm assuming it was your cobra in the trailer?

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
HOLY SHIT! Man I am so sorry to hear that.. Good Luck and I hope everythign works out. That truly is a horror story. You definitely will never leave your keys in your truck again.... Good luck getting home, and I hope they fry the jerk that did that to you.

Tunink

Established Member
Man that sucks.... I bet it looked awesome kinda blowing up though, did the guy make it out alive or ?

ssssnake

Established Member
Never leave your car running - especially in El Paso. I'm surprised it didn't get to Mexico. I'm sorry that happened though. The assholes in some way usually destroy the vehicle they steal.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Look at it this way OP. Now you have no excuse to go out and buy that TT 5.4L Cobra that you test drove.... That will be your way of coming out of this stronger than before. :beer:

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
Damn man. Sorry to hear that.

I'm assuming it was your cobra in the trailer?
Yep car was in the trailer, going to 2k11 to go get smacked around. I was looking forward to meeting some members from this board. Always next year.

Look at it this way OP. Now you have no excuse to go out and buy that TT 5.4L Cobra that you test drove.... That will be your way of coming out of this stronger than before. :beer:

CobraMac's car is as good as mine. Hoping to get that deal done this week/early next depending on how a couple of situations work out. TT vert FTW! Although it would have been cool to have a vert and a coupe in the garage! :cuss:

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
I really want to have sympathy for you, but i cant.

How could you:

A. Even think it was remotely smart to stay in El Paso.
B. Leave your truck running unattended in El Paso.

Dude wake up and watch the news.

Sorry about your losses but i would say you were lucky your rig wasnt stolen while you were sleeping.

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Holy shit. That is insane. As I read through the story, especially the part about the race gas igniting, I thought it sounded too crazy to be real, although I have no doubts that isn't true.

Sorry for your bad luck, hopefully things will turn out better in the end.

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member

How could you:

Sorry about your losses but i would say you were lucky your rig wasn't stolen while you were sleeping.
+1 like the post says. "I guess staying at a Holiday Inn Express does not make you smarter." I am a complete tool for leaving my truck running. Didn't think about where I was, I guess I let the excitement about 2k11 cloud my judgement. It happens. Not my finest moment, by far.

Holy shit. That is insane. As I read through the story, especially the part about the race gas igniting, I thought it sounded too crazy to be real, although I have no doubts that isn't true.

Sorry for your bad luck, hopefully things will turn out better in the end.

I know, couldn't believe it when it happened. I swear, that story should have been a part of some TV show. Drama FTMFL! Want to know the strangest part? Story didn't make the news. I haven't read the El Paso local paper today, (back home in Los Angeles now) but I would have figured that I would have at least gotten some kind of local coverage? Although it's just another stolen car in a city that is littered with HUGE cartel problems.

Coiled03

Established Member

How could you:

Sorry about your losses but i would say you were lucky your rig wasnt stolen while you were sleeping.

Wouldn't leave my rig running, unattended ANYwhere.....**** that! That's just asking for trouble.

Still, sorry to hear about your loss, OP.

s|ck

Established Member
People are ****ing crazy these days, hopefully the insurance takes care of you and they lock that bastard up for a couple of decades.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
+1 like the post says. "I guess staying at a Holiday Inn Express does not make you smarter." I am a complete tool for leaving my truck running. Didn't think about where I was, I guess I let the excitement about 2k11 cloud my judgement. It happens. Not my finest moment, by far.

Ya i get ya man. Sometimes i like to give people the benifit of the doubt that they are as honest and good as i am, and right when i do that, i get ****ed.

Best wishes! Sucks it happened.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
OO man that sucks. Hopefully everything is taken care of the INS CO. Waiting for this explosion to be put up on youtube.

98slowbra

Established Member
I do not know how your insurance is on your truck, but here if you leave the keys in the truck and leave it and it gets stolen, insurance will not cover it, that is what I just hear. OP I am sorry this happened to you and hope they will cover your huge loss.

M3xpress

Established Member
That's crazy how all that went down. I think there might be some companies that have "keys in car" exlusions to their policies, but I think most comprehensive policies don't.

Even if someone makes a big mistake, it's insurance bc it's there to insure the risk of uncertain loss even if there's carelessness, that's how wrecks happen.

Hopefully you'll get everything taken care OP, at least it's a mistake you'll know to never make again.

Last edited:

MoreBoostPlease

Lifted and Boosted
Established Member
Wow. So sad to hear a cobra was lost in that way. Living in Pennsylvania, I never would have thought El Paso was that crime ridden. I often leave my car/truck running when I jump out for something quick but then again, I'm out in the burbs and would never do that if I was in Philly.

Users who are viewing this thread