Fat Girl on a Diet

Blaine

Established Member
After this month I will be done with all my cosmetic changes to my GT500.

Before I start slapping on Crazy amounts of horsepower I want to slim down the weight of my car first. Starting with the rotating parts first then to the others without going crazy in areas such as the rear seat deletes and removing sway bars. (If I wanted 2 seats I would be in a Z06.)

Here is a comprehensive list of what I have come up with so far. Totaling over 500 lbs+ in weight reduction!! 300 lbs+ is about all that is $$ feasable. The 3k for a short block alone is a bit much for my budget along with some of the other carbonfiber pieces.. 2k for 13 lbs savings is a bit extreme, but this is a WHAT IF I WAS Made of $$ list/or what is possible if $$ was no object.

1) Aluminum Driveshaft or Carbon Fiber Driveshaft ( -30lbs+) **Carbonfiber one from MMR weighs 1/2 the amount of Alum. one and doesn't require a driveshaft loop
2) Crankshaft Balancer Pully {mines an 07} (-12 lbs)
3) Tubular K-Member (-20lbs)
4) Tubular A-Arms (-11.2lbs)
5) Braille Light Weight Battery (-17lbs) (-21lbs to -15lbs depending on the battery)
6) Alum. Short Block (-100lbs)
7) 2-Piece brake rotors Front/Rear (~-40lbs) {STRANGE} Using 2-piece other will ~12 lbs
8) Forged Wheels (~18lbs+depending on wheels and size)
9) Lightweight Seats Driver/pass (-57lbs)
10) Ford Racing Shorty headers (-9 lbs)
11) X-pipe NO CATS (-??lbs)
12) Lower Control Arms (-6lbs)
13) SLP Loud Mouth Exhaust or Magnaflow with Muffler delete (-22lbs)
--no mufflers--
14) Remover Rear Axles Dampers (-10lbs)
15) Carbonfiber Trunk @ $2,000[OEM weight??? - 8 lbs] (-??lbs)
16) Carbonfiber doors: 10 lbs each @ $4,000 (-??lbs) Need OEM weight
17) Carbonfiber fenders @ $890 each(-13 lbs for left + right fendors)
18) Panhard bar (-?? lbs)
19) Removed Rear Sub Box for Shaker 1000 (-56lbs)
20) Coil-over Front/rear suspension kit (-50lbs+) ***based on 50lbs Eibach Coilover kit weight compared to OEM suspension weight
21) Remove Strut Tower Brace (-4.5lbs)

=487.5lbs

Other Areas: (Lose handling/braking/passenger room) Drag Racing

1) Rear set Delete (-20lbs-30lbs) Anyone have exact numbers? alot of conflicting info on weights here.
2) Front Sway Bar Delete (-17lbs)
3) Radiator Support Brace Delete (-11lbs)
4) Drag Racing Brakes (-76.3 lbs)
5) Remove AC (-60lbs)
6) Delete Windshield Res. (-10lbs)
7) CARBON Fiber Seats 8lbs each (-another 34lbs!!) Put these down here, since they don't look very confortable for long hauls.
8) Shorty Antenna (-.001 lbs) :p
9) Remove all stereo wiring/subs/radio/speakers (-30lbs)

OVER 650 lbs+!!!!! if your going All out race... Watch out Z06's.... U just lost your edge.

I'm sure Im missing some areas. Thanks Kyl for your list as well, I added in alot of yours that I was missing. Feel free to chime in some others or correct anything I may of mistyped.

Stock GT500 Parts Weights:

Shaker 1000 Sub Assembly with Amplifier/brackets____________56 lbs
Hood__________________________________________________34 lbs
Battery________________________________________________36 lbs
Headers________________________________________________24 lbs
Rear Sway Bar__________________________________________19lbs
5.4L Iron Short Block_____________________________________230lbs
Stock Supercharger_______________________________________36lbs
OEM Shock_______________________________________________4lbs
OEM Spring ______________________________________________6lbs
OEM Wheels (Each)______________________________________36 lbs Front
______________________________________________________37 lbs Rear
Wheels + Tires__________________________________________58 lbs Front
______________________________________________________60 lbs Rear
Upper Strut Brace________________________________________4.5lbs
Stock Intake+filter_______________________________________7.0lbs
Stock Panhard Bar+Brace__________________________________9.5lbs

Last edited:

svtmadman

Established Member
I would like to do most of what your saying with exception of the shortblock $$..but agree with your list. I just got this pig and havent started the program but its in the works....got the 3.73 in yesterday and im waiting on a few things from shelby. Then im moving on to rotors and drivshaft. Thanks for the info!

