Beginner DSLR camera

BABVenom98

Established Member
I would get the D3000, it is pretty damn good for a starter DSLR. You won't use half the crap on the D3100 until you learn some stuff. Just my opinion.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would get the Nikon 3100. yeah you won't use everything on it for a bit but it will save you from having to upgrade. Once you get started you are going to want to upgrade very shortly. with the 3100 that won't be a problem. Also I would highly recommend a photography course or two at your local community college before you develop bad camera habits LOL

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Canon Rebel XSI is good as well, alot of people recommend that for starters.

XSi is a good one as are the T1 or T2. Start small, maybe even try and find a good used one if you can so your not out a lot of money to start while learning. I personally have a T2I, T3I and a 7D. Just sold my XSi on ebay a few days ago.

Photography can be tough and confusing at first with all the strange terms like F-stop, ISO, shutter, aperture, pixel, AE Priority...it goes on and on.

Check with your local college or look in your local craigslist for anything to do with free basic photography classes or at least low cost beginners type stuff.

Taking pictures is half the battle these days. Processing is where it is at but that can be challenging as well. Take these two for example. Taken from the window of my car @ 80 mph. :)

6202056377_4f65fbe37f.jpg

And the processed version:
6197446231_3496e4673a.jpg

If you shoot in RAW format (learn this!) you can do some pretty tricky stuff with the image file in Photoshop or other programs. HDR processing is a neat trick and very popular trick as well.

While there are lots of choices, Nikon and Canon are the most user friendly, competitivly priced and both have a TON of additional crap you can buy for them later such as a huge array of lenses.

Last edited:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
how about a t2i ? and save some room for lens & memory card. if you shoot HD video buy a class 6+ & not a generic brand like transcend. I bought a class 6 16gb and barely recorded video. I upgraded to a class 10 sandisk 16 gb.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
how about a t2i ? and save some room for lens & memory card. if you shoot HD video buy a class 6+ & not a generic brand like transcend. I bought a class 6 16gb and barely recorded video. I upgraded to a class 10 sandisk 16 gb.

Nothing wrong with it at all. A little pricier for entry but it shares a lot of the high end features of the "pro-sumer" without the grand and up price tag. My 7D cost me right at 2 grand when I bought it back in 09.

I also have the T2i and I love it. It's become my 'take everywhere' camera and I find it easier to use than the 7D.

Last edited:

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Wow great info beer and everyone else ill mostly be taking pictures of my daughter rather than using our cell phones and the shutterspeed isn't very fast on our point n shoot to capture her "firsts"

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Wow great info beer and everyone else ill mostly be taking pictures of my daughter rather than using our cell phones and the shutterspeed isn't very fast on our point n shoot to capture her "firsts"
Problem is it will not stop there LOL! once you get that camera it will be like getting a cobra, one the picture taking bug hits it will leave you wanting more LOL

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Problem is it will not stop there LOL! once you get that camera it will be like getting a cobra, one the picture taking bug hits it will leave you wanting more LOL

That's exactly what happened to me man. A pro-photographer friend of mine came by one day with her stuff and ever since, I've been hooked. 6 years later and probably 5 grand later I'm still going. :thumbsup:

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Lol the wife has already told me I have too many hobbies lol my truck, RC helicopters and possibly now photography lol she isn't going to like this lol

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Lol the wife has already told me I have too many hobbies lol my truck, RC helicopters and possibly now photography lol she isn't going to like this lol

Mine is ok with all my hobbies. Between guitars (my #1), photography, cars, running, baseball and building electronics she has never griped. She has friends who's husbands live in bars or are never home.

I'm always here or she is with me so she is happy. :rockon:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am partial to Canon. Most pros I know shoot Canon.
Nothing wrong with Canon LOL! the photogs at National Georgraphic used to be almost exclusively Nikon but now there is a pretty good mix of canon and Nikon. There have been more Nikons on space craft as well.

BLK93GT

Established Member
I got a Canon T1i and so far it has worked out pretty good. I was used to Canon menus since I had a Canon p&s and had great luck so went with Canon. I also have Adobe Lighroom, love that program.

BTW -- I got a lot of great info from a few fellow svtp members before buying!!

kit 18-55 lens and a little work in lighroom one of the earlier pics I took..
5910846034_c772bd6990_b.jpg

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
Definitely go get your hands on both before you buy. Nikon people will obviously say Nikon, and Canon people will obviously say Canon. I myself am a Canon guy, but there's things about Nikon you may not like, and things about Canon you may not like. Go check out both and see which one fits you the best.

Users who are viewing this thread