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
1) Aluminum Driveshaft (-30lbs)
5) Braille Light Weight Battery (Stock 35lbs) 9lbs (-26lbs)
7) 2-Piece brake rotors Front/Rear (~-40lbs)
8) Forged Wheels (?? depends on wheels)
**I will have the weight difference between OEM and Alcoas soon
9) Carbon Fiber Hood or Fiberglass (-~10)

1) Rear set Delete (-40lbs)
5) Racing Front Seats (-? depends on seats)

I'm sure Im missing some areas. Feel free to chime in some others or correct anything I may of mistyped.

Rear LCA's (-6 lbs)
Remove the rear axle dampers (-10 lbs)
KR axlebacks (-8 lbs)

Blaine

Established Member
Still have some missing -lbs numbers in some areas. I will have soon. What else is there to do?

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Looks pretty good, I still need to weigh the battery and check the spec's to match it to Braille's equivalent. I also took out the back seat and I don't think I have ever felt a lighter back seat, ever! The top and bottom pieces combined probably weigh only 15-20lbs.

Seibon also makes Carbon Fiber Doors and Trunk Lid.

I was checking out a viper in the pics a vid section about a month or two ago, and it had the sickest set of carbon fiber seats I have ever seen. Each seat weighed 7 or 8 lbs.
http://www.tillett.co.uk/car-racing-seat.asp there prices are ridiculous though.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
Looks pretty good, I still need to weigh the battery and check the spec's to match it to Braille's equivalent. I also took out the back seat and I don't think I have ever felt a lighter back seat, ever! The top and bottom pieces combined probably weigh only 15-20lbs.

Seibon also makes Carbon Fiber Doors and Trunk Lid.

I was checking out a viper in the pics a vid section about a month or two ago, and it had the sickest set of carbon fiber seats I have ever seen. Each seat weighed 7 or 8 lbs.
Tillett Racing Seats - Home there prices are ridiculous though.

Those seats make my butt hurt just looking at them.

I just started my build of my GT500. I will have all parts weighed before and after.

I'll change the weight on the back seat removal then... got that weigh I posted from MMR's site.

Carbon Fiber doors and trunk... I sent Siebon an email to gather all the weights for everything they offer.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
Also, does anyone have the Weight difference between the stock supercharger compared to the Kenne bell or the whipple 2.9L/3.4L or the TVS??

I believe the Kenne bell adds a TON of weight, but I have no actual data on this. It would appear that the Whipple 2.9L or the TVS may not add as much.

Need some numbers.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
STOCK K member is 38# a BMR is 26# with control arms removed

STOCK control arms are 13# each with bushing and bracket

JEFF

ls1eater

Established Member
Was told if you went with the full griggs suspension you would save close to 300lbs.....if and when I choose to loose some weight I will be doing this putting the car in the 35xxlb range......minus other mods might be even lower(exhaust, engine mods, wheels...etc)

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Was told if you went with the full griggs suspension you would save close to 300lbs.....if and when I choose to loose some weight I will be doing this putting the car in the 35xxlb range......minus other mods might be even lower(exhaust, engine mods, wheels...etc)

There website says how much weight you remove by taking all the stock parts off, but not how much you put back on.

*edit added
From there site:
"The complete GR40 system saves considerable weight as well, and makes working on the car a breeze.
Using GR40 Alum spindles and Griggs 13.5” Sport Brake Kit, total OEM parts weight removed is 261 lbs.
Total installed GR40 front end weight removes 30 pounds from the front of the car, most of which is un-sprung."

Last edited:

USBlueStage2

Established Member
There website says how much weight you remove by taking all the stock parts off, but not how much you put back on.

Total installed GR40 front end weight removes 30 pounds from the front of the car, most of which is un-sprung."

Does this mean 30 lbs total weight loss?

I think the Griggs may improve weight bias front to rear. I think i read somewhere that it was 52/48 (griggs) v. 60/40 (stock).

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
--replace HID with regular lights

i know HID's have alot of transformers and stuff, anyone who has put them in knows this

Blaine

Established Member
I took out the Shaker 1000 sub assembly in the trunk. The box alone weighs in at 40 lbs even. Then take out the mounting brackets and amplifiers and its another 20 lbs. 60 lbs total. The stereo still sounds good and has some bass to it without the subs in the back. My music comes from the supercharger and the exhaust anyhow.

I'm sure that if you went all out and removed the door subs/amplifiers/speakers/wiring you can find another 30-40lbs, but then you would have no music at all.

60 lbs which will not be missed.:banana:

Blaine

Established Member
Weight reduction Update on going from OEM GT500 Hood to Truefiber hood. Updated exact weight of removing Shaker 1000 sub box and amps.

Did some research and made some calls to the people which sell these parts. Here are the weights:

Weight of STOCK GT500 Hood is 52 lbs. (*verified from 3 seperate sites that sell the OEM GT500 Hood)
Weight of Truefiber Hood is 38 lbs.

Weight savings of 14 lbs.:rolling:

Removing Shake 1000 sub encloser and amplifiers with mounts = 56 lbs.

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
1) Aluminum Driveshaft or Carbon Fiber Driveshaft ( -30lbs+) **Carbonfiber one from MMR weighs 1/2 the amount of Alum. one and doesn't require a driveshaft loop
5) Braille Light Weight Battery (-17lbs) (-21lbs to -15lbs depending on the battery)
7) 2-Piece brake rotors Front/Rear (~-40lbs) {STRANGE} Using 2-piece other will ~20 lbs
8) Forged Wheels (~10lbs depending on wheels and size)
9) True Fiber Hood (-14lbs)
10) Lightweight Seats Driver/pass (-57lbs)
11) Switch to Shorty headers (-7 lbs)
12) Switch to CarbonFiber/Fiberglass Hood (-??lbs)
--Truefiber hood on 1 month backorder: i will have this weight very soon as well--
13) Switch to Rear LCA (-6lbs)
14) Swith to SLP Loud Mouth Exhaust or Magnaflow with Muffler delete (-22lbs)
--no mufflers--
15) Remover Rear Axles Dampers (-10lbs)
16) Carbonfiber Trunk @ $2,000[OEM weight??? - 8 lbs] (-??lbs)
17) Carbonfiber doors: 10 lbs each @ $4,000 (-??lbs) Need OEM weight
18) Carbonfiber fenders @ $890 each(-13 lbs for left + right fendors)
19) Panhard bar (-?? lbs)
20) Removed Rear Sub Box for Shaker 1000 (-60lbs)

=410lbs

1) Rear set Delete (-20lbs-30lbs) Anyone have exact numbers? alot of conflicting info on weights here.
5) Off road X pipe (-?? lbs)
6) Remove AC (-60lbs)
7) Delete Windshield Res. (-10lbs)
8) CARBON Fiber Seats 8lbs each (-another 34lbs!!) Put these down here, since they don't look very confortable for long hauls.
9) Shorty Antenna (-.001 lbs) :p
10) Remove all stereo wiring/subs/radio/speakers (-30lbs)

OVER 600 lbs+!!!!! if your going All out race... Watch out Z06's.... U just lost your edge.

How much would all this cost? It would be cool to see a list of parts and their weight savings and an approximate cost.

Blaine

Established Member
How much would all this cost? It would be cool to see a list of parts and their weight savings and an approximate cost.

If you did every mod in the list... ALOT. Some the of weight loss is cheap and can be done at the same time as adding power or suspension mods. Others are pretty steep in price. The carbon fiber trunk and QTR panels are alone almost 8k+.

Users who are viewing this thread